Connect with us

FEATURED

Court Dismisses EFCC’s Lawsuit Against Olisa Metuh Over N400 Million Fraud

Published

on

The Federal High Court’s Abuja Division dismissed the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission’s (EFCC) request for a new trial against Olisa Metuh, the former national publicity secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), on Monday.

In a ruling, Justice Emeka Nwite referred to the seven-count criminal charge in a lawsuit filed by the EFCC with the file number FHC/ABJ/CR/05/2022 as “an abuse of court process.”

The anti-graft agency had brought the case before Mr. Nwite seeking a new trial for Mr. Metuh (the first defendant) and his business, Destra Investments Ltd., who was named as the second defendant.

Mr Nwite held that he agreed with the arguments of counsel for Mr Metuh, Afam Osigwe and lawyer to his company, Tochukwu Onwugbufor, that while the matter was pending before the Supreme Court, it was a gross abuse of the court for the commission to have filed the same matter for retrial before him.

The matter, which was number eight on the cause list, was scheduled for Mr Metuh, who was in court, to take his plea.

However, at the resumed hearing, Mr Nwite asked counsel for the EFCC, Olanrewaju Adeola, about the current position of the matter.

Advertisement
Article Banner

Mr Adeola informed that Mr Metuh was convicted by the trial court and went to the Court of Appeal, where the lower court’s decision was upturned.

Responding, Mr Osigwe said Mr Metuh got information about the matter at the court on social media that the case would commence.

He, however, said he had earlier discussed with the EFCC lawyer on the current position of the matter “because there is a pending appeal at the Supreme Court in suit number: SC/ CR/583/2021 between FG Vs. Olisa Metuh and another.

Mr Onwugbufor, who spoke in the same vein, said he filed a motion, a written application before the court to clear any doubt about the position of the suit.

“The application is dated September 20, 2022, and filed on September 22, 2022,” he said.

He said after the appeal by Mr Metuh and his company at the Court of Appeal, it was decided that the High Court’s judgement was nullified and ordered a new trial.

Advertisement
Article Banner

He said besides the prosecution, which appealed against that judgement at the Supreme Court, Mr Metuh and his company also appealed against the said Appeal Court judgement.

The senior lawyer said that the anti-corruption agency approached the apex court because the Appeal Court did not determine the whole appeal.

Mr Onwugbufor said that was why he came with the motion on notice to enable the court to determine whether it could try Metuh or not.

Mr Adeola, who represented the EFCC, however, prayed that rather than striking out the suit, the court should adjourn the matter sine die (indefinitely) pending the hearing and determination of the appeal before the apex court.

However, Mr Osigwe argued that Mr Adeola’s submission was an admission that the present charge was an abuse of the court process, urging the court to do the needful.

He further said striking out the suit would not be prejudicial to the commission.

Advertisement
Article Banner

Corroborating Mr Osigwe’s argument, Mr Onwugbufor said though the court had the discretion to either strike out or adjourn the matter indefinitely, he stressed that even after the apex court’s decision on the matter, he doubted if the matter would be reassigned to Mr Nwite.

“This is so because the matter can be heard at the Appeal Court, and it will go back to the Supreme Court for final decision. So I urge my lord to strike it out,” he said.

In his ruling, the judge said after listening to the submissions of the counsel in the suit, there was no way the matter could come back to his court without resolving the issues before the Supreme Court.

“I agree with the argument of the first defendant concurred by the second defendant that it is an abuse of court process, and I so hold,” he said.

He then struck out the suit for being an abuse of the court process.

On June 22, the court had ordered that hearing notices of the next adjourned date fixed for today (September 26) be served on Mr Metuh, who was not in court and counsel for the EFCC.

Advertisement
Article Banner

Mr Metuh was jailed over an allegation that he received the sum of N400 million from the former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, before the 2015 presidential election, without contract approval or execution.

His earlier conviction followed a seven-count charge that was preferred against him and his firm by the EFCC. 

(NAN)

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
COMMUNITY REPORT5 hours ago

Ogorugba Lauds Oborevwori on Newly Inaugurated Ozoro Ultra-Modern Market

Omo-Agege
FEATURED7 hours ago

Omo-Agege: How an Assassination Squad Attacked NDC Campaign, Threatened to Kill Me and My Coordinator in Delta

FEATURES9 hours ago

Demonstration Of Ignorance — Tinubu Rejects Subsidy Restoration Demands

FEATURED9 hours ago

‘Take Me Back to Senate’ — Omo-Agege Flags Off 2027 Campaign, Slams Oborevwori ‎

FEATURES11 hours ago

Sowore Blasts Adeleke Over Tinubu Visit Amid Osun Violence

FEATURED13 hours ago

Tinubu Receives Re-Elected Adeleke at Aso Rock, First Meeting Since Osun Victory

FEATURED18 hours ago

Oil Resumption: MOSOP Assures Ogoni People of a Good Deal, Announces Minor Cabinet Changes

Defense and Security20 hours ago

Tinubu Assigns Famadewa to Lead Service Chiefs, Ribadu for 5-Year National Security Threat Assessment, Defence Strategy Development

FEATURES21 hours ago

2027: Extend Your Love For Me To President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

FEATURES21 hours ago

Oborevwori Sets to Inaugurate Perm Secretaries Quarters Today

FEATURES22 hours ago

Omo-Agege Warns Delta Gov: You’ll be Held Responsible If My Family or I Come Under Attack as Campaigns Begin

Defense and Security1 day ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES1 day ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED1 day ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES1 day ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner