Connect with us

ENTERTAINMENT

FC Bayern Diplomatic After Lewandowski Ballon d’Or Snub

Published

on

Robert Lewandowski and FC Bayern Munich did their best to hide their disappointment after Lionel Messi beat him to the Ballon d’Or.

However, former Bayern star, Lothar Matthaeus, was adamant the Poland striker should have won.

Lewandowski was awarded the new striker of the year award at the gala in Paris on Monday after journalists had decided France Football’s big prize should go to Lionel Messi for a record-extending seventh time.

Messi won a major international honour this year as Argentina captured the Copa America but Matthaeus was staggered that Lewandowski’s record 41 goals in a Bundesliga season was not enough for the Ballon d’Or.

“Honestly, I don’t understand the world any more after this vote.

“I have huge respect for Messi and the other great players who were nominated, but nobody deserved it more than Lewandowski,” former Germany player Matthaeus, who won the prize while at Inter Milan in 1990, told Sky.

Advertisement
Article Banner

Lewandowski’s claims to the Ballon d’Or were strengthened by the fact most pundits accepted he would have won it in 2020 had the award not been cancelled because of Covid-19.

Last year he led Bayern to a Champions League, Bundesliga and German Cup treble with another glut of goals.

He at least won FIFA’s rival player of the year award in 2020 and was magnanimous as he picked up his striker gong at the Chatelet Theatre.

“I am very proud to be here. I have to say thanks to my team-mates, my coach and above all the fans. And a very special thanks to my family,” said the 33-year-old.

To be fair to Messi, he realised he was fortunate to take another Ballon d’Or after only winning the Copa del Rey with troubled Barcelona last season before switching to Paris Saint-Germain.

“It is an honour to be here with you. You have broken records and would have also deserved to win the Ballon d’Or. You had an unbelievable year,” he said to Lewandowski.

Advertisement
Article Banner

Bayern chief executive, Oliver Kahn, was as diplomatic as possible.

“Congratulations to Lionel Messi.

“But along with his striker of the year award, Robert Lewandowski would have also deserved the Ballon d’Or because for years he has been absolutely outstanding every day,” he said.

Bayern also saw Jamal Musiala finish third in the Kopa Trophy young player vote behind winner Pedri of Barcelona and Borussia Dortmund’s England midfielder, Jude Bellingham.

Manuel Neuer was fifth in the best goalkeeper category.

Advertisement
Article Banner
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURES2 hours ago

Demonstration Of Ignorance — Tinubu Rejects Subsidy Restoration Demands

FEATURED2 hours ago

‘Take Me Back to Senate’ — Omo-Agege Flags Off 2027 Campaign, Slams Oborevwori ‎

FEATURES4 hours ago

Sowore Blasts Adeleke Over Tinubu Visit Amid Osun Violence

FEATURED5 hours ago

Tinubu Receives Re-Elected Adeleke at Aso Rock, First Meeting Since Osun Victory

FEATURED11 hours ago

Oil Resumption: MOSOP Assures Ogoni People of a Good Deal, Announces Minor Cabinet Changes

Defense and Security13 hours ago

Tinubu Assigns Famadewa to Lead Service Chiefs, Ribadu for 5-Year National Security Threat Assessment, Defence Strategy Development

FEATURES14 hours ago

2027: Extend Your Love For Me To President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

FEATURES14 hours ago

Oborevwori Sets to Inaugurate Perm Secretaries Quarters Today

FEATURES14 hours ago

Omo-Agege Warns Delta Gov: You’ll be Held Responsible If My Family or I Come Under Attack as Campaigns Begin

Defense and Security1 day ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES1 day ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED1 day ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES1 day ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Defense and Security1 day ago

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke ‘Escapes Death’ as Gunmen Attack Convoy in Osogbo

Defense and Security1 day ago

UNICEF Demands Urgent Release of 78 Abducted Borno Schoolchildren

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner