Connect with us

FEATURED

Sudan Crisis: How Nigeria Secured High-level Security Agreement To Evacuate Stranded Nigerians Through Egyptian Border

Published

on

Stranded Nigerians fleecing war torn zone

Details have emerged how Nigeria reportedly secured a high-level agreement through the Egyptian National Security Adviser (NSA), Faiza Abou el-Naga, and her Nigerian counterpart, Major General Babagana Monguno, to allow a passage through the Egyptian borders for Nigerian citizens fleeing escalating hostilities in war-torn Sudan.

BIGPEN NIGERIA (www.bigpenngr.com) reliable gathered that the development stemmed from NSA Monguno’s request through the office of his counterpart which was subsequently approved by President el-Sisi of Egypt.

Thousands of Nigerian evacuees had been stranded at the Egyptian border since last week Thursday following difficulties by Nigerian officials involved in the evacuation process to secure agreement from Egyptian authorities who had demanded for visas before entry

The situation which posed a greet threat to the smooth evacuation process, however, turned positive on Sunday when the borders were flung open, with conditions, to Nigerians, following series of deft moves by top security and intelligence operatives in both countries, through some backdoor channels.

According to reliable security sources, Egyptian authorities started admitting Nigerian evacuees on Monday after Nigerian security and intelligence community started deploying their contacts and connections with their Egyptian counterparts, to remove some of the hurdles that had frustrated Nigerian representatives’ efforts.

A very highly placed source in the security community, who spoke under conditions of anonymity, told our correspondent in Abuja on Tuesday that, on President Muhammadu Buhari’s instruction, the National Security Adviser (NSA), Major General Babagana Monguno, reached out to his Egyptian counterpart, Faiza Abou el-Naga, who pulled strings that have made the evacuation process smooth.

Advertisement

Although the details of the arrangements were not made public, the source said “this initiative, which was broached and complimented by the Egyptian National Security Adviser (NSA), Faiza Abou el-Naga, and her Nigerian counterpart, General Monguno, has so far allowed a smooth movement across the border into Egypt.

“Faiza told NSA Monguno that Nigeria’s request, which he submitted, had been graciously approved by President el-Sisi, who also sent his fraternal greetings to President Buhari. Consequently, the deployment of the NAF aircrafts and the one by Air Peace were to be allowed to proceed with evacuation plans.

“Conditions required for the evacuation plans included details and schedules of the aircrafts, capacity of the aircrafts, strong pledge that once Nigerians depart the border, they would be conveyed to the designated airport, comprehensive list of the evacuees with passport numbers, valid travel documents, i.e passport or emergency travel certificate, and lastly, the presence of Nigerian government officials at the point of embarkation”, the source disclosed.

It would be recalled that fighting broke out on April 15, 2023, between the Sudanese Armed Forces, led by General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitary group, led by Gen. Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo.

The escalating conflict has claimed more than 400 lives, while another 3,500 persons have been reported injured.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED4 hours ago

How Orubebe and Jonathan Came Close to Losing Their Lives for Amnesty

COMMUNITY REPORT1 day ago

DSCTDA Sustains Cleanup Exercise at Koka Bridge

FEATURED1 day ago

el-Rufai Moved from EFCC to ICPC Detention Facility Over Ongoing Investigations

FEATURED1 day ago

COAS Advocates for Sustainable Veterans’ Welfare Systems Backed by Law

Profiled
FEATURED1 day ago

Alleged $6bn Mambilla Fraud: Agunloye Knew Sunrise Power Owner, Leno Adesanya Before Ministerial Appointment – EFCC Witness

FEATURED1 day ago

Two Arraigned for Alleged N143million Fraud in Benin-City

FEATURED1 day ago

Court Grants EFCC Interim Attachment Order on Nine Mineral-Laden Trucks Impounded in Ilorin

POLITICS2 days ago

Isoko North Chairman Commends Peaceful Conduct of APC Council Ward Congresses

FEATURED2 days ago

Tinubu Signs Order to Eliminate NNPCL’S Deductions, Direct Remittance of Oil Revenues to Federation Account

FEATURED2 days ago

Electoral Act: It’s Not About Politics, It’s About Process – Tinubu

FEATURED2 days ago

NDPC Probes Temu for Alleged Violation of Data Protection Act

BUSINESS2 days ago

How FairMoney is Powering the Next Generation of Nigerian SMEs, By James Edeh

FEATURED2 days ago

Cross-Sector Budget Defense: Sen. Nwoko’s Ensures Active Engagement to Enhance Transparent Resource Allocation

FEATURED3 days ago

NSCDC Apprehends 10 Vandals, Kidnappers in Abuja

COMMUNITY REPORT3 days ago

Isoko South Chairman Hands Over 100 Pieces of Chairs Donated to Enwhe Comprehensive High School

Advertisement
Advertisement

z