Connect with us

FEATURED

Bureau Of Public Enterprise In Alleged N23B Unremitted Ports Concession Funds Scandal

Published

on

The Senate has uncovered how the Bureau of Public Enterprise (BPE) failed to remit about N23 billion ($679.4 million – N480 per dollar) realised from the concession of various ports granted to 23 companies under the Nigerian Port Authority (NPA) for 10 years.

The Senate Public Accounts Committee chaired by Senator Matthew Urhoghide hinged the investigation on auditor-general’s report which had been transferred to the committee for consideration.

According to the query by AuGF, 23 companies were granted concessional rent in various ports under Nigerian Ports Authority for 10 years and above associated yearly rent of $679.4 million payable to NPA as at 31st December.

But there was no evidence that $679 million was collected as at when due and remitted to the Consolidated Revenue Fund.

However, the BPE in its written response to the Senate’s Committee said the concession transactions were done in 2005 and the concession agreement executed clearly showed that BPE was only a confirming party while the primary party to the concessions was the NPA.

The BPE said the responsibility for such collection was that of “NPA and not that of our agency.”

Advertisement

BPE said, “Having midwifed the concession transactions. The BPE collected some of the remittance to the NPA. The NPA has since acknowledged the transfer made regarding the rentals received on its behalf by the bureau.

”Revenue accruing on the Ports concession have, beyond 2008, been paid directly to “Landlord”, NPA and not the BPE as the OAuGF report appears to allege.

We are therefore unaware of the $679.4 million.”

The AuGF query reads, “Twenty-three (23) companies were granted concessional rent of various Ports under Nigerian Ports Authority for ten years and above with associated yearly rent of $679,403,172.00 (Six hundred and seventy-nine million, four hundred and three thousand one hundred and seventy-two dollars) payable to NPA as at 31st December, 2016.

“There is no evidence to show that the sum of $679,403,172.00 was collected as at when due and remitted to the Consolidated Revenue Fund.

“This has been communicated to the Bureau vide letter with reference No. OAuGF/RESAD/05/2016/07 dated 19th April, 2018.No response has been received from the Bureau.

Advertisement

“Unremitted funds may be misapplied by the bureau. Also, it may lead to diversion of funds to other uses.

“The director-general is required to show evidence that the sum of $679,403,172.00  was collected and remitted to the appropriate authority.” (Pointblanknews.com)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED2 minutes ago

NDLEA Arrests Real Estate Chief, Busts Woman with Drugs in Fake Pregnancy as Ivorian Excretes 82 Cocaine Wraps at Kano Airport

FEATURED5 hours ago

Oborevwori Rewards UNIDEL Best Graduating Student with ₦5m, 30 First-class with N500k Each

FEATURED6 hours ago

48-year-old Suspected Gun Runner Arrested with 969 Rounds of Ammunition in Taraba

FEATURED1 day ago

Ribadu’s Phone Bugging: DSS to Arraign El-Rufai Feb 25

FEATURED2 days ago

Pakistan Offers to Help Nigeria Fight Terrorism as Defence Adviser Meets COAS

FEATURES2 days ago

Oborevwori Boosts Infrastructure at UNIDEL, Inaugurates Faculties of Engineering, Environmental Sciences

FEATURED2 days ago

How Orubebe and Jonathan Came Close to Losing Their Lives for Amnesty

COMMUNITY REPORT3 days ago

DSCTDA Sustains Cleanup Exercise at Koka Bridge

FEATURED3 days ago

el-Rufai Moved from EFCC to ICPC Detention Facility Over Ongoing Investigations

FEATURED3 days ago

COAS Advocates for Sustainable Veterans’ Welfare Systems Backed by Law

Profiled
FEATURED3 days ago

Alleged $6bn Mambilla Fraud: Agunloye Knew Sunrise Power Owner, Leno Adesanya Before Ministerial Appointment – EFCC Witness

FEATURED4 days ago

Two Arraigned for Alleged N143million Fraud in Benin-City

FEATURED4 days ago

Court Grants EFCC Interim Attachment Order on Nine Mineral-Laden Trucks Impounded in Ilorin

POLITICS4 days ago

Isoko North Chairman Commends Peaceful Conduct of APC Council Ward Congresses

FEATURED4 days ago

Tinubu Signs Order to Eliminate NNPCL’S Deductions, Direct Remittance of Oil Revenues to Federation Account

Advertisement
Advertisement

z