Connect with us

FEATURED

Swiss Court Orders “IS” Knifewoman To Receive Psychiatric Care Before Serving A Nine-year Sentence

Published

on

A Swiss court ruled that a woman who is accused of slitting the throats of women while pretending to be a member of the Islamic State group must receive psychiatric care before beginning her nine-year prison sentence on Monday.

The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was found guilty in court of attempted murder and charges related to terrorism.

Fiorenza Bergomi, the court president, declared as she read the judgment that the defendant “had no respect for human life.”

According to Bergomi, she “acted in cold blood, had planned her actions, and had decided what weapon to use and where to buy it.”

The mental state of the 29-year-old woman was at the heart of the trial at Switzerland’s Federal Criminal Court in Bellinzona, in the southern Italian-speaking Ticino region where the attack occurred.

The attack, which did not result in fatalities, took place on November 24, 2020 in the plush Manor department store in Lugano, near Bellinzona.

Advertisement

The woman had suddenly lunged at two random women shopping at the store, attempting to slit their throats.

According to the Office of the Attorney General’s indictment, the accused “acted wilfully and with particular ruthlessness,”  shouted “Allahu akbar” (God is greatest) several times, and “I will avenge the Prophet Mohammed,”  and declared, “I am here for IS,”  the Islamic State jihadist group.

No remorse

One of the two victims suffered a serious neck injury, while the second sustained wounds on one hand and managed, with the help of others, to control the assailant until the police arrived.

During the trial, the court heard that the woman has been in contact with psychologists and psychiatrists since childhood, with two experts testifying that she suffers from a range of psychological disorders.

Her lawyers argue the accused’s psychological disorders mean the attack could not be considered a “terrorist act” because the woman lived in a fantasy world.

When questioned during the trial, the woman showed no remorse, telling the court: “If I could go back, I would do it better.”

Advertisement

On Monday, she was found guilty of “repeated murder attempts” and of violating the Swiss laws against association with Al-Qaeda, IS and related Islamist groups.

She was also found guilty of repeated unlawful prostitution between 2017 and 2020.

The accused was ordered to pay the woman who suffered the most serious injuries, and who was a civil party in the case, 41,000 Swiss francs ($42,000) to cover her legal costs and as compensation for the “moral wrong”.

‘Lone wolves’

The court president pointed to studies indicating that terror suspects could suffer from stress and psychiatric problems.

“We must not forget that there are… people with psychiatric problems who do not belong to terrorist organisations, but who are considered lone wolves,” she said.

Monday’s verdict was in line with the prosecution’s request, but her sentence was shorter than the 14-year-term it had asked for.

Advertisement

The prosecutors, who had also suggested her sentence be suspended and that she be committed to a closed treatment facility for as long as she was deemed a threat, said Monday that they “took note” of the verdict, but did not indicate whether they would appeal.

The daughter of a Swiss father and a Serbian mother, her adolescence was marked by anorexia and she did not attend secondary school.

Aged 19, she married a man of Afghan origin who converted to Islam. The pair divorced last year.

After falling in love over social media in 2017 with a jihadist in Syria, she attempted to travel to meet him, but was stopped by Turkish authorities at the Syrian border and sent back to Switzerland, where she was admitted to a psychiatric clinic, police said.

(Channels TV)

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED10 hours ago

Pakistan Offers to Help Nigeria Fight Terrorism as Defence Adviser Meets COAS

FEATURES10 hours ago

Oborevwori Boosts Infrastructure at UNIDEL, Inaugurates Faculties of Engineering, Environmental Sciences

FEATURED1 day ago

How Orubebe and Jonathan Came Close to Losing Their Lives for Amnesty

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

DSCTDA Sustains Cleanup Exercise at Koka Bridge

FEATURED2 days ago

el-Rufai Moved from EFCC to ICPC Detention Facility Over Ongoing Investigations

FEATURED2 days ago

COAS Advocates for Sustainable Veterans’ Welfare Systems Backed by Law

Profiled
FEATURED2 days ago

Alleged $6bn Mambilla Fraud: Agunloye Knew Sunrise Power Owner, Leno Adesanya Before Ministerial Appointment – EFCC Witness

FEATURED2 days ago

Two Arraigned for Alleged N143million Fraud in Benin-City

FEATURED2 days ago

Court Grants EFCC Interim Attachment Order on Nine Mineral-Laden Trucks Impounded in Ilorin

POLITICS2 days ago

Isoko North Chairman Commends Peaceful Conduct of APC Council Ward Congresses

FEATURED3 days ago

Tinubu Signs Order to Eliminate NNPCL’S Deductions, Direct Remittance of Oil Revenues to Federation Account

FEATURED3 days ago

Electoral Act: It’s Not About Politics, It’s About Process – Tinubu

FEATURED3 days ago

NDPC Probes Temu for Alleged Violation of Data Protection Act

BUSINESS3 days ago

How FairMoney is Powering the Next Generation of Nigerian SMEs, By James Edeh

FEATURED3 days ago

Cross-Sector Budget Defense: Sen. Nwoko’s Ensures Active Engagement to Enhance Transparent Resource Allocation

Advertisement
Advertisement

z