Connect with us

#CORONAVIRUS

COVID-19: Okowa Breaks Silence Amid Hunger Crisis In Delta

Published

on

Governor Ifeanyi Okowa has break his silence on the situation of the food palliatives he promised to release to low income people in Delta state, amidst hunger protest in Sapele, on Wednesday.

The COVID-19 lockdown in the state which began April 1, was extended by another 14-days by Governor Okowa who promised to open a ‘food bank’ recently established because of the hardship posed by the restrictions.

“We have also put up a food bank and we are getting the last supplies of our initial orders and by the grace of God, in the next 48 to 72 hours, food will be sent across to support those who do not have access to food in all wards of the State”, the governor had said during a state broadcast.

However, barely 48 hours after the broadcast, women joined by some children, poured into the streets, accusing the state government of insensitivity in the extension of the lockdown done without first sending relief materials to them.

Police says the protest was later hijacked by hoodlums.

But the governor Thursday, urged Deltans to exercise restrain as the distribution of the food items would commence Friday devoid of party’s affiliation, saying that he feels the pulse of the people at this critical times.

Advertisement
Article Banner

The governor spoke via his verified twitter handle after he inspected the food storage facility located in Ibusa, near Asaba which he established to cater for low income earners within the period of the COVID-19 lockdown.

The governor said that he inspected the facility to see the level of preparedness for the distribution of the food items to Deltans to cushion of effect of the COVID-19 lockdown.

“As we prepare to begin the distribution of food items to low-income families across the 25 LGAs in Delta State, today, I inspected the food bank warehouse at Ibusa, to assess our level of preparedness, he tweeted.

BIGPEN reports that so far, the state has recorded four cases of coronavirus with the latest recorded in Asaba, the state capital.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
Defense and Security7 hours ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES8 hours ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED10 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES11 hours ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Defense and Security12 hours ago

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke ‘Escapes Death’ as Gunmen Attack Convoy in Osogbo

Defense and Security14 hours ago

UNICEF Demands Urgent Release of 78 Abducted Borno Schoolchildren

secure number one position
FEATURES14 hours ago

FCT Police Arrest 40 Over Traffic Robbery, Kidnapping, Armed Robbery

FEATURES19 hours ago

‘No Ban On Nigerians’ — South Africa Dismisses Visa Stoppage Rumours

BUSINESS1 day ago

BOI Applauds Tinubu’s Reforms for Success of N250 Billion Bond

FEATURES1 day ago

Tinubu Warns Politicians: No Ethnic or Religious Politics Ahead of 2027

COMMUNITY REPORT1 day ago

Tantita Has Boosted Nigeria’s Oil Revenue, Employed Over 10.000 N’Delta Youths – Consultant

FEATURES2 days ago

Jonathan Warns Serving Govs, Others to Stop Converging on States with ‘Army of Aides’ During Off-circle Elections

Wike
FEATURES2 days ago

‘If Tinubu Didn’t Allow Free Poll, Adeleke Wouldn’t Have Won’ — Wike

political structure
FEATURES2 days ago

Abuja Water Channels: Wike Vows ‘No One Will Be Spared’ in Demolition Operation

FEATURED2 days ago

APC Primaries: Ejele Sets to Withdraw Suit Against Senator Joel-Onowakpo

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner