Connect with us

FEATURED

CPJ Kicks As Security Forces Quizzed Journalist Over Sources

Published

on

criminal elements

Nigerian authorities should cease their intimidation of journalist Saint Mienpamo Onitsha and ensure that security forces permit the press to work freely, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.

At about 1 a.m. on May 9, four masked Department of State Services agents forced their way into the home of Onitsha, the founder of Naija Live TV, an independent news website, in Yenagoa, the capital of Nigeria’s southern Bayelsa state, blindfolded him, and drove him around for more than three hours before bringing him to the department’s local headquarters, according to the journalist, who spoke with CPJ via phone and messaging app, and areport by the privately owned Sahara Reporters newspaper.

At the headquarters, agents interrogated Onitsha about his sources for two reports he had published, and threatened him with criminal prosecution on false news charges, according to the journalist and a report by the privately owned Daily Independent newspaper.

The agents held him until May 12, when Onitsha appeared at a press conference organized by the security agency, in which he apologized for his outlet’s reporting and denied allegations that agents had abducted him, and he was then released without charge, he told CPJ. Onitsha said he was coerced into making those statements in exchange for being released without charge.

The Department of State Services operates under Nigeria’s coordinator of national security, which reports directly to President Muhammadu Buhari, according to the National Security Agencies Act.

The officers also took five phones belonging to Onitsha and his wife when he was arrested and only returned the phones after he was released, he said, adding that he could not tell if anything was deleted from the phones or if they were tampered with.

Advertisement
Article Banner

“There is absolutely no justification for seizing journalist Saint Mienpamo Onitsha from his home in the dead of night and subjecting him to days of interrogation for his reporting,” said Angela Quintal, CPJ’s Africa program coordinator, in New York. “The Department of State Services is far too often involved in the arbitrary detention and intimidation of journalists in Nigeria. It’s a pattern that President Buhari should act swiftly to reverse.”

According to Nigeria’s constitution, any person detained by authorities must be arraigned in court within 24 hours if a court is within 40 kilometers of where they are detained. Onitsha told CPJ that the Department of State Services where he was detained was across the street from Bayelsa’s Federal High Court Complex.

Onitsha said the officers who took him into custody questioned him on May 10 about his sourcing for a December 2019 report alleging that a court in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital, had ordered the arrest of Bayelsa Deputy Governor Lawrence Erwhudjakpo, and a May 2020 report on the alleged collapse of a COVID-19 isolation center in Nigeria’s Kogi State.

He said he was afraid that the agents may torture him, but said they did not.

Onitsha said he was questioned again on May 12 by a man he believed to be the Department of State Service’s Bayelsa state director.

Before his release, Bello Bina, a former local politician for whom Onitsha had previously worked, signed a document vowing that Onitsha would appear at the Department of State Services office whenever summoned, the journalist said.

Advertisement
Article Banner

Peter Afunaya, a spokesperson for the Department of State Services, did not respond to CPJ’s calls and text messages seeking comment.

Contacted by CPJ over the phone, a spokesperson for the Kogi State governor, Mohammed Onogwu, declined to comment on Naija Live TV’s article or on Onitsha’s detention, and told CPJ to contact the security forces.

Doubra Atasi, a media aide to Erwhudjakpo, told CPJ that the Bayelsa deputy governor had not filed a complaint against Onitsha and that he could not comment on the matter.More On:

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
Defense and Security9 hours ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES11 hours ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED13 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES13 hours ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Defense and Security15 hours ago

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke ‘Escapes Death’ as Gunmen Attack Convoy in Osogbo

Defense and Security16 hours ago

UNICEF Demands Urgent Release of 78 Abducted Borno Schoolchildren

secure number one position
FEATURES17 hours ago

FCT Police Arrest 40 Over Traffic Robbery, Kidnapping, Armed Robbery

FEATURES22 hours ago

‘No Ban On Nigerians’ — South Africa Dismisses Visa Stoppage Rumours

BUSINESS1 day ago

BOI Applauds Tinubu’s Reforms for Success of N250 Billion Bond

FEATURES1 day ago

Tinubu Warns Politicians: No Ethnic or Religious Politics Ahead of 2027

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

Tantita Has Boosted Nigeria’s Oil Revenue, Employed Over 10.000 N’Delta Youths – Consultant

FEATURES2 days ago

Jonathan Warns Serving Govs, Others to Stop Converging on States with ‘Army of Aides’ During Off-circle Elections

Wike
FEATURES2 days ago

‘If Tinubu Didn’t Allow Free Poll, Adeleke Wouldn’t Have Won’ — Wike

political structure
FEATURES2 days ago

Abuja Water Channels: Wike Vows ‘No One Will Be Spared’ in Demolition Operation

FEATURED2 days ago

APC Primaries: Ejele Sets to Withdraw Suit Against Senator Joel-Onowakpo

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner