Connect with us

NEWS

We Won’t Support Anyone Agitating To Break-up Nigeria – UK

Published

on

Nnamdi Kanu, Biafra’s chief proponent

The British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr. Paul Thomas Arkwright, said on Friday that the British government was not supporting those calling for the secession in Nigeria.

The United Kingdom Government which has denied insinuation that it is in support of agitation for the break-up of Nigeria, insisted that it would only support Nigeria’s unity and ensure the progress of the country as usual.

Arkwright spoke in Ilorin, Kwara State when he paid a courtesy visit to the state House of Assembly where he met with the Speaker, Dr. Ali Ahmed and other principal officers of the House, Punch has reported.

“In a word, no, we don’t have anything to do with anyone agitating for the break-up of Nigeria.

“We’re strongly in support of the unity of Nigeria and the Federal Government of Nigeria. And that’s what the British government has consistently supported and we don’t have an interest or support anyone agitating for the break- up of Nigeria.

“For anyone to say the British government is involved in any way in the break-up of Nigeria is completely wrong,” he said.

He described Nigeria’s democratic situation as delicate but commended efforts at upholding democratic tenets and keeping the flame of democracy alive.

Advertisement
Article Banner

France, an ally of defunct Biafra in 1967, had similarly denounced any further step to actualise the secession of South East from Nigeria.

The country said that such a move had been overtaken by events and no longer in support of break-up of any part of Nigeria.

France’s Ambassador to Nigeria, Denys Gauer, said his country would not in any way work with any group agitating for the dismemberment of Nigeria.

He said France was working with Nigeria and supporting it as a country.

He spoke against the backdrop of France’s previous support for Biafra during Nigeria’s civil war.

Gauer pointed out that Nigeria has evolved since the civil war.

Advertisement
Article Banner

France has been cooperating with the country to overcome its challenges, especially the fight against the insurgency.

 

Omo-Agege
FEATURED43 minutes ago

Omo-Agege: How an Assassination Squad Attacked NDC Campaign, Threatened to Kill Me and My Coordinator in Delta

FEATURES3 hours ago

Demonstration Of Ignorance — Tinubu Rejects Subsidy Restoration Demands

FEATURED3 hours ago

‘Take Me Back to Senate’ — Omo-Agege Flags Off 2027 Campaign, Slams Oborevwori ‎

FEATURES5 hours ago

Sowore Blasts Adeleke Over Tinubu Visit Amid Osun Violence

FEATURED7 hours ago

Tinubu Receives Re-Elected Adeleke at Aso Rock, First Meeting Since Osun Victory

FEATURED12 hours ago

Oil Resumption: MOSOP Assures Ogoni People of a Good Deal, Announces Minor Cabinet Changes

Defense and Security14 hours ago

Tinubu Assigns Famadewa to Lead Service Chiefs, Ribadu for 5-Year National Security Threat Assessment, Defence Strategy Development

FEATURES15 hours ago

2027: Extend Your Love For Me To President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

FEATURES15 hours ago

Oborevwori Sets to Inaugurate Perm Secretaries Quarters Today

FEATURES16 hours ago

Omo-Agege Warns Delta Gov: You’ll be Held Responsible If My Family or I Come Under Attack as Campaigns Begin

Defense and Security1 day ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES1 day ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED1 day ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES1 day ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Defense and Security1 day ago

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke ‘Escapes Death’ as Gunmen Attack Convoy in Osogbo

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner