Connect with us

#SPORTS

Why FIFA Scrapped $20 Billion World Cup Sell-off Plan

Published

on

Soccer Football - 50th Ordinary UEFA Congress - Brussels Expo, Brussels, Belgium - February 12, 2026 UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin and FIFA president Gianni Infantino pose for a photograph during the event REUTERS/Benoit Tessier/File Photo

More details have emerged why FIFA decided to rescind its plan to sell a piece of its business empire to outside investors.

The plan which had generated serious outrage collapsed on Friday after soccer officials ​worldwide and top FIFA executives, vehemently resisted it.

According to report quoted by Reuters, the deal, in which FIFA had aimed to raise up to $4.2 billion by selling a roughly 20% stake in the group, valuing the new arm ​at $20 billion, is no longer active, citing four sources ​familiar with the matter.

Although the report has not been independently verified as FIFA was yet to make a formal statement on it, multiple media platforms report including New York Post reports the deal has been scrapped.

European soccer ruling body UEFA, had on Tuesday, immediately the plans became public resisted it, accusing FIFA of putting the sport’s “soul” up for sale.

As a follow up on Thursday, UEFA’s 55 member nations also voted unanimously to boycott all FIFA tournaments, less than ​two weeks after Spain’s men’s team were crowned world champions.

Advertisement
Article Banner

According to the report, Carlos Cordeiro, a ​senior advisor to FIFA President Gianni Infantino, quit on Friday in protest at the plan ‌and ⁠FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour said staff were “deceived” by Infantino, describing the proposal as a “project of one person”.

“FIFA has proposed creating a $20-billion subsidiary, FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE), to run the World Cup and its other events, but the non-profit ​insisted that “nobody is ​selling football” and ⁠the deal had been mischaracterised in the press”, Reuters reported.

“Thrive Eternal, a fund run by Thrive Capital, founded by Joshua Kushner, ​was expected to lead the proposed investor group, FIFA said. ​Joshua is ⁠the brother of Jared Kushner, U.S. President Donald Trump’s son-in-law”, it reported.

FIFA President, Infantino had in a letter to all member associations stated that they would “receive $40 million each if they ⁠agreed to ​FIFA’s proposal by September 19”.

But FIFA said it would ​not go ahead with the plan without the support of the majority of its member associations.

Advertisement
Article Banner
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
NEWS9 hours ago

Ogorugba Congratulates Ashakah, Ozue on Their Emergence as APC Candidates Isoko North Constituencies I and II

COMMUNITY REPORT14 hours ago

We’re Providing Improved Power Supply, Incentives, Infrastructure to Support Farmers, Investors – Oborevwori

Akpeki
FEATURED22 hours ago

APC Releases List of Presidential Campaign Council; Appoints Yari as DG, Uzodimma Secretary (FULL LIST)

FEATURES22 hours ago

Fire Guts Popular SPAR Outlet in Calabar

FEATURES1 day ago

UPDATED: Tinubu Orders Arrest of Nwabueze, Suspension of 3 Perm Sec. as ICPC Uncovers Another Fake Office in OSGF

FEATURES1 day ago

Why FBI Seeks Secret Court Filing Over Withheld Records Linked to Tinubu

FEATURES1 day ago

Wike to Atiku And Obi: My Mission Is To Beat You Thoroughly And Make You Sick

Defense and Security1 day ago

Tragedy in Ondo as 4 Amotekun Officers Killed in Deadly Ambush

FEATURED2 days ago

Oborevwori Appoints Sakpra GM, Delta Social Investment Programme

ENTERTAINMENT2 days ago

Rockson Igelige, Intellectual Property Lawyer, Dies at 55

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

Isoko South Takes Delivery of 125 KVA Mini Farm Solar Power Supply for New Secretariat

FEATURED2 days ago

‎2027: Lagos APC Declares Readiness, Says ‘Tinubu’s Journey to Victory Has Begun’

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

Ogorugba Lauds Oborevwori on Newly Inaugurated Ozoro Ultra-Modern Market

Omo-Agege
FEATURED2 days ago

Omo-Agege: How an Assassination Squad Attacked NDC Campaign, Threatened to Kill Me and My Coordinator in Delta

FEATURES2 days ago

Demonstration Of Ignorance — Tinubu Rejects Subsidy Restoration Demands

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner