Connect with us

FEATURED

Jonathan Opens Up: Losing 2015 Election As Incumbent President Felt Like The World Was Against Me

Published

on

Former President Goodluck Jonathan, on Friday, recounted the experience of losing the 2015 presidential election, saying it was a tough moment in his political life.

The ex-president admitted that he was emotional when he learned the result, adding that it felt as if the whole world was against him.

He made the confession in Abuja at the 1st Raymond Dokpesi Annual Diamond Lecture, organised by the management of Daar Communications in collaboration with the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations.

Jonathan, who ran on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, was defeated in the 2015 election by the All Progressives Congress candidate, Muhammadu Buhari.

According to Punch report, the former military dictator polled 15,424,921 votes, relegating the ex-president, who garnered only 12,853,162 votes, to second place.

The election marked the first time an incumbent president had lost re-election in Nigeria.

Beaming with a smile as he addressed the audience on Friday, Jonathan said the emotional torment he experienced was inexplicable.

Advertisement

The former Bayelsa deputy governor also recounted the fatherly role the Chairman of Daar Communications, Raymond Dokpesi, played before he officially handed over to Buhari.

He said, “It is not easy to lose an election as a president. You will think the whole world is against you. But then, Dokpesi invited me before I handed over. I remember what he said to me when I lost the election.

“There were so many senior Nigerians (elder statesmen) who spoke. After I listened to all the conversations, he congratulated me and encouraged me to look beyond the election. This is how I commemorated that session.

“That communication gave me hope and helped me not necessarily for the transition hour ahead of me but also in my spiritual life as a private citizen. If you read my book, My Transition Hours, I explain it more elaborately.”

Earlier in his address, the Minister of Information, Idris Mohammed, urged Nigerians not to abuse the freedom of speech they are enjoying.

While describing Dokpesi as a patriot and exceptional media personality, Mohammed suggested that others should borrow a leaf from his exemplary lifestyle of nation-building.

Advertisement

“Our respect for freedom of speech is sacrosanct even as we continue to urge responsibility in the exercise of this freedom. Nigerians are free to speak about this dear country of ours. What we can and will continue to do is to avoid getting to the point where reckless negativity becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts.

“We will make a grievous error individually and collectively if we choose to focus only on what is not working and neglect to balance it with equal attention to the things we are getting right. And we are getting a lot of things right as a nation even in our present circumstances.

“The media has an important role to play in strengthening this balanced approach through your reportage as shepherds and drivers of public opinion. The late Dokpesi played his part, and he did it in a way that he will never be forgotten,” he stated.

Dokpesi passed away on May 29, 2023.

According to DAAR Communications Group Managing Director, Tony Akiotu, he had been ill for a few weeks before his death.

Akiotu added that the former marine engineer fell off his treadmill during a routine gym exercise.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED9 hours ago

Pakistan Offers to Help Nigeria Fight Terrorism as Defence Adviser Meets COAS

FEATURES9 hours ago

Oborevwori Boosts Infrastructure at UNIDEL, Inaugurates Faculties of Engineering, Environmental Sciences

FEATURED1 day ago

How Orubebe and Jonathan Came Close to Losing Their Lives for Amnesty

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

DSCTDA Sustains Cleanup Exercise at Koka Bridge

FEATURED2 days ago

el-Rufai Moved from EFCC to ICPC Detention Facility Over Ongoing Investigations

FEATURED2 days ago

COAS Advocates for Sustainable Veterans’ Welfare Systems Backed by Law

Profiled
FEATURED2 days ago

Alleged $6bn Mambilla Fraud: Agunloye Knew Sunrise Power Owner, Leno Adesanya Before Ministerial Appointment – EFCC Witness

FEATURED2 days ago

Two Arraigned for Alleged N143million Fraud in Benin-City

FEATURED2 days ago

Court Grants EFCC Interim Attachment Order on Nine Mineral-Laden Trucks Impounded in Ilorin

POLITICS2 days ago

Isoko North Chairman Commends Peaceful Conduct of APC Council Ward Congresses

FEATURED3 days ago

Tinubu Signs Order to Eliminate NNPCL’S Deductions, Direct Remittance of Oil Revenues to Federation Account

FEATURED3 days ago

Electoral Act: It’s Not About Politics, It’s About Process – Tinubu

FEATURED3 days ago

NDPC Probes Temu for Alleged Violation of Data Protection Act

BUSINESS3 days ago

How FairMoney is Powering the Next Generation of Nigerian SMEs, By James Edeh

FEATURED3 days ago

Cross-Sector Budget Defense: Sen. Nwoko’s Ensures Active Engagement to Enhance Transparent Resource Allocation

Advertisement
Advertisement

z