Connect with us

FEATURED

Alleged N4.8bn Fraud: Court Issues Bench Warrant Of Arrest Against Billionaire Businessman Cletus Ibeto

Published

on

Cletus Ibeto
Billionaire Businessman Cletus Ibeto

The Lagos High Court sitting in the Ikeja area on Friday ordered the arrest of the Chairman/CEO of Ibeto Energy Development Company, Cletus Ibeto, for allegedly refusing to appear in court to stand trial on allegations bordering on a 4.8bn fraud.

Justice Ismail Ijelu issued the bench warrant for his arrest after a motion moved by the counsel to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Rotimi Jacobs, SAN, who informed the judge that the defendant had flagrantly failed and refused to appear in court despite repeated hearing notices served on him.

The EFCC had charged the defendant alongside his companies, Ibeto Energy Development Company and Odoh Holdings Ltd over an alleged N4.8 billion fraud.

The anti-graft agency filed a 10-count charge of conspiracy, fraud, forgery and fraudulent use of documents.

The defendant’s arraignment was stalled on September 28 and October 5 due to his failure to appear in court, although he was represented by his lawyers.

On the two occasions, his lawyer, Onyechi Ikpeazu, SAN, informed the judge that his client was absent due to ill health. He, however, promised to produce him in court today.

Advertisement
Article Banner

However, when the matter was called today, Ibeto was represented by another counsel, Dada Awosika, SAN, who also told the judge that the defendant was sick and could not attend court.

Following the development, the EFCC Counsel, Rotimi Jacobs, urged the court to issue a bench warrant for the arrest of the businessman.

Jacobs claimed that the defendant was in Lagos and the Commission could have arrested him, but it did not have the order of the court to do so.

“Senior lawyers cannot come to court and waste the court’s time. We urge the court to grant us a warrant of arrest to force the defendant to court,” Jacob said.

In his ruling, Justice Ijelu held that the defence counsel did not adduce any compelling reason for the court to grant his request for adjournment.

The judge further said that the court did not exist for frivolities as it only existed for dispensing justice.

Advertisement
Article Banner

“The defence counsel decided to waste the court’s time. The court is the symbol of the state and not an object of ridicule.

“Although the senior counsel appeared in this matter for the first time, two senior counsels have previously appeared and promised that the defendant will appear for his arraignment.

“In the absence of any cogent excuse to produce the defendant for arraignment, a bench warrant is hereby issued against the defendant,” the court ruled.

Justice Ijelu has adjourned the matter to November 15 for the arraignment of the defendant.

(Channels TV)

Advertisement
Article Banner
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED4 hours ago

Oil Resumption: MOSOP Assures Ogoni People of a Good Deal, Announces Minor Cabinet Changes

Defense and Security6 hours ago

Tinubu Assigns Famadewa to Lead Service Chiefs, Ribadu for 5-Year National Security Threat Assessment, Defence Strategy Development

FEATURES6 hours ago

2027: Extend Your Love For Me To President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

FEATURES6 hours ago

Oborevwori Sets to Inaugurate Perm Secretaries Quarters Today

FEATURES7 hours ago

Omo-Agege Warns Delta Gov: You’ll be Held Responsible If My Family or I Come Under Attack as Campaigns Begin

Defense and Security17 hours ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES18 hours ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED20 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES21 hours ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Defense and Security22 hours ago

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke ‘Escapes Death’ as Gunmen Attack Convoy in Osogbo

Defense and Security24 hours ago

UNICEF Demands Urgent Release of 78 Abducted Borno Schoolchildren

secure number one position
FEATURES24 hours ago

FCT Police Arrest 40 Over Traffic Robbery, Kidnapping, Armed Robbery

FEATURES1 day ago

‘No Ban On Nigerians’ — South Africa Dismisses Visa Stoppage Rumours

BUSINESS2 days ago

BOI Applauds Tinubu’s Reforms for Success of N250 Billion Bond

FEATURES2 days ago

Tinubu Warns Politicians: No Ethnic or Religious Politics Ahead of 2027

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner