Connect with us

FEATURED

Kano: Eyes, Kidneys, Lungs Are Harvested To Service European Clinics – NAPTIP

Published

on

Governor Ganduje

Human trafficking is widespread in Kano, says the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), as Governor Abdullahi Ganduje pledged to support the agency.

This is contained in a statement signed by NAPTIP spokesman Vincent Adekoye on Tuesday.

NAPTIP’s director-general Basheet Mohammed disclosed that human trafficking was endemic in Kano based on the number of victims rescued, arrest, and prosecution of offenders.

“Organs like eyes, kidneys, and lungs are harvested to service the medical needs of Europe. From inception to date, NAPTIP has rescued a total of 16,277 victims of human trafficking,” said the NAPTIP boss.

He said out of 14,474 trafficked, 1,287 were from Kano.

”NAPTIP vulnerability index analysis showed that human trafficking is endemic in Kano. In the same vein, out of 482 convicted persons by the agency from inception, 110 are from Kano zonal command of NAPTIP, representing the highest in the country,” Mr Mohammed explained. “NAPTIP is worried about this ugly trend of trafficking young Nigerian women to the Middle East, who are mostly from Kano and neighbouring states. In the last 10 days, NAPTIP has successfully rescued 104 victims.

Advertisement
Article Banner

According to the NAPTIP director-general, the Kano command recently rescued 12 young Kano indigenes in Agadez, Niger Republic.

He added that the 12 Kano indigenes had been rehabilitated and reunited with their families.

Ahead of the inauguration of the state’s task force against trafficking, Mr Ganduje stated that human trafficking was endemic in Kano due to its status as an emerging business hub, coupled with other developments like road, rail lines, and others.

“We welcome the idea of the state task force on human trafficking. We shall partner with your agency, and the task force will be given the desired support,” Mr Ganduje stated. “The previous management of NAPTIP had narrowed their approach to issues of human trafficking alone. It is commendable you have identified other societal problems and are ready to tackle them.”

The governor also lauded the NAPTIP boss for his zeal, commitment, and innovation in the agency, which he said had led to the ongoing repositioning and hinting the state the mandate of the agency.

(NAN)

Advertisement
Article Banner
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
COMMUNITY REPORT2 hours ago

Isoko South Takes Delivery of 125 KVA Mini Farm Solar Power Supply for New Secretariat

FEATURED4 hours ago

‎2027: Lagos APC declares readiness, says ‘Tinubu’s journey to victory has begun’

COMMUNITY REPORT10 hours ago

Ogorugba Lauds Oborevwori on Newly Inaugurated Ozoro Ultra-Modern Market

Omo-Agege
FEATURED12 hours ago

Omo-Agege: How an Assassination Squad Attacked NDC Campaign, Threatened to Kill Me and My Coordinator in Delta

FEATURES14 hours ago

Demonstration Of Ignorance — Tinubu Rejects Subsidy Restoration Demands

FEATURED15 hours ago

‘Take Me Back to Senate’ — Omo-Agege Flags Off 2027 Campaign, Slams Oborevwori ‎

FEATURES17 hours ago

Sowore Blasts Adeleke Over Tinubu Visit Amid Osun Violence

FEATURED18 hours ago

Tinubu Receives Re-Elected Adeleke at Aso Rock, First Meeting Since Osun Victory

FEATURED24 hours ago

Oil Resumption: MOSOP Assures Ogoni People of a Good Deal, Announces Minor Cabinet Changes

Defense and Security1 day ago

Tinubu Assigns Famadewa to Lead Service Chiefs, Ribadu for 5-Year National Security Threat Assessment, Defence Strategy Development

FEATURES1 day ago

2027: Extend Your Love For Me To President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

FEATURES1 day ago

Oborevwori Sets to Inaugurate Perm Secretaries Quarters Today

FEATURES1 day ago

Omo-Agege Warns Delta Gov: You’ll be Held Responsible If My Family or I Come Under Attack as Campaigns Begin

Defense and Security2 days ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES2 days ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner