Connect with us

METRO

EFCC Quizzes Ex-UBEC Boss Dikko, Others In N20b Fraud Linked To Minority Leader, Leo Ogor

Published

on

 

Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) detectives have quizzed a former Executive Secretary of the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC), Mallam Suleiman Dikko, for alleged N20billion fraud.

Also grilled were contractors and top directors of UBEC, including those in charge of Finance and Procurement.

Dikko’s and some contractors’ passports have been impounded “to ensure unhindered investigation”.

The probe, said a source, who pleaded not to be named, is to unravel how funds meant for primary education and Unity Schools were either diverted or converted to private use.

“The fraud involves over N20 billion, allegedly siphoned through the purchase of science and technical  equipment and MDGs’ books for some 104 Unity Schools between September  2012 and 2014.”

Advertisement

The Principals of the “beneficiary schools” denied receiving the books and equipment listed against their schools, it was learnt.

“They claimed that they only received between 20 to 30 per cent of the equipment and books purportedly delivered to their schools, whereas the contractors were paid in full,” the source said.

Some former executive secretaries and directors of the commission have been quizzed.

There are indications that the N20billion contract scam is part of the cases for which the anti-graft commission is investigating Dikko.

Another source said: “The ongoing probe of UBEC has many dimensions. We have also discovered many contracts duly paid for but abandoned between 2012 and 2014.  Some fake contracts were awarded in order to acquire slush funds for purposes known only to the former UBEC Secretary and the accomplice directors.

“There were also reckless awards of contracts under the guise of constituency projects between 2012 and 2014.

Advertisement

“For instance,  many  unexecuted constituency projects  were awarded by UBEC  to some companies owned by some members of the National Assembly.

“Some of these projects have been traced to a principal officer of the House of Representatives.”

The Nation had reported that some of the contracts in which the agency is being investigated are traceable to companies linked to House of Representatives Minority Leader, Hon Leo Ogor.

The projects in UBEC are: One block of three classrooms at Eru Primary School, Igbide (N9,180,835.45); one block of three classrooms at Ivori Primary School, Isoko (N9,887,778); construction of three classrooms at Egburie Primary School, Ozoro; and construction of six classrooms on January 21, 2016  at Olordo Primary School, Ozoro (N9, 300,000).

The others are: supply of customised library equipment to selected schools in Isoko North Local Government Area at N16,050,000; Supply of instructional materials in Isoko North /South Federal Constituency(N14, 650,000);  supply of customised equipment to selected schools in Isoko Federal Constituency(N15, 950,000);   rehabilitation of six  classrooms at Egware Primary School, Ozoro (N9,200,928,90); and construction of six classrooms and toilets as well as supply of  furniture at Itebighe Primary School (N12, 988.099.23).

BigPen Online recalls that EFCC had earlier opened investigation on member representing Isoko Federal Constituency, Hon Leo Ogor over a petition that most of the constituency projects facilitated by Ogor were awarded to the six companies linked to him of which over N116million being an outstanding sum in the accounts of five of the six companies secured contracts from some agencies including Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) and The National Commission for Refugees, Migrants and Internally Displaced Persons as constituency projects.

Advertisement

[Widget_Twitter id=”1″]

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
COMMUNITY REPORT6 hours ago

Kidnapped Students, Teachers in Orire Still Held,Rescue Rumors False -Oyo Police

FEATURED7 hours ago

Agediga Hails Oborevwori’s Emergence as APC 2027 Candidate, Cites Education Gains in Delta

FEATURED19 hours ago

Gov Oborevwori Emerged Unopposed as 2027 Delta APC Guber Candidate with 345,375 Affirmation Votes

FEATURED20 hours ago

Delta: Keke Man Sent for ‘School Runs’, Kidnapped Child in His Care, Demanded N.5m Ransom, and Got Arrested

FEATURED21 hours ago

Presidency Debunks Viral Claim on Nigeria Name Change, Sharia Law Abolition

OPINION22 hours ago

RE: NORBERT SOCHUKWUDINMA’S FALSE CLAIMS ON ARISE TV REGARDING DELTA NORTH APC PRIMARIES

FEATURED1 day ago

Ijaws, Urhobos Applaud INEC on Release of S’Court-ordered Warri delineation Report

FEATURED1 day ago

Warri Delineation: Itsekiri Youth Group, UIY Rejects INEC’s New Proposal, Alleges ‘State-Sponsored Electoral Fraud’

FEATURED1 day ago

IBB Urges Northern Leaders to Unite, Warns Region Risks Collapse ‎

FEATURED1 day ago

Morris Monye Issues Public Apology to Obidient Movement Over Controversial Resignation Letter ‎

NEWS1 day ago

Oborevwori Congratulates Waive at 60

Preliminary Voter Register
FEATURED1 day ago

Itsekiri Leaders Reject INEC’s New Constituency Delineation, Claim They Are Based on Fake Data

FEATURED1 day ago

How ‘Abuja Pressure’ Forced Fubara, Cole Out of Rivers Governorship Race

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

Delta 2027: Isoko South Boss Congratulates Onwo, Ashakah, Idhoveh for Winning APC Assembly Tickets

FEATURED2 days ago

‘No Contest’ as Delta Speaker Guwor, Augoye, Uduaghan Secure APC Tickets in Sweep of Affirmations

Advertisement
Advertisement

z