Connect with us

BUSINESS

Workers’ Sack: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Direct Members To Down Tools In All Chevron Facilities

Published

on

Leadership of National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas (NUPENG) and the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN), have asked its members in Chevron Nigeria Limited to down tools for a major industrial action expected to kick off on Monday.

BIGPEN reports that the two main oil and gas labour union directed total shut down of the company’s operations in a joint statement on Sunday following the sack of 600 Nigerian employees and other anti-labour practices by the management of the company.

NUPENG’S President, Williams Akporeha, and the President, PENGASSAN, Festus Osifo, said: “We have directed our members in Chevron to withdraw their services.

“We also call on the Federal Government to call Chevron management to order, otherwise we can no longer guarantee industrial peace in the oil and gas sector.

“Here is our fatherland and we have a labour law that regulates the activities of organisations in Nigeria; this law cannot be breached; we must follow the process.”

The duo alleged that Chevron management on Independence Day, notified about 2,000 of its employees that their services were no longer required.

Advertisement

Both leaders also alleged that the Chevron management had asked those employees who were still interested in working with them to apply afresh.

“This development runs contrary to Nigeria’s laws regulating the oil and gas industry as it does not protect our national interest.

“This is an imperialist agenda that must not be allowed to stay; most especially as we have just finished celebrating our 60th independence as a sovereign country,” the duo said.

Earlier in a statement, Chevron’s General Manager Policy, Government and Public Affairs, Esimaje Brikinn, said the welfare and safety of its workforce was one of its highest priorities.

Brikinn said: “Making changes to the organisation is never easy for anyone that will be impacted, but it is to improve our ability to remain competitive in Nigeria.

“Reducing the cost and improving the efficiency of our operations are critical to generating more revenues for the Federal Government of Nigeria,” he said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED2 hours ago

Gov Oborevwori Emerged Unopposed as 2027 Delta APC Guber Candidate with 345,375 Affirmation Votes

FEATURED3 hours ago

Delta: Keke Man Sent for ‘School Runs’, Kidnapped Child in His Care, Demanded N.5m Ransom, and Got Arrested

FEATURED4 hours ago

Presidency Debunks Viral Claim on Nigeria Name Change, Sharia Law Abolition

OPINION5 hours ago

RE: NORBERT SOCHUKWUDINMA’S FALSE CLAIMS ON ARISE TV REGARDING DELTA NORTH APC PRIMARIES

FEATURED8 hours ago

Ijaws, Urhobos Applaud INEC on Release of S’Court-ordered Warri delineation Report

FEATURED13 hours ago

Warri Delineation: Itsekiri Youth Group, UIY Rejects INEC’s New Proposal, Alleges ‘State-Sponsored Electoral Fraud’

FEATURED15 hours ago

IBB Urges Northern Leaders to Unite, Warns Region Risks Collapse ‎

FEATURED16 hours ago

Morris Monye Issues Public Apology to Obidient Movement Over Controversial Resignation Letter ‎

NEWS16 hours ago

Oborevwori Congratulates Waive at 60

Preliminary Voter Register
FEATURED17 hours ago

Itsekiri Leaders Reject INEC’s New Constituency Delineation, Claim They Are Based on Fake Data

FEATURED18 hours ago

How ‘Abuja Pressure’ Forced Fubara, Cole Out of Rivers Governorship Race

COMMUNITY REPORT24 hours ago

Delta 2027: Isoko South Boss Congratulates Onwo, Ashakah, Idhoveh for Winning APC Assembly Tickets

FEATURED24 hours ago

‘No Contest’ as Delta Speaker Guwor, Augoye, Uduaghan Secure APC Tickets in Sweep of Affirmations

FEATURED1 day ago

Published INEC Warri Ward Delineation Still a Proposal, Subject to Review – Omagbemi

Preliminary Voter Register
FEATURED1 day ago

Warri Wards: INEC Publishes Final Delineation Report, Urges Stakeholders to Review

Advertisement
Advertisement

z