Connect with us

BUSINESS

UPDATE: Court Orders Seizure Of ‘Dan Etete’s Luxury Jet’ Over US$1.3b Malabu Oil Deal

Published

on

A luxury jet ‘belonging’ to former Nigerian Petroleum Minister, Dan Etete, has been confiscated following an order of a court in Montreal, Canada in connection to the infamous US$1.3 billion OPL 245 oil block scandal (Malabu oil deal).

Dan Etete who allegedly owns Malabu as former petroleum minister purchased the jet for US$57-million in 2011 reportedly from proceed of fraud.

BIGPEN reports the private jet flew into Montreal-Trudeau International Airport on May 29, where it became the subject of a court order within hours of its landing, according to reports.

However, Bombardier, the maker of the jet says it is not a party in the court case and did not sell the plane to the former cabinet minister.

It was learnt that the seizure was part of a Nigerian government effort to recover stolen assets from key figures in successive governments.

Justice Chantal Masse of the Quebec Superior Court, responding to a Nigerian government request, ordered on May 30 that bailiffs should seize the Bombardier 6000 jet with tail number M-MYNA.

Advertisement

The plane had reportedly been flown from Dubai to Montreal for a servicing to allow it to be sold.

Justice Masse authorized the court’s bailiffs to “take control of and possession of the jet and the log book, and take all necessary action to ensure their preservation,” the court order says.

The former Nigerian oil minister, Dan Etete, was a central figure in a massive US$1.3-billion oil deal that involved the multinational oil giants Shell and Eni.

The deal is now the focus of a corruption trial in Italy, where Mr. Etete and others are facing charges.

Mr. Etete allegedly paid a US$54-million deposit for the Bombardier jet on the same day when he received US$336-million as part of the Nigerian oil deal.

He also reportedly purchased three armoured Cadillacs and a batch of luxury shotguns in the same spending spree. “Big-game hunting is one of his hobbies”, a source described him.

Advertisement

ALSO READ: Exclusive: Igho Sanomi “Private Jet” Was Actually Impounded Over His Inability To Finance His Own Side Of Deal With Creditors

Mark Masluch, a spokesman for Bombardier Aviation, said on Sunday, last week that Bombardier did not sell the aircraft to Mr. Etete or any other Nigerian client. Bombardier is not a party to the Montreal court order, was unaware of the court order and was not involved in the servicing of the plane, Mr. Masluch told The Globe and Mail.

Mr. Etete was oil minister in the final days of the military dictatorship of General Sani Abacha, who died mysteriously in 1998.

As minister, he allegedly awarded the rights to the lucrative OPL 245 oil block to a company that he secretly controlled, and later transferred the block to Shell and Eni in exchange for massive payments to the Nigerian government and to others, including himself.

The oil companies, along with Mr. Etete and other defendants in the corruption trial in Italy, have all denied any wrongdoing.

Nigerian authorities have also issued an arrest warrant for Mr. Etete in connection with the OPL 245 oil deal. He denies any wrongdoing.

Advertisement

A Nigerian government lawyer, who has been trying to recover the alleged proceeds of the OPL 245 oil deal since 2016, provided an affidavit to the Quebec court to justify the seizure of the airplane.

The jet was reportedly grounded for four years in Dubai, where Mr. Etete has a residence, before its unexpected flight to Montreal, which the lawyer and his investigators followed from flight-tracking data.

According to the report, it is unclear whether Mr. Etete still controls the jet. The court order suggests that the plane’s official owner is Tibit Ltd., an anonymously owned company that was incorporated in the British Virgin Islands.

Finance Uncovered, a non-profit London-based investigative reporting unit, said that Tibit’s sole director is a Montreal-based former employee of Bombardier, Giuseppina Russa, who is named in the court order. She told Finance Uncovered that she had been hired as a contractor to decorate the plane’s interior but had no dealings with Tibit since 2013 and had asked to be removed as a director several years ago. She left Bombardier in 2008, Mr. Masluch said.

In 2015, Bombardier sold a similar jet for US$52-million to South Africa’s Gupta brothers, a business family that was at the heart of South Africa’s biggest post-apartheid corruption scandal. The Guptas are facing criminal investigation for their business dealings with the son of former president Jacob Zuma, who resigned in 2018 under pressure from the corruption scandal.

The Gupta deal was financed by Canada’s export agency, Export Development Canada, which later investigated the deal and admitted it had made errors by providing a loan to the Guptas.

Advertisement

Documents suggest that Mr. Etete has purchased a mansion in the same exclusive Dubai property development where the Guptas own property, Finance Uncovered says.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED9 hours ago

BREAKING: DSS Slams el-Rufai With 3-count Charges at FHC for ‘intercepting’ NSA Ribadu’s Phone Conversation

FEATURED10 hours ago

Tinubu Deploys Shettima-led FG Delegation to Kano Over Biggest Market Fire Disaster

Akpeki
FEATURED11 hours ago

Crisis Rocks Delta North APC as Ward Chairmen Demand Suspension of Congress Over Alleged Imposition

Akpeki
FEATURED13 hours ago

Delta APC Leaders Petition Warri South West LGA Over Alleged Imposition, Constitutional Violations by Ward Chairman

El-Rufai
FEATURED1 day ago

N’Delta Coalition Calls for Immediate Arrest, Probe of El-Rufai Over NSA Phone Tapping Claim

FEATURED1 day ago

Tinubu, Oborevwori Rally Support for Nigeria’s Police at Asaba Police Games Opening

METRO1 day ago

Troops Sustains Offensive Pressure, Kills Score of Terrorists, Recover Arms, Logistics Items

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

Delta Community Pays “Thank You Visit” to Council Boss

FEATURED2 days ago

I’ll Be President But I stand for PBAT and Gov Oborevwori’s Re-election 2027 – Ex-Minister Orubebe

NEWS2 days ago

Oborevwori Eulogies Ovie of Uvwie Kingdom on 18th Coronation Anniversary

NEWS2 days ago

Oborevwori Hails Ex-Vanguard Editor, Mideno Bayagbon at 65

FEATURED2 days ago

Oborevwori Emerges Overall New Telegraph Governor Of The Year 2025

Preliminary Voter Register
FEATURED3 days ago

Controversy Trails 2027 Election Dates During Ramadan as INEC Confirms February 20, 2027, for Presidential Polls and March 6 for Gubernatorial Elections

FEATURED3 days ago

Delta Awards Scholarship to Children of Deceased Civil Servants as Oborevwori Approves 2025 Bursary for Students

FEATURED3 days ago

Nigeria Secures Permanent Seat on the Board of African Central Bank

Advertisement
Advertisement

z