Connect with us

FEATURED

I May Grant Amnesty To Treasury Looters, Probe Army Commanders Over Insurgency – Atiku

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, said he would consider pardon for corruption suspects in order to help recover billions of dollars stashed abroad by the country’s politicians and government officials.

Abubakar unfolded the amnesty programme at a town hall meeting tagged: ‘’The Candidates”, organised by the MacArthur Foundation in collaboration with NTA and DARIA media on Wednesday in Abuja.

Nigerian treasury had been the target of rapacious public officials who looted it with reckless abandon, such that the Buhari administration has made fighting corruption one of its main pillars.

Buhari launched a whistle-blower scheme that netted billions of Naira and millions of dollars stashed in bank accounts or as government found out, in private homes.

In Abubakar’s view, his amnesty programme would encourage looters to voluntarily return some of the stolen funds badly needed to fund infrastructure investment and recommended sanctions for election rigging.

Atiku also said that his government would be willing to investigate the military top commanders as a way of tackling the Boko Haram insurgency in the North-East, if elected.

Advertisement
Article Banner

He said that his government would not hesitate to deal with any senior officer who failed in his duty after being adequately funded by his government.

“We cannot continue to accept that kind of situation whereby commanders lose lives, lose equipment to terrorists and then nothing happens to them,’’ he said.

The PDP presidential candidate also said that he would be willing to investigate the report of Amnesty International indicting the military on allegations of genocide.

He stressed the need for government to invest more in education and health sectors as well as to bring in more private investors to compliment governments programmes in the health sector.

He said that if re-elected he would resend a bill to the National Assembly to prosecute any government official at any level that mismanaged education funds.

Asked if he would accept the outcome of the forthcoming presidential election if he lost, Abubakar said he would only do so if the election was credible”

Advertisement
Article Banner

Atiku also dismissed allegation that he used his position in the Nigerian Customs Service to enrich himself.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the custom allegation followed the controversial importation of 53 suit cases into the country in 1984 by a first class traditional ruler in the North.

Abubakar was the Customs Officer in Charge of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport when the suit cases were brought into the country.

He also refuted allegations that one of his wives had a case of money laundering to face in the United States of America, and could therefore, not travel abroad since the allegation.

A United States Senate report had accused Atiku Abubakar of laundering over $40 million in suspicious funds into the United States between 2000 and 2008, using his fourth wife, Jennifer Douglas.

According to the report, which was written by the US Senate Sub-committee on Investigations, most of the funds were through wire transfers sent by offshore corporations to U.S. bank accounts.

Advertisement
Article Banner

Abubakar, in the town hall meeting, however, refuted the allegation, saying his wife had never been indicted or accused of such offence.

“My Wife has not been indicted and she has not been charged, so there is no way you can hold her accountable, she has been traveling to America very often,“ he said.

On the issue of farmers and herdsmen clashes, Abubakar said there was need to enlighten the herders on feeding lots.

“There is need for extensive public sensitisation of these herders to adopt this solution to minimize this crisis,’’ adding that this would not only reduce the crises, as it would also increase their income.

On the allegation that he paid less tax, Abubakar said what he paid was his personal income tax, while his companies paid their taxes also to government.

He added that there may be mistake in the privatisation done under his eight years when he was vice president “but the programme was a success.’’

Advertisement
Article Banner

His running mate, Mr Peter Obi, said that the PDP government invested heavily in the power sector but that APC government had not invested anything in the sector.

“If you say that the PDP spent $16 billion and there is no power, it is not true,” Obi said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
secure number one position
FEATURES26 minutes ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED3 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES3 hours ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Defense and Security4 hours ago

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke ‘Escapes Death’ as Gunmen Attack Convoy in Osogbo

Defense and Security6 hours ago

UNICEF Demands Urgent Release of 78 Abducted Borno Schoolchildren

secure number one position
FEATURES6 hours ago

FCT Police Arrest 40 Over Traffic Robbery, Kidnapping, Armed Robbery

FEATURES12 hours ago

‘No Ban On Nigerians’ — South Africa Dismisses Visa Stoppage Rumours

BUSINESS22 hours ago

BOI Applauds Tinubu’s Reforms for Success of N250 Billion Bond

FEATURES1 day ago

Tinubu Warns Politicians: No Ethnic or Religious Politics Ahead of 2027

COMMUNITY REPORT1 day ago

Tantita Has Boosted Nigeria’s Oil Revenue, Employed Over 10.000 N’Delta Youths – Consultant

FEATURES1 day ago

Jonathan Warns Serving Govs, Others to Stop Converging on States with ‘Army of Aides’ During Off-circle Elections

Wike
FEATURES1 day ago

‘If Tinubu Didn’t Allow Free Poll, Adeleke Wouldn’t Have Won’ — Wike

political structure
FEATURES1 day ago

Abuja Water Channels: Wike Vows ‘No One Will Be Spared’ in Demolition Operation

FEATURED1 day ago

APC Primaries: Ejele Sets to Withdraw Suit Against Senator Joel-Onowakpo

FEATURES2 days ago

‘Stop Burning Economic Opportunities’ — Sowore Urges FG To Legalise Cannabis

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner