Connect with us

COMMUNITY REPORT

Women Place Curse On Community Over Corpse Dumped On Delta Monarch’s Palace

Published

on

Women from all clans of the Ughelli Kingdom mostly aged women in their 80s have reportedly placed curse on those who dumped the corpse of an Iwhreko youth killed during the celebration of the Ihenrin cultural festival at the ancient palace of Ughelli Kingdom, Delta State.

BIGPENNGR understands that the women in their numbers carrying placard with different inscriptions had on Wednesday danced half naked to Otor- Iwhreko community over claims that the locals defiled the royal palace of Ughelli kingdom and Ughelli land by dropping the corpse of one of the victims of the ill-fated communal crisis that rocked Ekiugbo and Otor-Iwhreko communities both of Ughelli Kingdom.

The placards bore by the protesters had  different inscriptions such as; ‘Mr. Sunday Onabedje has desecrated Ughelli Kingdom’, Austin Odugbo, Monday Abudu has defiled Ughelli kingdom’, ‘Defilement of Ughelli royal palace is totally rejected, it is abomination’ ‘Banish the perpetrators’.

While calling for the banishment of the perpetrators, the protesters told journalists that “until the ritual cleansing of the land is done, the women will not lift the curse place on the community and will not do anything with Otor-Iwhreko anymore”.

Speaking to newsmen during the protest, one of the protesters simply identified as Margret said it is an abominable thing for the king to see corpse adding that last week some persons from Otor- Iwhreko community led by the community chairman, Mr. Sunday Onabedje brought a corpse to the palace of Ughelli kingdom while the king was holding meeting with his chief in the palace.

“It is an abomination and forbidden in Ughelli kingdom for the king to see corpse, we the women from all the communities in the kingdom decided to embarked on protest calling on the erring community (Otor–Iwhreko) to come and clean the land of Ughelli kingdom.

Advertisement

“We decided to dance naked to the community especially to the houses of those the community chairman used to drop the corpse in the palace, we heaped branches of leaves in their community and their door steps symbolizing curses on them should they fail to do the needful”.

Earlier, the President General of Ughelli Descendants Union (UDU), Chief Pius Amubaye while addressing the protesters at the palace before embarking on the protest, said, the council of chiefs in Ughelli kingdom called on all communities in Ughelli kingdom to bring ten women each for the protest.

“You are invited by HRM Wilson Ojakovo Oharisi III the Ovie of Ughelli kingdom to dance naked to Otor – Iwhreko community for the abominable thing they did to the kingdom, they defiled the land of Ughelli, they desecrated the kingdom’s palace, the monarch invited but they turned the invitation down.

“You are to dance round the community to place leaves in their door steps and make incantations and come back, be rest assure you have the backing of council of chiefs, UDU and security agencies”, he said.

Local sources revealed that the protesters were chased back with gun shots from the community by aggrieved youths from Iwhreko community.

Recalls the people of Iwhreko community had on Wednesday called on Governor Ifeanyi Okowa to come to their rescue as their lives were in danger from arrest threat issued by their monarch and unprovoked violent attacks by Ekiugbo people.

Advertisement

In a save our soul message to Governor Okowa, the President-General of Iwhreko community, Mr. Godwin Onabedje, stated that trouble started last week Thursday, September 16, when Ekiugbo youths ambushed and sporadically shot at Iwhreko youths who were celebrating the Ihenrin cultural festival, killing one and injuring many who were in critical condition.

Following the unprovoked attack, he said, “the people then protested the unprovoked attack to the palace of the Ovie, carrying the corpse.

“The next day, instead of showing concern over the series of unprovoked attacks by Ekiugbo on Iwhreko people, the king issued a letter commanding the Iwhreko people to cleanse his palace, which he claimed was desecrated by the presence of a corpse.

The letter, signed by the Ovie royal secretary, Oderohwo Solomon, read: “HRM has given you three days to cleanse the Ovie Palace on or before September 31 for bringing a dead body to the gate of the palace.

“Failure to adhere to the instruction shall lead to arrest.”

The letter was specifically addressed to six members of the Iwhreko community namely: Onabedje Godwin, Samson Abudu (a victim of gunshot who is between life and death), Mama Gabmas Emariovwore, Mama Patricia Arigo Akpowevwe, Austin Odugbo Okirhieri and Daniel Uloho.

Advertisement

In response, the six took the matter to court and instituted a case in Suit No UHC/152/2021 seeking enforcement of their fundamental human rights and praying the court to declare that among others, the threat of arresting the applicants over the cleansing of the respondent’s Palace was illegal, unconstitutional, unwarranted and a calculated act to infringe the applicants’ fundamental right to personal liberty, dignity of person, freedom of thought, conscience and religion and freedom of movement.

Onabedje said it was consequent upon the court notice that the monarch, in court contempt, mobilised the women from various parts of the kingdom to confront and invoke a curse on the Iwhreko people.

FEATURED2 hours ago

Isoko North Boss Hails Oborevwori’s Gender-friendly and Inclusive Approach to Governance

FEATURED3 hours ago

Delta Police Enforces Traffic Laws, to Charge Offenders to Mobile Court

FEATURED3 hours ago

Integrity Over Politics: Why Delta North Needs Ned Nwoko, a Leader with a Clean Record

FEATURED1 day ago

BREAKING: DSS Slams el-Rufai With 3-count Charges at FHC for ‘intercepting’ NSA Ribadu’s Phone Conversation

FEATURED1 day ago

Tinubu Deploys Shettima-led FG Delegation to Kano Over Biggest Market Fire Disaster

Akpeki
FEATURED1 day ago

Crisis Rocks Delta North APC as Ward Chairmen Demand Suspension of Congress Over Alleged Imposition

Akpeki
FEATURED1 day ago

Delta APC Leaders Petition Warri South West LGA Over Alleged Imposition, Constitutional Violations by Ward Chairman

El-Rufai
FEATURED2 days ago

N’Delta Coalition Calls for Immediate Arrest, Probe of El-Rufai Over NSA Phone Tapping Claim

FEATURED2 days ago

Tinubu, Oborevwori Rally Support for Nigeria’s Police at Asaba Police Games Opening

METRO2 days ago

Troops Sustains Offensive Pressure, Kills Score of Terrorists, Recover Arms, Logistics Items

COMMUNITY REPORT3 days ago

Delta Community Pays “Thank You Visit” to Council Boss

FEATURED3 days ago

I’ll Be President But I stand for PBAT and Gov Oborevwori’s Re-election 2027 – Ex-Minister Orubebe

NEWS3 days ago

Oborevwori Eulogies Ovie of Uvwie Kingdom on 18th Coronation Anniversary

NEWS3 days ago

Oborevwori Hails Ex-Vanguard Editor, Mideno Bayagbon at 65

FEATURED3 days ago

Oborevwori Emerges Overall New Telegraph Governor Of The Year 2025

Advertisement
Advertisement

z