Connect with us

FEATURED

8 Dead, 23 Rescued After Lagos Three-storey Building Collapse

Published

on

Eight persons have been confirmed dead as a three-storey building collapsed at 24 Ibadan Street Off Murtala Mohammed Way, in the Ebute Metta area of Lagos State.

The incident occurred at 10.30pm on May 1, prompting emergency agencies to swing into action.
No fewer than 23 persons including children were said to have been rescued alive, leaving some of them with varying degrees of injuries.The occupants were said to be in their various apartments and some of them already asleep when the building suddenly collapsed and trapped most of them.

Immediately, emergency agencies were alerted as some residents resorted to self-help by searching the rubble to rescue the trapped victims even before the responders arrived the scene.

Emergency agencies including the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Lagos State Fire, Red Cross Society of Nigeria and other rescue services, including the police rushed to the scene and commenced a search and rescue operation for the victims.

The acting coordinator, Lagos Territorial Office, NEMA, Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, confirmed the death of the eight occupants, adding that the collapsed structure had been marked for demolition.

His words: “Another three-storey building, on Lagos Street, about 200 metres away from the current scene has shown signs of distress with part throwing pebbles and falling off.

“The building had also been marked as distressed but the occupants were deviant.

Advertisement
Article Banner

“However, the building has been re-sealed and occupants evacuated by officers of Lagos State Buildings Control Agency.

“Eight deaths including five males and two females. 23 people have been rescued alive including seven children and 16 adults.”

The Permanent Secretary, LASEMA, Mr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, in a statement late Sunday night, had said some of the injured victims were rushed to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) for urgent treatment.

He said: “On arrival at the incident scene, an old three-storey building comprising rooms and parlour was discovered to have collapsed.

“Further information gathered revealed that the incident occurred around 10.56pm with an undetermined number of people trapped.”

He also confirmed the number of casualties and rescued victims to be eight and 23 respectively.
Meanwhile, the landlord’s son in care of the collapsed building who was formerly living in the house has disclosed that he has since given the occupants of the building notice to evacuate but they refused to adhere to the quit notice.

Advertisement
Article Banner

He revealed that he had to leave the building and rented an apartment in the same vicinity.
He further stated that the tenants and other occupants stopped paying rent to anyone for long.
LASEMA’s Public Relations Officer, PRO, Mr. Nosa Okunbor said out of the 23 rescued alive by the emergency responders, 22 were males.

(Daily Sun)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
NEWS2 hours ago

Ogorugba Congratulates Ashakah, Ozue on Their Emergence as APC Candidates Isoko North Constituencies I and II

COMMUNITY REPORT7 hours ago

We’re Providing Improved Power Supply, Incentives, Infrastructure to Support Farmers, Investors – Oborevwori

Akpeki
FEATURED14 hours ago

APC Releases List of Presidential Campaign Council; Appoints Yari as DG, Uzodimma Secretary (FULL LIST)

FEATURES15 hours ago

Fire Guts Popular SPAR Outlet in Calabar

FEATURES18 hours ago

UPDATED: Tinubu Orders Arrest of Nwabueze, Suspension of 3 Perm Sec. as ICPC Uncovers Another Fake Office in OSGF

FEATURES1 day ago

Why FBI Seeks Secret Court Filing Over Withheld Records Linked to Tinubu

FEATURES1 day ago

Wike to Atiku And Obi: My Mission Is To Beat You Thoroughly And Make You Sick

Defense and Security1 day ago

Tragedy in Ondo as 4 Amotekun Officers Killed in Deadly Ambush

FEATURED1 day ago

Oborevwori Appoints Sakpra GM, Delta Social Investment Programme

ENTERTAINMENT1 day ago

Rockson Igelige, Intellectual Property Lawyer, Dies at 55

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

Isoko South Takes Delivery of 125 KVA Mini Farm Solar Power Supply for New Secretariat

FEATURED2 days ago

‎2027: Lagos APC Declares Readiness, Says ‘Tinubu’s Journey to Victory Has Begun’

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

Ogorugba Lauds Oborevwori on Newly Inaugurated Ozoro Ultra-Modern Market

Omo-Agege
FEATURED2 days ago

Omo-Agege: How an Assassination Squad Attacked NDC Campaign, Threatened to Kill Me and My Coordinator in Delta

FEATURES2 days ago

Demonstration Of Ignorance — Tinubu Rejects Subsidy Restoration Demands

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner