Connect with us

FEATURED

Buhari Halts Payment Of $418million To Paris Club Refund Contractors

Published

on

In an exclusive report from Premium Times, Buhari was reported to have directed the Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed, to halt the plan at the FEC meeting of August 3, where the matter was discussed.

The Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) had in a letter to the federal government, through the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha and signed by the Chairman of the NGF and outgoing governor of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi, described the new move as an “attempt by the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Abubakar Malami, and the Minister of Finance (HMF) to circumvent the law and the recent judgment of the Supreme Court by surreptitiously securing the approval of the FEC to effect payment of the sum of $418 million to four contractors who allegedly executed contracts in respect of the Paris Club refunds to the states and local governments.”

Before Wednesday’s meeting, the governors had written to all ministers, seeking their intervention to stop the planned deduction being pushed by the ministers of justice and finance. However, at the meeting, sources told the paper that after Ahmed and Malami made their presentations, they were countered by the Minister of Works, Babatunde Fashola; the Minister of State for Labour, Festus Keyamo and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha.

The FEC members who spoke against the deduction were said to have told the meeting that it would be sub-judicial for any payment to be made to the contractors while cases are pending in courts. They also reportedly argued that it was insensitive of Mrs Ahmed and Mr Malami to have tabled a proposal for the payment of controversial debts to contractors at a time the government is struggling to pay workers and fulfil its obligations to citizens.

In their letter to Buhari last week, the governors argued that the essence of the definitive pronouncement by the Supreme Court is that none of the contractors recommended for payment of the sum of $418 Million by the AGF and finance minister can be so paid because the contracts and payments relied upon were not processed as prescribed by the constitution and the law.

(Daily Sun)

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED3 hours ago

Cross-Sector Budget Defense: Sen. Nwoko’s Ensures Active Engagement to Enhance Transparent Resource Allocation

FEATURED5 hours ago

NSCDC Apprehends 10 Vandals, Kidnappers in Abuja

COMMUNITY REPORT7 hours ago

Isoko South Chairman Hands Over 100 Pieces of Chairs Donated to Enwhe Comprehensive High School

FEATURED12 hours ago

Isoko North Boss Hails Oborevwori’s Gender-friendly and Inclusive Approach to Governance

FEATURED12 hours ago

Delta Police Enforces Traffic Laws, to Charge Offenders to Mobile Court

FEATURED13 hours ago

Integrity Over Politics: Why Delta North Needs Ned Nwoko, a Leader with a Clean Record

FEATURED2 days ago

BREAKING: DSS Slams el-Rufai With 3-count Charges at FHC for ‘intercepting’ NSA Ribadu’s Phone Conversation

FEATURED2 days ago

Tinubu Deploys Shettima-led FG Delegation to Kano Over Biggest Market Fire Disaster

Akpeki
FEATURED2 days ago

Crisis Rocks Delta North APC as Ward Chairmen Demand Suspension of Congress Over Alleged Imposition

Akpeki
FEATURED2 days ago

Delta APC Leaders Petition Warri South West LGA Over Alleged Imposition, Constitutional Violations by Ward Chairman

El-Rufai
FEATURED3 days ago

N’Delta Coalition Calls for Immediate Arrest, Probe of El-Rufai Over NSA Phone Tapping Claim

FEATURED3 days ago

Tinubu, Oborevwori Rally Support for Nigeria’s Police at Asaba Police Games Opening

METRO3 days ago

Troops Sustains Offensive Pressure, Kills Score of Terrorists, Recover Arms, Logistics Items

COMMUNITY REPORT3 days ago

Delta Community Pays “Thank You Visit” to Council Boss

FEATURED3 days ago

I’ll Be President But I stand for PBAT and Gov Oborevwori’s Re-election 2027 – Ex-Minister Orubebe

Advertisement
Advertisement

z