Connect with us

FEATURED

Alleged N3.6bn Fraud: Court Seizes Ex-NDDC EDP, Omatsuli’s Passport, Adjourns Trial To Feb 11

Published

on

Justice Salisu Seidu of the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, has adjourned the N3.6 billion fraud trial involving a former Executive Director on Projects, Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC, Tuoyo Omatsuli and Francis Momoh to February 11, 2019.

The defendants, who were charged along with their companies, Don Parker Properties Limited and Building Associates Limited respectively, were arraigned on November 10, 2018 on a 45-count charge bordering on conspiracy and money laundering to the tune of N3,645,000,000 (Three Billion, Six Hundred and Forty-Five Million Naira) only.

The defendants pleaded “not guilty” to the charges preferred against them and were subsequently granted bail on November 16, 2018 in the sum of N100 million each with two sureties in like sum. The sureties being resident in Lagos, and one of them must be a civil servant and a blood relation of the defendants, who must have a landed property in Lagos with the Certificate of Occupancy. The other surety must be a Deputy Director in any Ministry in Lagos.

The defendants were also ordered to submit their international passports to the court’s registrar.

Consequently, Justice Seidu adjourned to January 8, 2019 for “commencement of trial”.

However, at resume proceedings, the second defendant, Momoh, who appeared in court with the first defendant, could not walk without the aid of crutches.

Advertisement
Article Banner

His lawyer, Norrison Quakers, SAN, told the court that his client had not enjoyed adequate medical attention because he had been in prison with the first defendant since they were admitted to bail on November 16, 2018.

Quakers further told the court that his client’s health had deteriorated in prison custody and that he needed urgent medical attention.

“My Lord, due to the state of health of my client, we are unable to proceed.

“In view of this, I ask that today and tomorrow be vacated to enable him to seek an urgent medical attention,” he pleaded.

Counsel to the first defendant, Atunda Kayode, SAN, also aligned with the prayer of the counsel to the second defendant.

The prosecution counsel, Ekene Iheanacho, however, opposed the prayers of the defence.

Advertisement
Article Banner

He told the court that the defendants were granted bail, adding that the deterioration in the condition of the second defendant was due to his failure to perfect his bail conditions.

“The defendant has an injury in his legs and not his ears; so, this should not stall the proceedings,” he argued.

After listening to both parties, Justice Seidu held that the second defendant could not stand trial due to his health challenge.

The Judge further directed counsel to the second defendant to ensure the perfection of his bail conditions.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
Defense and Security51 minutes ago

Tinubu Assigns Famadewa to Lead Service Chiefs, Ribadu for 5-Year National Security Threat Assessment, Defence Strategy Development

FEATURES2 hours ago

2027: Extend Your Love For Me To President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

FEATURES2 hours ago

Oborevwori Sets to Inaugurate Perm Secretaries Quarters Today

FEATURES2 hours ago

Omo-Agege Warns Delta Gov: You’ll be Held Responsible If My Family or I Come Under Attack as Campaigns Begin

Defense and Security12 hours ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES13 hours ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED16 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES16 hours ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Defense and Security17 hours ago

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke ‘Escapes Death’ as Gunmen Attack Convoy in Osogbo

Defense and Security19 hours ago

UNICEF Demands Urgent Release of 78 Abducted Borno Schoolchildren

secure number one position
FEATURES19 hours ago

FCT Police Arrest 40 Over Traffic Robbery, Kidnapping, Armed Robbery

FEATURES1 day ago

‘No Ban On Nigerians’ — South Africa Dismisses Visa Stoppage Rumours

BUSINESS1 day ago

BOI Applauds Tinubu’s Reforms for Success of N250 Billion Bond

FEATURES2 days ago

Tinubu Warns Politicians: No Ethnic or Religious Politics Ahead of 2027

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

Tantita Has Boosted Nigeria’s Oil Revenue, Employed Over 10.000 N’Delta Youths – Consultant

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner