Connect with us

FEATURED

Anti-Tinubu’s Post: Sowore Counter-sues DSS, Meta, X; Asks Court To Stop Social Media Platforms From Deleting His Posts

Published

on

sowore

Human rights activist and SaharaReporters publisher, Omoyele Sowore, has sued the State Security Service (SSS), also known as Department of State Services (DSS), Meta (owners of Facebook), and X Corp. (formerly Twitter) at the Federal High Court in Abuja, challenging what he described as unconstitutional censorship of his social media accounts.

In a suit filed on his behalf by his lawyer, Tope Temokun, Sowore asked the court to restrain the DSS from directing global social media platforms to delete his posts, including one in which he referred to President Bola Tinubu as a “criminal.”

“These suits were filed to challenge the unconstitutional censorship initiated by the DSS/SSS against Sowore’s accounts maintained with Meta and X,” a statement signed by Temokun on Tuesday, said.

“The lawsuit states categorically that this is about the survival of free speech in Nigeria. If state agencies can dictate to global platforms who may speak and what may be said, then no Nigerian is safe, their voices will be silenced at the whim of those in power.”

He argued that censorship of political criticism was alien to democracy, citing Section 39 of the 1999 Constitution, which guarantees freedom of expression.

“The Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, in Section 39, guarantees every citizen the right to freedom of expression, without interference. No security agency, no matter how powerful, can suspend or delete those rights,” the statement said.

“Meta and X must also understand this: when they bow to unlawful censorship demands, they become complicit in the suppression of liberty. They cannot hide behind neutrality while authoritarianism is exported onto their platforms.”

Advertisement
Article Banner

The suit seeks declarations that the DSS has no legal authority to censor Nigerians on social media, that Meta and X must not allow their platforms to be used as tools of repression, and that Sowore’s rights and those of other Nigerians be fully protected against unlawful interference.

“We call on all lovers of freedom, journalists, human rights defenders, and the Nigerian people to stand firm. Today it is Sowore; tomorrow it may be you,” it said.

“This struggle is not about personalities. It is about principle. And we shall resist every attempt to turn Nigeria into a digital dictatorship.”

Sowore, a former presidential candidate, has frequently clashed with security agencies over his criticisms of successive Nigerian governments.

Background

Earlier on Tuesday, SaharaReporters reported that the DSS had filed criminal charges against Sowore at the Federal High Court in Abuja.

Advertisement
Article Banner

Also named as the 1st and 2nd defendants in the suit are X Corp. (owners of the social media platform X) and Meta Platforms Inc., the parent company of Facebook.

Court documents obtained by SaharaReporters on Tuesday show that the DSS filed a five-count charge at the registry of the Federal High Court, accusing Sowore of defaming President Bola Ahmed Tinubu by calling him a “criminal.” The charges, however, have not yet been assigned to any judge.

The charges, however, have not yet been assigned to any judge.

Also, no date has been fixed for Sowore’s arraignment.

The charges were filed on September 16, 2025, by M.B. Abubakar, Esq., Director of Public Prosecutions at the Federal Ministry of Justice (FMOJ), together with other counsel listed as M.E. Ernest, Esq., U.B. Bulla, Esq., C.S. Eze, and E.G. Orubor, Esq.

According to court documents, the DSS listed its exhibits as: a printout of the defendant’s tweet, a printout of the defendant’s Facebook post, a letter to X, a letter to Facebook, and the defendant’s subsequent posts regarding those letters.

Advertisement
Article Banner

The prosecution also indicated that additional evidence may be presented during the trial.

According to the charge sheet obtained by SaharaReporters, Counts One and Two accuse him of using his official X (Twitter) handle and Facebook page on August 25 and 26, 2025, to call President Bola Tinubu a “criminal” and accuse him of lying about ending corruption in Nigeria.

The prosecution alleges the posts were false and intended to cause a breakdown of law and order, contrary to Section 24(1)(b) of the Cybercrimes Amendment Act, 2024.

Counts Three and Four specifically frame the same posts as defamatory, claiming Sowore’s remarks damaged the reputation of the President.

Count Five accuses him of deliberately publishing false information across both platforms on August 26, 2025, with the alleged intent of inciting public fear and disturbing the peace.

Sowore, publisher of SaharaReporters and a long-standing critic of successive Nigerian governments, has faced multiple arrests, detentions, and court battles over the years, particularly relating to his activism and public criticism of political leaders.

Advertisement
Article Banner

The latest charges follow his recent public statements in which he described Tinubu as a criminal during the President’s recent visit to Brazil, where he stated that his government had eliminated corruption.

Last Friday, SaharaReporters reported that the DSS had formally written to Sowore, demanding the deletion of the social media posts in which he referred to President Tinubu as a “criminal,” citing the post as “false, malicious, and inciting”.

The agency warned that failure to comply would result in legal action to “protect national security and public order”.

But Sowore didn’t budge. In a public response, he declared that no amount of pressure would compel him to retract his statement.

He stated that his criticism of the government is part of his constitutional duty to hold leaders accountable.

Earlier, the agency petitioned Meta Platforms Inc., owners of Facebook and X (formerly Twitter), urging them to delete Sowore’s posts and deactivate his verified accounts.

Advertisement
Article Banner
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
COMMUNITY REPORT57 minutes ago

Isoko South Takes Delivery of 125 KVA Mini Farm Solar Power Supply for New Secretariat

FEATURED4 hours ago

‎2027: Lagos APC declares readiness, says ‘Tinubu’s journey to victory has begun’

COMMUNITY REPORT10 hours ago

Ogorugba Lauds Oborevwori on Newly Inaugurated Ozoro Ultra-Modern Market

Omo-Agege
FEATURED11 hours ago

Omo-Agege: How an Assassination Squad Attacked NDC Campaign, Threatened to Kill Me and My Coordinator in Delta

FEATURES14 hours ago

Demonstration Of Ignorance — Tinubu Rejects Subsidy Restoration Demands

FEATURED14 hours ago

‘Take Me Back to Senate’ — Omo-Agege Flags Off 2027 Campaign, Slams Oborevwori ‎

FEATURES16 hours ago

Sowore Blasts Adeleke Over Tinubu Visit Amid Osun Violence

FEATURED17 hours ago

Tinubu Receives Re-Elected Adeleke at Aso Rock, First Meeting Since Osun Victory

FEATURED23 hours ago

Oil Resumption: MOSOP Assures Ogoni People of a Good Deal, Announces Minor Cabinet Changes

Defense and Security1 day ago

Tinubu Assigns Famadewa to Lead Service Chiefs, Ribadu for 5-Year National Security Threat Assessment, Defence Strategy Development

FEATURES1 day ago

2027: Extend Your Love For Me To President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

FEATURES1 day ago

Oborevwori Sets to Inaugurate Perm Secretaries Quarters Today

FEATURES1 day ago

Omo-Agege Warns Delta Gov: You’ll be Held Responsible If My Family or I Come Under Attack as Campaigns Begin

Defense and Security1 day ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES2 days ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner