Connect with us

NEWS

Okowa Declines Comment If EFCC Will Be Call To Investigate Controversial Asaba Airport Contract

Published

on

 

Governor Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta State has wave off possibility of calling in the anti-graft agency, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to investigate the controversial Asaba International Airport which have gulped billions of naira yet remain unfinished.

The airport project have been a subject of discourse in the state for past one month when the Delta State House of Assembly opened an oversight investigation into the work done so far by the contractor hired to handle the project.

Fielding questions from journalists at an interactive session held at Government House Asaba, the state capital on Monday, specifically if the EFCC would be called to probe the contract, the governor said that the state government was still trying to manage the contract so that it don’t result to litigations.

“On the Asaba International Airport, it is a contract that we are trying to manage because we are embarking on that project not to go to court, we have really suffered alot on that project so we needed to manage the process so that it doesn’t result to litigations.

According to him, the contractor may have possibly withdrawn from the project at the wake of the state government call for advanced payment guarantee around the month of September or October.

Advertisement

“Because the implications of that guarantee that we have called so that all money expended in the project have to be reconciled so I think the contractor withdrew after we made that call.

He said that besides the runaway contract which was reawarded at the eve of the past administration, the contractor had about six other different contracts in the Airport project which are also in moribund state.

“This particular contract of reconstruction of the runaways and accellary facility was little less than N5.1billion and the mobilization was about N2.5billion because that was the contract the previous government entered into with the contractor.

According to him, the contractor was mobilised in October 2015 for the reconstruction of the runway and leveling of the airport hills and was supposed to finish up by March 2016 but had unfortunately failed to meet the contractual deadline of delivering the project within the period of four months before it withdrew from continuing with the execution of the project.”

“It is important that we realise that the state is bigger than any individual, we mounted a lot of pressure on the contractor handling the project, but, with all that, the work was still very slow; we did a 50 per cent mobilization and the prohect is supposed to be completed within a period of four months,” he said.

“We made the mobilization in October, 2015 but, the job is less than 25 per cent done and the contractor has pulled out.”

Advertisement

Continuing, he said, “we, as a government, have accepted the withdrawal of the contractor from executing the job, in few months’ time, the job will be re-awarded to a credible contractor with a track record of project delivery.”

Meanwhile, reactions have continued to trail the ongoing investigation of the contract by the Delta State House of Assembly committee on Works headed by Chief Evance Ochuko
Ivwurie.

While reacting to development, an aide to Senator Ovie Omo-Agege, Prince Efe Henry Duku had posted in his facebook page querying if the state government would allow the contractor walk away with the huge money collected over the failed project work.

“Senator (Dr.) Okowa just announced that a NEW multi-billion Naira contract will be awarded to a “competent contractor” for the Asaba Airport Project.The need to urgently complete that airport project cannot be overemphasized.

“Meanwhile, nothing is happening to the sacked “incompetent” contractor. An arrogant contractor who, having allegedly received over N50 Billion on the project, is reportedly threatening the lives of members of the House of Assembly for daring to ask necessary questions on the huge financial malfeasance that the project has become. So, we are admittedly allowing one incompetent” contractor” to walk away with our billions of Naira just like that! Jesus Christ is Lord!!!

[Widget_Twitter id=”1″]

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED12 minutes ago

Published INEC Warri Ward Delineation Still a Proposal, Subject to Review – Omagbemi

Preliminary Voter Register
FEATURED24 minutes ago

Warri Wards: INEC Publishes Final Delineation Report, Urges Stakeholders to Review

FEATURED58 minutes ago

Isoko APC Declares For Oborevwori As Primaries Loom- Okpobor ‎ ‎

NEWS1 hour ago

Isoko North Chair Congratulates Ashakah for Clinching APC Assembly Ticket

NEWS3 hours ago

“I Won the Delta North Senate Primary” – Ned Nwoko Rejects Okowa’s Claim of Victory

FEATURED7 hours ago

Sen. Joel-Onowakpo Extends Olive Branch to Ejele, Malik, Ogor to Join Forces for APC’s 2027 Victory

FEATURED9 hours ago

NDLEA Busts Nigerian-Mexican Meth Cartel, Seizes Record N480bn Drug Haul ‎ ‎

FEATURED13 hours ago

Delta Police Eliminate Kidnap Kingpin, Recover AK-47 Rifle, Live Ammunition

FEATURED15 hours ago

Intrigues as APC NWC May Override Govs, Party Leaders in Senatorial Primaries Outcomes

NEWS1 day ago

APC Senate Primary Outcome: Ned Nwoko Camp Demands Okowa’s Disqualification 

Drone Strike
Defense and Security1 day ago

How U.S.-Nigeria Joint Strikes Crushed ISIS Cell, Eliminated 175 Terrorists

FEATURED1 day ago

Isoko South Chairman Congratulates Sen. Joel-Onowakpo on Winning Delta South APC Primary

FEATURED1 day ago

2027: Joel-Onowakpo Thanks Tinubu, Oborevwori, Constituents After Defeating Diden by Wide Margin to Clinch Delta South APC Ticket

FEATURED2 days ago

APC Primaries: Okowa Dusts Ned Nwoko at Home as Joel-Onowakpo Clinches Delta South Ticket

POLITICS2 days ago

Delta North APC’s Primary: National C’ttee to Announce the Winner, Says Ned Nwoko

Advertisement
Advertisement

z