Connect with us

FEATURED

JUST IN: After Meeting Ngige, Electricity Workers Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks

Published

on

The National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) has suspended its nationwide strike for two weeks.

www.bigpenngr.com understands the workers’ decision came after their meeting with Chris Ngige, minister of labour.

Ngige summoned an emergency meeting after the workers embarked on industrial action on Wednesday and withdrew their services from the Kaduna Regional Headquarters of the Transmission Company of Nigeria in line with the union’s national leadership directive.

“The Minister of Labour, Dr. Chris Ngige, has invited the electricity workers, who have shut down their services nationwide, for an urgent meeting in Abuja. The meeting will hold at 4 pm today,” according to PUNCH.

The PUNCH had earlier reported that the Minister of Power, Abubakar Aliyu, claimed that the protesting workers do not have issues with his ministry but with the Head of Service.

Aliyu, however, assured Nigerians that the government has “all the ingredients” to solve the supply challenge soon.

On Wednesday morning, the NUEE withdrew its services from the Kaduna Regional Headquarters of the Transmission Company of Nigeria according to the directive of the union’s national leadership.

Advertisement

NUEE officials cordoned off the Mando TCN Station in the Kaduna state capital, cutting all operations, and forcing workers out of the company’s premises before locking the gate.

They are protesting the nonpayment of outstanding arrears owed to former workers of the now-defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria, suspension of conditions of service and career path for workers and the directive by the TCN board to conduct promotion interviews for acting principal managers who are moving to Assistant General Managers.

The workers said the TCN Kaduna office which oversees operations in Kaduna, Kebbi, Sokoto and Zamfara, will resume operations only after the Federal Government meets all their demands.

The PUNCH also reports on Wednesday that the Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company announced a shutdown of operations following the issues between the National Union of Electricity Employees and the Transmission Company of Nigeria.

“Due to the ongoing nationwide picketing of Transmission Stations by the NUEE, we are currently experiencing disruption of power supply as most stations within our network have been shut down.

“Kindly bear with us as we await an amicable resolution by the relevant stakeholders,” Ikeja Electric said in a statement shared on its Twitter page.

Advertisement

The organised labour had directed workers in the power sector to shut down and commence an indefinite strike over pending issues with the TCN.

The aggrieved workers under the aegis of the NUEE were at the Abuja national headquarters of the TCN Tuesday as a prelude to the proposed strike.

The union noted that the strike was in protest of a directive by the TCN Board mandating all PMs in acting capacity going to the Annual General Meeting to appear for promotional interviews.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED19 hours ago

Oborevwori Attributes Tinubu’s 407,646 Votes in Delta to Internal Party Unity

COMMUNITY REPORT22 hours ago

Ijaws of Warri South Back INEC, Allege High-Level Plot to Overturn New Wards Delineation Report

Howo trailer
FEATURED1 day ago

UPDATED: Delta Raid: Police Smash Criminal Dens, 23 Nabbed, Howo Trailer Recovered

FEATURED1 day ago

Former Bauchi Governor Stages Comeback, Clinches APC Governorship Ticket 

FEATURED1 day ago

US Closes Loophole: Nigerians Must Now Finish Green Card Back Home ‎

FEATURED1 day ago

Edo Police Strike Back; All 13 Abducted Passengers Freed After Shootout ‎

FEATURED2 days ago

Delta Directs Renewed Hope Coordinators, LGA Ambassadors to Mobilise for Tinubu’s APC Presidential Primary

social media
COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

Full List of Senator Ned Nwoko’s Achievements in the Service of Anioma-Nigeria

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

Kidnapped Students, Teachers in Orire Still Held,Rescue Rumors False -Oyo Police

FEATURED2 days ago

Agediga Hails Oborevwori’s Emergence as APC 2027 Candidate, Cites Education Gains in Delta

FEATURED3 days ago

Gov Oborevwori Emerged Unopposed as 2027 Delta APC Guber Candidate with 345,375 Affirmation Votes

FEATURED3 days ago

Delta: Keke Man Sent for ‘School Runs’, Kidnapped Child in His Care, Demanded N.5m Ransom, and Got Arrested

FEATURED3 days ago

Presidency Debunks Viral Claim on Nigeria Name Change, Sharia Law Abolition

OPINION3 days ago

RE: NORBERT SOCHUKWUDINMA’S FALSE CLAIMS ON ARISE TV REGARDING DELTA NORTH APC PRIMARIES

FEATURED3 days ago

Ijaws, Urhobos Applaud INEC on Release of S’Court-ordered Warri delineation Report

Advertisement
Advertisement

z