Connect with us

Defense and Security

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke ‘Escapes Death’ as Gunmen Attack Convoy in Osogbo

Published

on

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, triggering an exchange of gunfire with the governor’s security personnel.

The incident occurred shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall where he had met with the monarch, following his visit to the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo, where he received his Certificate of Return after his re-election.

Adeleke arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 pm in a convoy of about 20 vehicles and was received by the monarch. The governor reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the traditional ruler during the visit.

An eyewitness, who spoke with our correspondent on the telephone on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said the attack began as the meeting was winding down after the monarch had offered prayers.

According to the eyewitness, Adeleke had already left the hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives and was inside the vehicle conveying him and his close aides when the shooting began.

She said the assailants arrived in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.

Advertisement
Article Banner

“He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.

“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene,” she said.

A trader near the palace, identified simply as Munirat, said the attackers may have learnt about Adeleke’s visit and waited for his arrival.

She said the assailants damaged the palace’s main gate and fired shots towards the entrance before being pushed back by security personnel.

“We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him. They came in a Sienna space bus. They even damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back.

“We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road,” she said.

Advertisement
Article Banner

The attack caused panic in the area, with traders and residents reportedly abandoning their businesses and running to safety as the gunfire continued.

The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack when contacted.

Alimi said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the attackers and that no casualty was recorded.

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” he said.

As of 4:45 pm, when our correspondent left the area, sporadic gunshots were still being heard around the palace, while several business owners had hurriedly shut their shops over fears of further violence.

Advertisement
Article Banner
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED1 hour ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES2 hours ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Defense and Security3 hours ago

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke ‘Escapes Death’ as Gunmen Attack Convoy in Osogbo

Defense and Security5 hours ago

UNICEF Demands Urgent Release of 78 Abducted Borno Schoolchildren

secure number one position
FEATURES5 hours ago

FCT Police Arrest 40 Over Traffic Robbery, Kidnapping, Armed Robbery

FEATURES10 hours ago

‘No Ban On Nigerians’ — South Africa Dismisses Visa Stoppage Rumours

BUSINESS21 hours ago

BOI Applauds Tinubu’s Reforms for Success of N250 Billion Bond

FEATURES23 hours ago

Tinubu Warns Politicians: No Ethnic or Religious Politics Ahead of 2027

COMMUNITY REPORT1 day ago

Tantita Has Boosted Nigeria’s Oil Revenue, Employed Over 10.000 N’Delta Youths – Consultant

FEATURES1 day ago

Jonathan Warns Serving Govs, Others to Stop Converging on States with ‘Army of Aides’ During Off-circle Elections

Wike
FEATURES1 day ago

‘If Tinubu Didn’t Allow Free Poll, Adeleke Wouldn’t Have Won’ — Wike

political structure
FEATURES1 day ago

Abuja Water Channels: Wike Vows ‘No One Will Be Spared’ in Demolition Operation

FEATURED1 day ago

APC Primaries: Ejele Sets to Withdraw Suit Against Senator Joel-Onowakpo

FEATURES1 day ago

‘Stop Burning Economic Opportunities’ — Sowore Urges FG To Legalise Cannabis

Nigerian Business News
#SPORTS2 days ago

Why NFF Ordered Super Falcons’ Technical Crew to Step Down After World Cup Blow

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner