Connect with us

FEATURED

BREAKING: 13% Oil Derivation: Niger Gov Blows Hot,  Threatens To Shut Down Kainji Dam, Other FG Power Assets If…

Published

on

Kainji Dam
Governor Umaru Bago of Niger State

Governor Umaru Bago of Niger State, has threatened to shut down the Kainji Dam and other power infrastructure supplied to the Delta region if the federal government does not extend the payment of 13 per cent derivation fund enjoyed by oil-producing states to Niger.

“We will take the federal government to the Supreme Court unless the 13 per cent derivation from our land, water, air, grass, and everything given to us is paid. We need 13 per cent derivation for water supplied to the Delta. Our people are ravaged and displaced year in, year out because of the flow of water from the Niger to the Delta,” stated the Niger governor Monday while receiving the federal commissioner of the National Commission for Refugees, Migrants, and Internally Displaced Persons, Tijani Aliyu, in Minna.

Apart from Kainji, the hydroelectric power assets in Zungeru and Shiroro, both in Niger State, have also served the entire country for decades. The dams also help control floods that could ravage the Niger Delta region, especially during the annual rainy season.

Mr Bago also said the federal government “will pay Niger state N1 trillion in the next three months for hydrocarbon exchange, they must. We have provided this country with hydropower for a long time; nobody is compensating us for it.”

The governor, who said the state had been neglected and marginalised for too long, also demanded compensation from the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company and Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.

“Abuja Electricity Distribution Company must pay us, they have consumed from Niger state hydrocarbon exchange, and Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation must pay us,” the northern governor. “We have woken up, we can never ever tolerate being neglected or abandoned again. The only way we can ensure that the federal government needs us is to shut down the hydro dams unless we are paid.”

However, Mr Bago stressed that his administration would collect “every dime” Niger deserves.

Advertisement
Article Banner

“We are serious about this. It is not a threat; it is a statement. Every dime that is due to us, we will take it. We will take every kobo that is for Niger state,” the governor explained. “We are not going to be marginalised again; our waters, our lands, our borders are strengths for us and not weaknesses.”

Mr Bago added, “We demand compensation for our people. Everything, every resource that comes from Niger state, must be compensated. We will not tolerate this anymore. We must be compensated. Our people have done enough for Nigeria.”

(People’s Gazette)

COMMUNITY REPORT2 hours ago

Ogorugba Lauds Oborevwori on Newly Inaugurated Ozoro Ultra-Modern Market

Omo-Agege
FEATURED4 hours ago

Omo-Agege: How an Assassination Squad Attacked NDC Campaign, Threatened to Kill Me and My Coordinator in Delta

FEATURES6 hours ago

Demonstration Of Ignorance — Tinubu Rejects Subsidy Restoration Demands

FEATURED6 hours ago

‘Take Me Back to Senate’ — Omo-Agege Flags Off 2027 Campaign, Slams Oborevwori ‎

FEATURES8 hours ago

Sowore Blasts Adeleke Over Tinubu Visit Amid Osun Violence

FEATURED9 hours ago

Tinubu Receives Re-Elected Adeleke at Aso Rock, First Meeting Since Osun Victory

FEATURED15 hours ago

Oil Resumption: MOSOP Assures Ogoni People of a Good Deal, Announces Minor Cabinet Changes

Defense and Security17 hours ago

Tinubu Assigns Famadewa to Lead Service Chiefs, Ribadu for 5-Year National Security Threat Assessment, Defence Strategy Development

FEATURES18 hours ago

2027: Extend Your Love For Me To President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

FEATURES18 hours ago

Oborevwori Sets to Inaugurate Perm Secretaries Quarters Today

FEATURES18 hours ago

Omo-Agege Warns Delta Gov: You’ll be Held Responsible If My Family or I Come Under Attack as Campaigns Begin

Defense and Security1 day ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES1 day ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED1 day ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES1 day ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner