Connect with us

ENTERTAINMENT

Messi Scoops Record Seventh Ballon d’Or

Published

on

Argentina’s Lionel Messi won the Ballon d’Or award for the best player in the world for a record-stretching seventh time on Monday, beating Robert Lewandowski and Jorginho to lift soccer’s most prestigious trophy.

The forward added to his 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015 and 2019 trophies after winning the Copa America for the first time with his country in July.

“It’s incredible to be here again. Two years ago I thought it was the last time. Winning the Copa America was key,” Messi said at Paris’s Theatre du Chatelet.

“It is a special year for me with this Copa America title. It meant a lot to win at the Maracana stadium and I was so happy to celebrate with the people from Argentina.

“I don’t know if it’s the best year of my life, I’ve had a long career, but it was a special one with the title with Argentina after the tough times and the criticism.”

Messi, who joined Paris St Germain on a free transfer from Barcelona during the close season after finishing as La Liga’s top scorer with the Spanish club, collected 613 points, with Bayern Munich’s Lewandowski, named best striker on Monday, getting 580.

Jorginho, who won the Champions League with Chelsea and the European championship with Italy, ended up third on 460, ahead of France’s Karim Benzema and Ngolo Kante in fourth and fifth places respectively.

Advertisement
Article Banner

Chelsea, named club of the year, also had keeper Edouard Mendy finishing second in the Yashin trophy behind Italy’s Gianluigi Donnarumma.

The women’s Ballon d’Or went to Alexia Putellas after the Spain midfielder guided Barcelona to Champions League glory.

“The key moment was the Champions League final against Olympique Lyonnais,” she said.

Putellas is the third winner of the Ballon d’Or Feminin after Ada Hegerberg in 2018 and Megan Rapinoe in 2019.

There was no ceremony last year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

On a good night for Barcelona, 19-year-old Pedri was awarded the Kopa trophy for the best Under-21 player.

Advertisement
Article Banner

“The best way to celebrate turning 19 is receiving this award. I’d like to thank everyone at Barcelona for helping me here,” he said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURES2 hours ago

Demonstration Of Ignorance — Tinubu Rejects Subsidy Restoration Demands

FEATURED2 hours ago

‘Take Me Back to Senate’ — Omo-Agege Flags Off 2027 Campaign, Slams Oborevwori ‎

FEATURES4 hours ago

Sowore Blasts Adeleke Over Tinubu Visit Amid Osun Violence

FEATURED5 hours ago

Tinubu Receives Re-Elected Adeleke at Aso Rock, First Meeting Since Osun Victory

FEATURED11 hours ago

Oil Resumption: MOSOP Assures Ogoni People of a Good Deal, Announces Minor Cabinet Changes

Defense and Security13 hours ago

Tinubu Assigns Famadewa to Lead Service Chiefs, Ribadu for 5-Year National Security Threat Assessment, Defence Strategy Development

FEATURES14 hours ago

2027: Extend Your Love For Me To President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

FEATURES14 hours ago

Oborevwori Sets to Inaugurate Perm Secretaries Quarters Today

FEATURES14 hours ago

Omo-Agege Warns Delta Gov: You’ll be Held Responsible If My Family or I Come Under Attack as Campaigns Begin

Defense and Security24 hours ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES1 day ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED1 day ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES1 day ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Defense and Security1 day ago

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke ‘Escapes Death’ as Gunmen Attack Convoy in Osogbo

Defense and Security1 day ago

UNICEF Demands Urgent Release of 78 Abducted Borno Schoolchildren

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner