Connect with us

FEATURES

Wike Defends Gbaja: “He Can’t Be Involved in PFIPC Scandal, I Know Him”

Published

on

constitutional amendment

‎Federal Capital Territory (FCT ) Minister Nyesom Wike, has dismissed claims linking President Tinubu’s Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, to the alleged Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC).

‎Speaking during his monthly media chat in Abuja on Thursday, Wike responded to claims by Adeniyi Adeyemi that Gbajabiamila knew about the controversial council.

‎The allegations prompted President Bola Tinubu to direct the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to investigate the matter.

Advertisement
Article Banner

‎Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar had also called on opposition parties to monitor the probe, arguing that the federal government should not be allowed to investigate itself.

‎Responding to Atiku’s position, Wike dismissed the demand and expressed confidence in the integrity of the president’s chief of staff.

‎“The demand by Atiku is rubbish. Without any prejudice, I know the chief of staff very, very well. He did not. Without prejudice…. there are people you target in government, to give bad name to your boss,” he said.

‎“This is chief of staff. This is the person who is in charge of finance and secretary to government. If you want to embarrass any government, these are the targets first,” he said

Advertisement
Article Banner

‎“Chief of Staff is seen as someone who, if we get to him, the government will be embarrassed.”‎

‎“Does it make sense? An agency that does not exist, that you will tell him to give him so and so amount of money. I mean, it’s madness.”

‎The minister questioned why Adeyemi had remained out of public view despite making the allegations, saying anyone with genuine claims should present himself to investigators instead of avoiding scrutiny.

Advertisement
Article Banner

‎Wike said he could relate to the situation because he had also been the subject of false allegations since assuming office as FCT minister‎

‎He recalled a claim that one of his sons collected $2 million to facilitate a land allocation in Abuja, describing it as a deliberate attempt to tarnish his reputation.

‎According to him, he immediately reported the allegation to security agencies, leading to the arrest of the individual behind the claim.

‎Wike said investigations later established that the allegation was false after records obtained from British Airways showed that his son had travelled out of the country earlier on the day the alleged transaction was said to have taken place.

Advertisement
Article Banner

‎The Cable reports Wike added that although some people advised him to quietly resolve the matter to avoid public embarrassment because of his office, he rejected the suggestion, insisting that he would not submit to blackmail.‎

‎The PFIPC controversy has generated public attention after the presidency described the council as a fictitious organisation.‎

‎Adeyemi is currently standing trial before a federal high court in Abuja on charges bordering on alleged forgery, impersonation and related offences arising from his purported appointment as director-general of the council.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURES26 minutes ago

2027: Extend Your Love For Me To President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

FEATURES30 minutes ago

Oborevwori Sets to Inaugurate Perm Secretaries Quarters Today

FEATURES1 hour ago

Omo-Agege Warns Delta Gov: You’ll be Held Responsible If My Family or I Come Under Attack as Campaigns Begin

Defense and Security11 hours ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES12 hours ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED14 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES15 hours ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Defense and Security16 hours ago

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke ‘Escapes Death’ as Gunmen Attack Convoy in Osogbo

Defense and Security18 hours ago

UNICEF Demands Urgent Release of 78 Abducted Borno Schoolchildren

secure number one position
FEATURES18 hours ago

FCT Police Arrest 40 Over Traffic Robbery, Kidnapping, Armed Robbery

FEATURES24 hours ago

‘No Ban On Nigerians’ — South Africa Dismisses Visa Stoppage Rumours

BUSINESS1 day ago

BOI Applauds Tinubu’s Reforms for Success of N250 Billion Bond

FEATURES2 days ago

Tinubu Warns Politicians: No Ethnic or Religious Politics Ahead of 2027

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

Tantita Has Boosted Nigeria’s Oil Revenue, Employed Over 10.000 N’Delta Youths – Consultant

FEATURES2 days ago

Jonathan Warns Serving Govs, Others to Stop Converging on States with ‘Army of Aides’ During Off-circle Elections

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner