Connect with us

FEATURED

2023: My Successor Will Not Be Decided By Anybody “Just Sitting In Lagos”, Says Buhari 

Published

on

Buhari2_n
President Muhammadu Buhari has said the ruling APC’s decision making process regarding its leadership and 2023 elections would be bottom-up. He also refused to comment on power shift to the southern part of the country.

He said decisions would be made by the party in a way that includes party members, not as dictated by anybody “just sitting in Lagos”, an apparent dig at former Lagos Governor Bola Tinubu.

Mr Tinubu is believed to be eyeing the presidency in 2023 and has been involved in struggles to control the APC.

The president made his comment during his Arise TV interview broadcast on Thursday. He was asked a question on which part of the south would APC support to control the presidency when he leaves office in 2023.

In his reply, Mr Buhari, however did not comment on power rotation but suggested the party would decide. He then spoke about a participatory bottom-up decision making process, which he said would afford members a sense of belonging.

“Should we allow the party to decide?,” he queried as he tried to evade the question on which part of the south would have the presidency in 2023.

“I just told you we started from bottom up. And I gave the acting Chairman (Mala Buni) the end of this month of June…to give me report on the convention we are going to conduct and then arrange the elections and started this from bottom up.

“So, members of the party will feel they are involved in decision making. Nobody is just sitting in Lagos and asking them what to do.”

Advertisement
Article Banner

But he was further asked, “what’s your succession plan?”

Again, he said, “succession plan depends on the party. We are going to leave it to the party. The party will sit and make a decision.”

Since 2015 when APC came to power, Mr Tinubu has continued to face challenges from other party leaders, denying him a firm grip on the party.

He was instrumental to the exit of former chairman John Odigie-Oyegun but his struggle to save Mr Odigie-Oyegun’s successor, Adam Oshiomhole, failed last year. Mr Oshiomhole is a key ally of Mr Tinubu.

(This story excluding headline contains information from PREMIUM TIMES)

Advertisement
Article Banner
secure number one position
FEATURES48 minutes ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED3 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES3 hours ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Defense and Security5 hours ago

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke ‘Escapes Death’ as Gunmen Attack Convoy in Osogbo

Defense and Security6 hours ago

UNICEF Demands Urgent Release of 78 Abducted Borno Schoolchildren

secure number one position
FEATURES7 hours ago

FCT Police Arrest 40 Over Traffic Robbery, Kidnapping, Armed Robbery

FEATURES12 hours ago

‘No Ban On Nigerians’ — South Africa Dismisses Visa Stoppage Rumours

BUSINESS23 hours ago

BOI Applauds Tinubu’s Reforms for Success of N250 Billion Bond

FEATURES1 day ago

Tinubu Warns Politicians: No Ethnic or Religious Politics Ahead of 2027

COMMUNITY REPORT1 day ago

Tantita Has Boosted Nigeria’s Oil Revenue, Employed Over 10.000 N’Delta Youths – Consultant

FEATURES1 day ago

Jonathan Warns Serving Govs, Others to Stop Converging on States with ‘Army of Aides’ During Off-circle Elections

Wike
FEATURES1 day ago

‘If Tinubu Didn’t Allow Free Poll, Adeleke Wouldn’t Have Won’ — Wike

political structure
FEATURES1 day ago

Abuja Water Channels: Wike Vows ‘No One Will Be Spared’ in Demolition Operation

FEATURED1 day ago

APC Primaries: Ejele Sets to Withdraw Suit Against Senator Joel-Onowakpo

FEATURES2 days ago

‘Stop Burning Economic Opportunities’ — Sowore Urges FG To Legalise Cannabis

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner