Connect with us

FEATURED

Panic As Soldiers Lay Siege To Tompolo’s Country Home In Delta

Published

on

Palpable fear has enveloped oil rich Gbaramatu Kingdom, Delta state over alleged military operations.

Gbaramatu which is the birthplace of wanted former militant, Government Ekpemupolo (aka Tompolo), has been the scene of several military operations in recent years.

The people of Gbaramatu in Warri Southwest local government area of Delta State on Tuesday expressed concerns over the alleged renewed military siege to their communities, expressing fears about another military operation.

According to the Nation newspaper, the Gbaramatu Traditional Council of Chiefs, in a statement on Tuesday, warned that wild charge by military troops is capable of causing a breakdown of law and order in the region.

They urged President Muhammadu Buhari to restrain the troops.

“There is an urgent need for Mr. President to investigate the activities of the military in the Niger Delta region, as it is not within the confines of the rules of engagement and this may lead to breakdown of law and order in the region as it is happening in Gbaramatu kingdom,” Godspower Gbenekama, the council’s scribe, said.

Advertisement
Article Banner

The newspaper reports that tension has been rising in the area following last week’s failure by President Buhari to assent to the bill on the Nigerian Maritime University, which is located in Okerenkoko area of Gbaramatu.

It was not clear, however, if the alleged military operation and fear in the area were in response to the latest development over the NMU Bill.

The traditional council’s statement noted there were “renewed siege, harassment and intimidation of communities and people of Gbaramatu kingdom by the Nigerian Military through water and air.”

The statement signed by Gbenekama, who is the Fiyewei of the kingdom said: “Since then the people have been living in fears of possible military invasion like the one of May 2009, when the military overrun a number of communities, claiming hundreds of lives and the destruction of property worth billions of Nigeria.”

Gbenekama said the people of the kingdom fear that the military is trying to repeat same act, unless urgent steps are taken by the Federal Government to call the military to order.

“The recent action of the military could be described as a mischievous one as the kingdom is very peaceful and do not expect such military actions,” he added.

Advertisement
Article Banner

The Gbaramatu leader admonished the military not to hide under the guise of insecurity to unleash mayhem on their people, stressing that even President Buhari’s home was more, but without similar military onslaught.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
COMMUNITY REPORT1 hour ago

We’re Providing Improved Power Supply, Incentives, Infrastructure to Support Farmers, Investors – Oborevwori

Akpeki
FEATURED9 hours ago

APC Releases List of Presidential Campaign Council; Appoints Yari as DG, Uzodimma Secretary (FULL LIST)

FEATURES9 hours ago

Fire Guts Popular SPAR Outlet in Calabar

FEATURES13 hours ago

UPDATED: Tinubu Orders Arrest of Nwabueze, Suspension of 3 Perm Sec. as ICPC Uncovers Another Fake Office in OSGF

FEATURES21 hours ago

Why FBI Seeks Secret Court Filing Over Withheld Records Linked to Tinubu

FEATURES21 hours ago

Wike to Atiku And Obi: My Mission Is To Beat You Thoroughly And Make You Sick

Defense and Security22 hours ago

Tragedy in Ondo as 4 Amotekun Officers Killed in Deadly Ambush

FEATURED24 hours ago

Oborevwori Appoints Sakpra GM, Delta Social Investment Programme

ENTERTAINMENT1 day ago

Rockson Igelige, Intellectual Property Lawyer, Dies at 55

COMMUNITY REPORT1 day ago

Isoko South Takes Delivery of 125 KVA Mini Farm Solar Power Supply for New Secretariat

FEATURED2 days ago

‎2027: Lagos APC Declares Readiness, Says ‘Tinubu’s Journey to Victory Has Begun’

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

Ogorugba Lauds Oborevwori on Newly Inaugurated Ozoro Ultra-Modern Market

Omo-Agege
FEATURED2 days ago

Omo-Agege: How an Assassination Squad Attacked NDC Campaign, Threatened to Kill Me and My Coordinator in Delta

FEATURES2 days ago

Demonstration Of Ignorance — Tinubu Rejects Subsidy Restoration Demands

FEATURED2 days ago

‘Take Me Back to Senate’ — Omo-Agege Flags Off 2027 Campaign, Slams Oborevwori ‎

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner