Connect with us

FEATURED

‘Missing’ Arms Funds Controversy: Reps Summon Chief Of Army Staff, CBN Governor

Published

on

The Chief of Army Staff (CoAS), Lieutenant General Ibrahim Attahiru, and the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, have been summoned to appear before an ad-hoc committee of the House of Representatives next month.

Members of the ad-hoc committee, chaired by Hon. Olaide Akinremi, summoned both men on Monday after they failed to honour an earlier invitation extended to them.

The motion for their summon was moved by a lawmaker, Bede Eke, who was furious that the army chief, for a second time, did not appear before the committee despite having rejected his representative on the first day of the hearing held on March 12.

The committee is reviewing the purchase, use, and control of arms, ammunition, and related hardware by the military, paramilitary and other law enforcement agencies in the country.

ALSO READ: PDP Describes Fresh $2.5bn Arms Scandal National Embarrassment, Says Buhari Presidency, APC Stink

They had invited Attahiru and Emefiele to appear before them on Monday to answer questions relating to the purchase of arms for the security agencies.

The army chief and CBN Governor, however, failed to appear before the committee, an action which was condemned by the lawmakers.

Advertisement

Thereafter, the lawmakers passed a resolution to summon Attahiru and Emefiele to appear before them on April 7, 2021.

Recently, it was alleged that funds meant for the purchase of arms were missing under the leadership of the former service chiefs.

The claim was credited to the National Security Adviser (NSA), Major General Babagana Monguno (rtd), speaking during an interview with BBC Hausa Service earlier in March.

While the former service chiefs have since denied the allegation, the office of the NSA also said Monguno was quoted out of context and did not categorically make such a claim.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, also clarified the controversy triggered by the claim during an interview on Channels Television’s Politics Today.

“I want to assure you that nothing of that money is missing … the reference by it in the interview with Hausa Service of the BBC by the National Security Adviser, I think, has been misconstrued and mistranslated,” he said

Advertisement

This story contains information from THEWIL

FEATURED4 hours ago

el-Rufai Moved from EFCC to ICPC Detention Facility Over Ongoing Investigations

FEATURED5 hours ago

COAS Advocates for Sustainable Veterans’ Welfare Systems Backed by Law

Profiled
FEATURED5 hours ago

Alleged $6bn Mambilla Fraud: Agunloye Knew Sunrise Power Owner, Leno Adesanya Before Ministerial Appointment – EFCC Witness

FEATURED5 hours ago

Two Arraigned for Alleged N143million Fraud in Benin-City

FEATURED5 hours ago

Court Grants EFCC Interim Attachment Order on Nine Mineral-Laden Trucks Impounded in Ilorin

POLITICS6 hours ago

Isoko North Chairman Commends Peaceful Conduct of APC Council Ward Congresses

FEATURED11 hours ago

Tinubu Signs Order to Eliminate NNPCL’S Deductions, Direct Remittance of Oil Revenues to Federation Account

FEATURED13 hours ago

Electoral Act: It’s Not About Politics, It’s About Process – Tinubu

FEATURED14 hours ago

NDPC Probes Temu for Alleged Violation of Data Protection Act

BUSINESS15 hours ago

How FairMoney is Powering the Next Generation of Nigerian SMEs, By James Edeh

FEATURED1 day ago

Cross-Sector Budget Defense: Sen. Nwoko’s Ensures Active Engagement to Enhance Transparent Resource Allocation

FEATURED1 day ago

NSCDC Apprehends 10 Vandals, Kidnappers in Abuja

COMMUNITY REPORT1 day ago

Isoko South Chairman Hands Over 100 Pieces of Chairs Donated to Enwhe Comprehensive High School

FEATURED2 days ago

Isoko North Boss Hails Oborevwori’s Gender-friendly and Inclusive Approach to Governance

FEATURED2 days ago

Delta Police Enforces Traffic Laws, to Charge Offenders to Mobile Court

Advertisement
Advertisement

z