Connect with us

FEATURED

‘It’s A Politically-motivated Hatchet Job’ – El-Rufai On Alleged ‘N423bn Fraud Indictment’

Published

on

El-Rufai

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, on Wednesday, responded to fraud allegation leveled against his administration by the State House of Assembly, accusing the state lawmakers of executing a politically-motivated hatchet job.

A report by the House of Assembly had earlier in the day accused el-Rufai’s administration from 2015 to 2023 of embezzling over N423 billion, while also indicting him of money laundering but El-Rufai declared that he complied with all extant laws in all his activities while he was the governor.

“I served the state with integrity and my record in office cannot be altered by any malicious effort”, he declared.

The chairman of the ad-hoc committee set up by the House of Assembly to investigate all the finances, loans and contracts awarded during the Nasir El-Rufai administration, Magaji Danjuma, had earlier on Wednesday submitted the report to the House.

He said the committee discovered evidence of several cases of alleged corruption in the running of the state from May 2015 to May 2023.

Danjuma said that the committee had also discovered some alleged improper awards of contracts without due process with some loans collected without the approval of the Assembly.

While reading the report summary, the Speaker, Dahiru Liman, said that the El-Rufai administration had a total income of N1.49 trillion in the years under review, adding that “some of these monies were allegedly misappropriated”.

Advertisement

But, in a statement by El-Rufai’s Media Adviser, Mr. Muyiwa Adekeye, he described the Assembly’s action as “jaundiced probe” which should be disregarded.

“We are aware of news that the Kaduna State House of Assembly has adopted the report of the ad-hoc committee it asked to probe the El-Rufai government. We have not been availed a copy of the report, to which we would respond robustly whenever we obtain it. We affirm the integrity of the El-Rufai government and dismiss the scandalous claims being aired as the report of the committee.

“Malam Nasir El-Rufai is immensely proud of his record of governance and the legacy he left in Kaduna State. This record of high performance in public and private office cannot be altered by any malicious effort to use the auspices of a state legislature for defamation and undeserved smears.

“Many of the officials who served in the El-Rufai government appeared before the ad-hoc committee because of their confidence in the quality of their service and the rectitude which they served Kaduna State. They were under no illusion that they were participating in a fair process. It was obvious that the ad hoc committee was merely going through the motions of an inquiry just to give some gloss to predetermined conclusions.

“It is sad to see such a shameful departure from any notion of decency and fairness by a state legislature. We dismiss with contempt the claims being peddled in connection with the report.

“Malam El-Rufai wishes to assure discerning Nigerians that he served Kaduna State with integrity and to the best of his capacity, assisted by a hardworking and patriotic team. He complied with all extant laws in all his activities while he was the governor. This jaundiced probe should be disregarded as the politically motivated hatchet job it is”.

Advertisement

(Freedom Online, excluding headline)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED2 hours ago

NDLEA Arrests Real Estate Chief, Busts Woman with Drugs in Fake Pregnancy as Ivorian Excretes 82 Cocaine Wraps at Kano Airport

FEATURED7 hours ago

Oborevwori Rewards UNIDEL Best Graduating Student with ₦5m, 30 First-class with N500k Each

FEATURED8 hours ago

48-year-old Suspected Gun Runner Arrested with 969 Rounds of Ammunition in Taraba

FEATURED1 day ago

Ribadu’s Phone Bugging: DSS to Arraign El-Rufai Feb 25

FEATURED2 days ago

Pakistan Offers to Help Nigeria Fight Terrorism as Defence Adviser Meets COAS

FEATURES2 days ago

Oborevwori Boosts Infrastructure at UNIDEL, Inaugurates Faculties of Engineering, Environmental Sciences

FEATURED2 days ago

How Orubebe and Jonathan Came Close to Losing Their Lives for Amnesty

COMMUNITY REPORT3 days ago

DSCTDA Sustains Cleanup Exercise at Koka Bridge

FEATURED4 days ago

el-Rufai Moved from EFCC to ICPC Detention Facility Over Ongoing Investigations

FEATURED4 days ago

COAS Advocates for Sustainable Veterans’ Welfare Systems Backed by Law

Profiled
FEATURED4 days ago

Alleged $6bn Mambilla Fraud: Agunloye Knew Sunrise Power Owner, Leno Adesanya Before Ministerial Appointment – EFCC Witness

FEATURED4 days ago

Two Arraigned for Alleged N143million Fraud in Benin-City

FEATURED4 days ago

Court Grants EFCC Interim Attachment Order on Nine Mineral-Laden Trucks Impounded in Ilorin

POLITICS4 days ago

Isoko North Chairman Commends Peaceful Conduct of APC Council Ward Congresses

FEATURED4 days ago

Tinubu Signs Order to Eliminate NNPCL’S Deductions, Direct Remittance of Oil Revenues to Federation Account

Advertisement
Advertisement

z