Connect with us

FEATURED

U.S Election Crimes Chief Resigns After Attorney General, Barr Orders Probe Of Alleged Voter Fraud Claims

Published

on

crimes

The head of the branch of the Justice Department that prosecutes election crimes resigned Monday hours after Attorney General William Barr issued a memo to federal prosecutors authorizing them to investigate “specific allegations” of voter fraud before the results of the presidential race are certified.

Richard Pilger, who was director of the Election Crimes Branch of the DOJ, sent a memo to colleagues that suggested his resignation was linked to Barr’s memo, which was issued as the president’s legal team mount legal challenges to the election results, alleging widespread voter fraud cost him the race.

“Having familiarized myself with the new policy and its ramifications, and in accord with the best tradition of the John C. Keeney Award for Exceptional Integrity and Professionalism (my most cherished Departmental recognition), I must regretfully resign from my role as Director of the Election Crimes Branch,” Pilger’s letter said, according to a copy obtained by NBC News.

“I have enjoyed very much working with you for over a decade to aggressively and diligently enforce federal criminal election law, policy, and practice without partisan fear or favor. I thank you for your support in that effort.”

ALSO READ: Omo-Agege Favourite Of Presidency, APC NWC For Deputy Senate President – Source

Barr on Monday issued a memo authorizing prosecutors “to pursue substantial allegations of voting and vote tabulation irregularities prior to the certification of elections.”

Advertisement

That’s a change of Justice Department policy, which had previously advised prosecutors that “overt investigative steps ordinarily should not be taken until the election in question has been concluded, its results certified, and all recounts and election contests concluded.”

Barr, who’s come under fire by right-wing media for not bolstering the president’s evidence-free claims of widespread voter fraud in the 2020 election, declared that guidance outdated.

“Such a passive and delayed enforcement approach can result in situations in which election misconduct cannot realistically be rectified,” Barr said in the memo.

NBC News and several other major media outlets projected Joe Biden the winner of the 2020 presidential election on Saturday after several states spent days counting ballots following a record turnout, including mail-in and absentee voting. Trump has refused to concede to President-elect Biden and one of his appointees in the General Services Administration has yet to sign paperwork to begin the presidential transition.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED2 hours ago

Isoko North Boss Hails Oborevwori’s Gender-friendly and Inclusive Approach to Governance

FEATURED3 hours ago

Delta Police Enforces Traffic Laws, to Charge Offenders to Mobile Court

FEATURED3 hours ago

Integrity Over Politics: Why Delta North Needs Ned Nwoko, a Leader with a Clean Record

FEATURED1 day ago

BREAKING: DSS Slams el-Rufai With 3-count Charges at FHC for ‘intercepting’ NSA Ribadu’s Phone Conversation

FEATURED1 day ago

Tinubu Deploys Shettima-led FG Delegation to Kano Over Biggest Market Fire Disaster

Akpeki
FEATURED1 day ago

Crisis Rocks Delta North APC as Ward Chairmen Demand Suspension of Congress Over Alleged Imposition

Akpeki
FEATURED1 day ago

Delta APC Leaders Petition Warri South West LGA Over Alleged Imposition, Constitutional Violations by Ward Chairman

El-Rufai
FEATURED2 days ago

N’Delta Coalition Calls for Immediate Arrest, Probe of El-Rufai Over NSA Phone Tapping Claim

FEATURED2 days ago

Tinubu, Oborevwori Rally Support for Nigeria’s Police at Asaba Police Games Opening

METRO2 days ago

Troops Sustains Offensive Pressure, Kills Score of Terrorists, Recover Arms, Logistics Items

COMMUNITY REPORT3 days ago

Delta Community Pays “Thank You Visit” to Council Boss

FEATURED3 days ago

I’ll Be President But I stand for PBAT and Gov Oborevwori’s Re-election 2027 – Ex-Minister Orubebe

NEWS3 days ago

Oborevwori Eulogies Ovie of Uvwie Kingdom on 18th Coronation Anniversary

NEWS3 days ago

Oborevwori Hails Ex-Vanguard Editor, Mideno Bayagbon at 65

FEATURED3 days ago

Oborevwori Emerges Overall New Telegraph Governor Of The Year 2025

Advertisement
Advertisement

z