Connect with us

FEATURED

Presidency Tacitly Avoided “Apology” To S’South Leaders But Regretted ‘National Security’ Disrupted Meeting

Published

on

Presidency

The Presidency, on Wednesday, tacitly avoided using the word “apology” as it explained the reason why the President Muhammadu Buhari’s Chief of Staff, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari-led high-profile Federal Government delegation was absent at the scheduled meeting with governors, leaders and stakeholders in the South-South geopolitical zone.

BIGPENNGR.COM reports President Muhammadu Buhari had few weeks ago delegated his Chief of Staff, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari, to lead high profile government officials to various parts of the country to engage with youths and other stakeholders as part of the process to address their grievances resulting from the #EndSARS protest in the country.

However, the delegation failed to show up when it was the turn of the south-south region after earlier meeting with South-East leaders in the meeting which was earlier billed for Friday last week in Port-Harcourt but reportedly moved to Tuesday and abruptly cancelled at the ‘eleventh hours’ when everyone was seated for it in Port-Harcourt.

BIGPENNGR.COM recalls the Governors of the South-South led by its Chairman and Governor of Delta, Senator Ifeanyi Okowa, who were in Port-Harcourt for the meeting, broke the news of the cancellation of the meeting after stakeholders comprising traditional rulers, religious leaders, opinion leaders, youths and women from the zone had seated at the Government House Port-Harcourt, the Rivers state capital.

Okowa, who spoke for the governors, informed the people that the Presidency gave an emergency security meeting called by President Muhammadu Buhari as reason for cancelling the Port-Harcourt meeting.

But in a solemn appeal to douse tension, Governor Okowa implored the people to remain calm in the face of the disrespect and embarrassment caused by the cancellation of the meeting.

He said that the governors were as pained as the other stakeholders over the disappointment, and assured that the governors would definitely convey the feeling of the people of the region to the Presidency.

Advertisement

“We understand the anger in you, and on our own part as governors, we are also angry because the South-South zone is a very important part of this nation. There is no doubt that we the governors also feel insulted and we feel very sad and touched at what has happened.

“We felt it was necessary to consult with you as critical stakeholders because if we had acted on the information without consulting you, that would have added to the insult already meted to us.

“Together we call for a public apology because the meeting was not called at our instance; it was called at the instance of the Presidency. Some of us didn’t sleep trying to put things in order to make this meeting a reality.

“We will convey this message to the Chief of Staff to the President that as a region we deserve public apology, particularly to our traditional rulers and opinion leaders and also to the Governors that you voted into office. This is the least we expect before this meeting can be reconvened,” Okowa had said.

But responding to South-south leaders demand for apology before a new date for the meeting should be convene, the Presidency merely explained the reason for the absence of the federal government delegation, saying that an emergency security meeting summoned by the President necessitated the call off, and “certainly not out of disrespect”.

According to spokesman of the president, Shehu Garba, the delegation to the meeting, under the Chief of Staff to the President, Professor Ibrahim Gambari, ministers and heads of security and intelligence agencies were in full readiness to proceed to Port Harcourt until they were directed to stay back for the emergency security meeting.

Advertisement
Garba said; “This information and regret for the inconvenience caused were conveyed to the hosts of the meeting through what we believed were the right channels”.
Continuing, he said; “As may have been gleaned from the statement read by the Minister of Police Affairs, Muhammad Maigari Dingyadi, the extraordinary National Security Council meeting, under the President, was called in view of the gravity of the security situation affecting all parts of the country, including the South-South in the aftermath of the ENDSARS protests, and the need to rise to protect our national security and territorial integrity.
“The President is strongly and resolutely committed to hearing from leaders, stakeholders and our youth on burning issues affecting all parts of the federation, and to this effect, a new date for the meeting with the South-South will be agreed after due consultations with the parties concerned. Once again, the unavoidable postponement of the meeting is regretted”.
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
POLITICS55 minutes ago

Isoko North Chairman Commends Peaceful Conduct of APC Council Ward Congresses

FEATURED6 hours ago

Tinubu Signs Order to Eliminate NNPCL’S Deductions, Direct Remittance of Oil Revenues to Federation Account

FEATURED8 hours ago

Electoral Act: It’s Not About Politics, It’s About Process – Tinubu

FEATURED9 hours ago

NDPC Probes Temu for Alleged Violation of Data Protection Act

BUSINESS10 hours ago

How FairMoney is Powering the Next Generation of Nigerian SMEs, By James Edeh

FEATURED23 hours ago

Cross-Sector Budget Defense: Sen. Nwoko’s Ensures Active Engagement to Enhance Transparent Resource Allocation

FEATURED1 day ago

NSCDC Apprehends 10 Vandals, Kidnappers in Abuja

COMMUNITY REPORT1 day ago

Isoko South Chairman Hands Over 100 Pieces of Chairs Donated to Enwhe Comprehensive High School

FEATURED1 day ago

Isoko North Boss Hails Oborevwori’s Gender-friendly and Inclusive Approach to Governance

FEATURED1 day ago

Delta Police Enforces Traffic Laws, to Charge Offenders to Mobile Court

FEATURED1 day ago

Integrity Over Politics: Why Delta North Needs Ned Nwoko, a Leader with a Clean Record

FEATURED3 days ago

BREAKING: DSS Slams el-Rufai With 3-count Charges at FHC for ‘intercepting’ NSA Ribadu’s Phone Conversation

FEATURED3 days ago

Tinubu Deploys Shettima-led FG Delegation to Kano Over Biggest Market Fire Disaster

Akpeki
FEATURED3 days ago

Crisis Rocks Delta North APC as Ward Chairmen Demand Suspension of Congress Over Alleged Imposition

Akpeki
FEATURED3 days ago

Delta APC Leaders Petition Warri South West LGA Over Alleged Imposition, Constitutional Violations by Ward Chairman

Advertisement
Advertisement

z