Connect with us

FEATURED

EFCC Begins Probe of Ex-NMDPRA MD Farouk Ahmed, Collates Data from Banks, Companies, and Swiss School

Published

on

Investigation into the activities of former Managing Director of the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority, Farouk Ahmed, following a petition filed by the Chairman of Dangote Industries, Aliko Dangote, has commenced by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The probe, according to EFCC sources, will include writing to the Swiss school where Ahmed’s children are enrolled.

Dangote had, in December 2025, petitioned the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, alleging that Ahmed spent about $7m on the secondary education of his children in Switzerland.

In the petition, Dangote accused Ahmed of abusing his office in violation of the Code of Conduct for Public Officers, alleging unlawful spending of public funds running into millions of dollars.

Dangote later withdrew the petition from the ICPC through a letter from his lawyer dated January 5, 2026.

However, the ICPC said it would continue its investigation in line with Sections 3(14) and 27(3) of its enabling Act.

Advertisement
Article Banner

On July 6, the Dangote Group media team said Dangote, through his legal representative, submitted a fresh petition against Ahmed to the EFCC.

Speaking with our correspondent on Saturday, a senior EFCC official familiar with the investigation confirmed that the agency had begun work on the petition, although Ahmed had not yet been invited.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter, said the commission had started by writing to parties and institutions mentioned in the petition to obtain information needed for the investigation.

According to the source, inviting the accused would come after preliminary inquiries, including engagements with local and international entities referenced in the petition.

The source said, “We have prepared the ground and have started working on it. We have not invited the accused.

“We are writing to all the parties mentioned in the petition. Whoever is indicted is always the last to be invited. All the parties mentioned will be written to, to provide information that will be used to confront the person accused. When you have not carried out both local and international engagements, you cannot just invite the accused.

Advertisement
Article Banner

“What we are doing is the normal investigative procedure of writing to all the relevant entities and parties—companies, government bodies and international institutions—involved to obtain their responses. Inviting the accused will come last. We will definitely write to the institutions mentioned in the petition.”

Another official added, “We will have to confirm some claims in the petition; and this may lead to writing the Switzerland school mentioned in it.”

The EFCC has, in previous cases, written to educational institutions as part of its investigations into alleged misuse of public funds for school fees.

During the case involving the former Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, the Chairman of the EFCC, Ola Olukoyede, disclosed in 2024 that Bello allegedly transferred $720,000 from government funds to a bureau de change shortly before leaving office to pay his child’s school fees in advance.

In the course of that investigation, the American International School of Abuja, in a letter addressed to the Lagos Zonal Commander of the EFCC, confirmed that a total of $845,852 had been paid in tuition fees to the school from September 7, 2021.

The school added that $760,910 was refundable after deducting the cost of educational services already rendered.

Advertisement
Article Banner

(This report was originally published by PUNCH)

Defense and Security2 hours ago

Tinubu Assigns Famadewa to Lead Service Chiefs, Ribadu for 5-Year National Security Threat Assessment, Defence Strategy Development

FEATURES2 hours ago

2027: Extend Your Love For Me To President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

FEATURES2 hours ago

Oborevwori Sets to Inaugurate Perm Secretaries Quarters Today

FEATURES3 hours ago

Omo-Agege Warns Delta Gov: You’ll be Held Responsible If My Family or I Come Under Attack as Campaigns Begin

Defense and Security13 hours ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES14 hours ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED16 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES17 hours ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Defense and Security18 hours ago

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke ‘Escapes Death’ as Gunmen Attack Convoy in Osogbo

Defense and Security20 hours ago

UNICEF Demands Urgent Release of 78 Abducted Borno Schoolchildren

secure number one position
FEATURES20 hours ago

FCT Police Arrest 40 Over Traffic Robbery, Kidnapping, Armed Robbery

FEATURES1 day ago

‘No Ban On Nigerians’ — South Africa Dismisses Visa Stoppage Rumours

BUSINESS2 days ago

BOI Applauds Tinubu’s Reforms for Success of N250 Billion Bond

FEATURES2 days ago

Tinubu Warns Politicians: No Ethnic or Religious Politics Ahead of 2027

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

Tantita Has Boosted Nigeria’s Oil Revenue, Employed Over 10.000 N’Delta Youths – Consultant

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner