Connect with us

FEATURED

INEC Reads Riot Act To Staff, Bars All Found To Be Negligent From Governorship Polls, Warns RECs

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has read the Riot Act to its staff, banning all staff found negligent in the February 25 presidential and National Assembly elections from participating in March 11 governorship and state assemblies elections.

INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, announced this at a meeting with the Resident Electoral commissioners (RECs) in Abuja on Saturday.

“As we approach the governorship and state assembly elections, we must work harder to overcome the challenges experienced in the last election. Nothing else will be acceptable to Nigerians.

“All staff found to be negligent, whether they are regular or ad hoc officials, including collation and returning officers (ROs), must not be involved in forthcoming elections.

“RECs must also immediately initiate disciplinary action where prima facie evidence of wrongdoing has been established,” Yakubu said.

He noted that Saturday’s meeting is the third in less than two months and that like the last two meetings, the purpose was to discuss the conduct of the 2023 General Elections, arising from the presidential and National Assembly elections held a week ago, and with the governorship and state assembly elections holding next week.

Advertisement

The INEC boss said he appreciated the sacrifice and doggedness of Nigerians and the dignity and maturity displayed by political leaders even in the context of divergent views about the election.

Yakubu said a lot of lessons had been learnt and of immediate concern to the commission is how the identified challenges can be addressed as the nation approach the concluding phase of the general election involving the largest number of constituencies being 28 state governorship elections and 993 state houses of assembly seats.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
COMMUNITY REPORT17 hours ago

DSCTDA Sustains Cleanup Exercise at Koka Bridge

FEATURED24 hours ago

el-Rufai Moved from EFCC to ICPC Detention Facility Over Ongoing Investigations

FEATURED1 day ago

COAS Advocates for Sustainable Veterans’ Welfare Systems Backed by Law

Profiled
FEATURED1 day ago

Alleged $6bn Mambilla Fraud: Agunloye Knew Sunrise Power Owner, Leno Adesanya Before Ministerial Appointment – EFCC Witness

FEATURED1 day ago

Two Arraigned for Alleged N143million Fraud in Benin-City

FEATURED1 day ago

Court Grants EFCC Interim Attachment Order on Nine Mineral-Laden Trucks Impounded in Ilorin

POLITICS1 day ago

Isoko North Chairman Commends Peaceful Conduct of APC Council Ward Congresses

FEATURED1 day ago

Tinubu Signs Order to Eliminate NNPCL’S Deductions, Direct Remittance of Oil Revenues to Federation Account

FEATURED1 day ago

Electoral Act: It’s Not About Politics, It’s About Process – Tinubu

FEATURED1 day ago

NDPC Probes Temu for Alleged Violation of Data Protection Act

BUSINESS1 day ago

How FairMoney is Powering the Next Generation of Nigerian SMEs, By James Edeh

FEATURED2 days ago

Cross-Sector Budget Defense: Sen. Nwoko’s Ensures Active Engagement to Enhance Transparent Resource Allocation

FEATURED2 days ago

NSCDC Apprehends 10 Vandals, Kidnappers in Abuja

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

Isoko South Chairman Hands Over 100 Pieces of Chairs Donated to Enwhe Comprehensive High School

FEATURED2 days ago

Isoko North Boss Hails Oborevwori’s Gender-friendly and Inclusive Approach to Governance

Advertisement
Advertisement

z