Connect with us

NEWS

CCT Trial: Saraki Is Free, Supreme Court Rules

Published

on

The Supreme Court on Friday ruled that Senate President Bukola Saraki has no case to answer at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT).

The federal government filed an appeal after the CCT had struck out the alleged false assets declaration charges against the senate president.

On Friday, Centus Unweze, a judge, upheld the verdict of the CCT.

Last year, chairman of the tribunal, Danladi Umar terminated Saraki’s trial after an application by the senate president.

Meanwhile, Umar dismissed the entire 18 counts preferred against the senate president on the grounds that the prosecution, with its four witnesses and 49 exhibits tendered, only led hearsay evidence.

However, the federal government appealed the ruling and on December 12, 2017, the court of appeal asked Saraki to enter defence for three counts.

Advertisement

Saraki proceeded to the supreme court to challenge appeal court’s decision.

At the apex court ruling, Unweze said the appeal court was wrong to have asked the senate president to enter defence for three counts at the CCT.

He described the appeal court’s decision as “judicial equivalent of a forensic somersault”.

When asked to react to the ruling, Rotimi Jacobs, counsel to the federal government, said the decision of the court is binding on everyone.

“That’s the decision of the apex court, and the being a decision of the apex court, it is binding on everyone, it is binding on me, it is binding on my client,” Jacobs said.

“So the question whether I’m satisfied, it is not the question of my own satisfaction, it is a question of law.”

Advertisement

Counsel to Saraki, Kanu Agabi said: “I just want to say we are grateful to God, we are grateful to supreme court. This matter is over, let there be peace in our country.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
COMMUNITY REPORT4 hours ago

Kidnapped Students, Teachers in Orire Still Held,Rescue Rumors False -Oyo Police

FEATURED6 hours ago

Agediga Hails Oborevwori’s Emergence as APC 2027 Candidate, Cites Education Gains in Delta

FEATURED17 hours ago

Gov Oborevwori Emerged Unopposed as 2027 Delta APC Guber Candidate with 345,375 Affirmation Votes

FEATURED18 hours ago

Delta: Keke Man Sent for ‘School Runs’, Kidnapped Child in His Care, Demanded N.5m Ransom, and Got Arrested

FEATURED19 hours ago

Presidency Debunks Viral Claim on Nigeria Name Change, Sharia Law Abolition

OPINION21 hours ago

RE: NORBERT SOCHUKWUDINMA’S FALSE CLAIMS ON ARISE TV REGARDING DELTA NORTH APC PRIMARIES

FEATURED24 hours ago

Ijaws, Urhobos Applaud INEC on Release of S’Court-ordered Warri delineation Report

FEATURED1 day ago

Warri Delineation: Itsekiri Youth Group, UIY Rejects INEC’s New Proposal, Alleges ‘State-Sponsored Electoral Fraud’

FEATURED1 day ago

IBB Urges Northern Leaders to Unite, Warns Region Risks Collapse ‎

FEATURED1 day ago

Morris Monye Issues Public Apology to Obidient Movement Over Controversial Resignation Letter ‎

NEWS1 day ago

Oborevwori Congratulates Waive at 60

Preliminary Voter Register
FEATURED1 day ago

Itsekiri Leaders Reject INEC’s New Constituency Delineation, Claim They Are Based on Fake Data

FEATURED1 day ago

How ‘Abuja Pressure’ Forced Fubara, Cole Out of Rivers Governorship Race

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

Delta 2027: Isoko South Boss Congratulates Onwo, Ashakah, Idhoveh for Winning APC Assembly Tickets

FEATURED2 days ago

‘No Contest’ as Delta Speaker Guwor, Augoye, Uduaghan Secure APC Tickets in Sweep of Affirmations

Advertisement
Advertisement

z