Connect with us

NEWS

PDP National Convention: Okowa-led C’ttee Bars Presidential Aspirants From Displaying Posters, Fmr Govs, Deputies Also Barred As Delegates 

Published

on

The Governor Ifeanyi Okowa’s led Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Convention planning committee have barred Presidential aspirants including former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and ex-governor of Jigawa State, Sule Lamido from using next Saturday’s convention venue for campaigns and display of posters and banners.

The party also barred ex-governor of Kano State, Ibrahim Shekarau and Governor Ayo Fayose of Ekiti State from using the event for campaigns.

Others whose presidential posters and banners are likely to flood the venue are a former Senate President, David Mark and Senator Ahmed Makarfi who would be bowing out of office few days after the convention.

Besides, Chairman of the party’s National Caretaker Committee Ahmed Makarfi, had earlier announced that the party has removed former governors and their deputy governors produced by the party as automatic delegates to its national convention.

According to Punch report, Makarfi said that the step was taken to make ensure that the outcome of the convention was not subjected to another round of legal crisis that could overturn actions taken at the convention.
Chairman of the party’s convention planning committee and governor of Delta State, Ifeanyi Okowa also told newsmen at the end of the committee’s meeting in Abuja that movement of “some important personalities” who ordinarily, would love to be around, would be restricted.

The governor said chairmanship and other aspirants would also not be allowed to campaign on the convention ground, adding that all campaigns must stop Friday.

“We need to make this announcement to all our party members and well wishers that the convention is going to be for delegates and we are expecting a little less than 3000 delegates. And those delegates have been properly accredited by the accreditation committee.

“And for those our party members that are going to come are welcome to Abuja, but they will not be allowed to come to the eagle square and this is because we want to be sure that we are in a position to deliver a credible elective convention.

“We are trying to put all these processes in place so that we don’t over crowd the venue. I want to urge aspirants to the various positions to please, keep their campaigners away from the convention venue and we believe all campaigns would have stopped by Friday.

Advertisement
Article Banner

“I will not expect any aspirant, especially presidential aspirants to bring their campaign posters, campaigners, men or women to the venue because it will not be allowed.

“And we want to appeal to all of them campaigning to desist from doing that. For those who want to campaign for future election, possibly the presidential aspirants this convention is not the place to display campaign posters or to display their intentions.

“I believe there will be an appropriate convention for that. I want to urge them to cooperate with us as a committee,” the governor said.

Present at the briefing was ‎a former national chairman of the party, Ahmadu Ali, former governors of Benue and Niger States, Gabriel Suswam and Babangida Aliyu; ex-Interior Minister, Abba Moro among many others.

[Widget_Twitter id=”1″]

Advertisement
Article Banner
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED4 hours ago

Oil Resumption: MOSOP Assures Ogoni People of a Good Deal, Announces Minor Cabinet Changes

Defense and Security6 hours ago

Tinubu Assigns Famadewa to Lead Service Chiefs, Ribadu for 5-Year National Security Threat Assessment, Defence Strategy Development

FEATURES7 hours ago

2027: Extend Your Love For Me To President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

FEATURES7 hours ago

Oborevwori Sets to Inaugurate Perm Secretaries Quarters Today

FEATURES8 hours ago

Omo-Agege Warns Delta Gov: You’ll be Held Responsible If My Family or I Come Under Attack as Campaigns Begin

Defense and Security17 hours ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES19 hours ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED21 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES21 hours ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Defense and Security23 hours ago

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke ‘Escapes Death’ as Gunmen Attack Convoy in Osogbo

Defense and Security1 day ago

UNICEF Demands Urgent Release of 78 Abducted Borno Schoolchildren

secure number one position
FEATURES1 day ago

FCT Police Arrest 40 Over Traffic Robbery, Kidnapping, Armed Robbery

FEATURES1 day ago

‘No Ban On Nigerians’ — South Africa Dismisses Visa Stoppage Rumours

BUSINESS2 days ago

BOI Applauds Tinubu’s Reforms for Success of N250 Billion Bond

FEATURES2 days ago

Tinubu Warns Politicians: No Ethnic or Religious Politics Ahead of 2027

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner