Connect with us

FEATURED

CJN, Onnoghen In Trouble As FG Files Corruption Charges Against Him

Published

on

The Federal Government has filed corruption charges against Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen.

The charges stemmed from a petition against the number one law officer of the nation.

Reports say the charges were filed by the Code of Conduct Bureau and the Code of Conduct Tribunal over failed assets declaration by Onnoghen.

Walter Onnoghen became the Chief Justice in March 2017, less than six months after the homes of several federal judges, including those of the Supreme Court, were searched in an anti-corruption raid.

On January 10, the Nigerian government filed charges against the head of the country’s judicial arm, accusing him of asset declaration offences.

The government said it was only in 2016 after the controversial crackdown on judges that Mr Onnoghen partially declared his asset, but still failed to declare a series of bank accounts, denominated in local and foreign currencies, linked to him at a Standard Chartered Bank branch in Abuja.

Advertisement

The government consequently filed six charges of non and fraudulent declaration of assets by Mr Onnoghen, with trial expected to commence on January 14 at the Code of Conduct Tribunal.

The CCT said in a separate statement, according to PREMIUM TIMES, Saturday that trial would commence on Monday at the premises of the Federal Capital Territory High Court in Jabi, commercial neighbourhood in Abuja.

A spokesperson for the Supreme Court did not immediately return requests for comments Saturday afternoon.

The trial could further strain relations between the judicial and the executive arms of the federal government, which had been largely tense since the raid on federal judges’s homes in October 2016.

Two judges of the Supreme Court were amongst those whose houses were raided. They were charged for corruption, but none of them has been found guilty of wrongdoing.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED1 hour ago

Ijaws, Urhobos Applaud INEC on Release of S’Court-ordered Warri delineation Report

FEATURED6 hours ago

Warri Delineation: Itsekiri Youth Group, UIY Rejects INEC’s New Proposal, Alleges ‘State-Sponsored Electoral Fraud’

FEATURED8 hours ago

IBB Urges Northern Leaders to Unite, Warns Region Risks Collapse ‎

FEATURED9 hours ago

Morris Monye Issues Public Apology to Obidient Movement Over Controversial Resignation Letter ‎

NEWS9 hours ago

Oborevwori Congratulates Waive at 60

Preliminary Voter Register
FEATURED10 hours ago

Itsekiri Leaders Reject INEC’s New Constituency Delineation, Claim They Are Based on Fake Data

FEATURED11 hours ago

How ‘Abuja Pressure’ Forced Fubara, Cole Out of Rivers Governorship Race

COMMUNITY REPORT17 hours ago

Delta 2027: Isoko South Boss Congratulates Onwo, Ashakah, Idhoveh for Winning APC Assembly Tickets

FEATURED17 hours ago

‘No Contest’ as Delta Speaker Guwor, Augoye, Uduaghan Secure APC Tickets in Sweep of Affirmations

FEATURED18 hours ago

Published INEC Warri Ward Delineation Still a Proposal, Subject to Review – Omagbemi

Preliminary Voter Register
FEATURED18 hours ago

Warri Wards: INEC Publishes Final Delineation Report, Urges Stakeholders to Review

FEATURED19 hours ago

Isoko APC Declares For Oborevwori As Primaries Loom- Okpobor ‎ ‎

NEWS19 hours ago

Isoko North Chair Congratulates Ashakah for Clinching APC Assembly Ticket

NEWS20 hours ago

“I Won the Delta North Senate Primary” – Ned Nwoko Rejects Okowa’s Claim of Victory

FEATURED1 day ago

Sen. Joel-Onowakpo Extends Olive Branch to Ejele, Malik, Ogor to Join Forces for APC’s 2027 Victory

Advertisement
Advertisement

z