Connect with us

FEATURED

Bandits Kill At Least 34 As Chief Of Army Staff Holds Confab In Katsina

Published

on

No fewer than 34 persons have been reported killed in Katsina state, a day after the Chief of Army Staff stormed the state for his annual security conference.

Suspected gunmen were said to have rain bullets on the villagers between last week and Monday killing at least 34 persons.

In the latest violence by cattle thieves, roughly 200 gunmen on motorcycles besieged the farmers in Yargamji village, 25 kilometres (15 miles) from the state capital Katsina, opening fire on them, police spokesman Gambo Isah told AFP.

“Fifteen bodies were recovered from the farms after the attack which was carried out by bandits,” Isah said.

“They came on motorcycles numbering around 200.”

Local residents confirmed the attack, adding that the assailants arrived around 1000 GMT and stopped at the crop fields outside the village where they opened fire on the farmers.

Advertisement

BIGPEN learnt that the latest attack was carried out at a time the Chief of Army Staff was in Katsina holding a conference. Sources said that seven persons were abducted in the local government area – one killed and six still in custody of the bandit before the latest attack which left about 32 dead.

“Yes, it is true and my heart is bleeding. Just 3 days ago, 7 people were abducted in Yar- Gamji Batsari LGA, one was killed and 6 taken away and today again in same village, they killed 17 people in their farms as if that’s not enough they went to Bilbil in same Batsari LGA and killed 15 people”.

“These are very unfortunate incidents. We are not happy at all. We learnt that the Chief of Army staff was here and is still here in Katsina State for his Annual Chief of Army Staff Conference and all these is happening to us”, a source who simply gave his name as Omar lamented.

Speaking during the conference to mark the commencement of the 2020 Nigerian Army Day celebration with the theme, ‘Nigeria’s Territorial Defence and Sovereignty’, Buratai, said security issues must be addressed seriously, adding that troops were ready to engage bandits even if it meant going inside the forest to flush them out.

Buratai said, “Whatever measures to end banditry must be comprehensive. It could involve political solution; it could involve military solution. The aim is to have a peaceful community.

“As far as the Nigerian Army is concerned, dialogue with bandits is not on our table. Even if we have to move into the bush and deal with the bandits, we are ready to deal with them wherever they are.”

Advertisement

The Chief of Army Staff said Operation Sahel Sanity that was to be launched during the week-long celebration was meant to improve the professional capacity of soldiers.

Buratai said he had never joked with the training of soldiers, adding, “There has not been any dull moment in terms of training to ensure the professional efficiency of soldiers and make them ever prepared to deal with security challenges.”

Hundreds of people have been killed in the last year by criminal gangs carrying out robberies and kidnappings in northwest Nigeria.

Such attacks have added to security challenges in the country, which is already struggling to contain Boko Haram attacks in the northeast and communal violence over grazing rights in central states.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED4 hours ago

Oborevwori Rewards UNIDEL Best Graduating Student with ₦5m, 30 First-class with N500k Each

FEATURED5 hours ago

48-year-old Suspected Gun Runner Arrested with 969 Rounds of Ammunition in Taraba

FEATURED1 day ago

Ribadu’s Phone Bugging: DSS to Arraign El-Rufai Feb 25

FEATURED2 days ago

Pakistan Offers to Help Nigeria Fight Terrorism as Defence Adviser Meets COAS

FEATURES2 days ago

Oborevwori Boosts Infrastructure at UNIDEL, Inaugurates Faculties of Engineering, Environmental Sciences

FEATURED2 days ago

How Orubebe and Jonathan Came Close to Losing Their Lives for Amnesty

COMMUNITY REPORT3 days ago

DSCTDA Sustains Cleanup Exercise at Koka Bridge

FEATURED3 days ago

el-Rufai Moved from EFCC to ICPC Detention Facility Over Ongoing Investigations

FEATURED3 days ago

COAS Advocates for Sustainable Veterans’ Welfare Systems Backed by Law

Profiled
FEATURED3 days ago

Alleged $6bn Mambilla Fraud: Agunloye Knew Sunrise Power Owner, Leno Adesanya Before Ministerial Appointment – EFCC Witness

FEATURED3 days ago

Two Arraigned for Alleged N143million Fraud in Benin-City

FEATURED3 days ago

Court Grants EFCC Interim Attachment Order on Nine Mineral-Laden Trucks Impounded in Ilorin

POLITICS4 days ago

Isoko North Chairman Commends Peaceful Conduct of APC Council Ward Congresses

FEATURED4 days ago

Tinubu Signs Order to Eliminate NNPCL’S Deductions, Direct Remittance of Oil Revenues to Federation Account

FEATURED4 days ago

Electoral Act: It’s Not About Politics, It’s About Process – Tinubu

Advertisement
Advertisement

z