Connect with us

NEWS

Court Okays Freezing Of Patience Jonathan’s Bank Accounts

Published

on

 

An Abuja Division of the Federal High Court has dismissed an application of alleged breach of fundamental rights brought against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission by former first lady, Patience Jonathan.

Mrs. Jonathan had asked the court to compel the EFCC to pay N2 billion for the alleged abuse of her fundamental rights.

The application, which was filed on June 30, 2017 by Mrs. Jonathan’s lawyers, claimed an abuse of the applicant’s rights on account of the fact that accounts belonging to Mrs. Jonathan had been frozen by the commission.

But in a judgement delivered by Justice John Tsoho, the Newsguru reports that the court said there were three issues seeking determination regarding the matter:

“Whether the application is not an abuse of the court process; whether the applicants fundamental rights have been abused; and whether the applicant is entitled to seek redress against her fundamental rights,” he said.

Advertisement
Article Banner

The judge said the arguments by the commission that the case was under investigation had weakened the submissions of the applicants that the frozen accounts were a violation of her fundamental rights.

“It is obvious that the case of the applicant was weakened by the assertion that the investigation is ongoing,” he said.

“Having held that the applicant’s case is not made out, I further hold that the applicants is not entitled to any of the reliefs sort.

[Widget_Twitter id=”1″]

Omo-Agege
FEATURED1 hour ago

Omo-Agege: How an Assassination Squad Attacked NDC Campaign, Threatened to Kill Me and My Coordinator in Delta

FEATURES3 hours ago

Demonstration Of Ignorance — Tinubu Rejects Subsidy Restoration Demands

FEATURED4 hours ago

‘Take Me Back to Senate’ — Omo-Agege Flags Off 2027 Campaign, Slams Oborevwori ‎

FEATURES6 hours ago

Sowore Blasts Adeleke Over Tinubu Visit Amid Osun Violence

FEATURED7 hours ago

Tinubu Receives Re-Elected Adeleke at Aso Rock, First Meeting Since Osun Victory

FEATURED13 hours ago

Oil Resumption: MOSOP Assures Ogoni People of a Good Deal, Announces Minor Cabinet Changes

Defense and Security15 hours ago

Tinubu Assigns Famadewa to Lead Service Chiefs, Ribadu for 5-Year National Security Threat Assessment, Defence Strategy Development

FEATURES15 hours ago

2027: Extend Your Love For Me To President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

FEATURES15 hours ago

Oborevwori Sets to Inaugurate Perm Secretaries Quarters Today

FEATURES16 hours ago

Omo-Agege Warns Delta Gov: You’ll be Held Responsible If My Family or I Come Under Attack as Campaigns Begin

Defense and Security1 day ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES1 day ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED1 day ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES1 day ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Defense and Security1 day ago

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke ‘Escapes Death’ as Gunmen Attack Convoy in Osogbo

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner