Connect with us

FEATURED

DHQ Announces ‘Major Breakthrough’ In Six Months Military Operations In Northwest

Published

on

defence headquarters

Nigerian Defence Headquarters, (DHQ), has announced a ‘major breakthrough’ in military operations in Northwest in the second half of 2020.

From the dossier, troops of Operation Sahel Sanity destroyed 197 terrorists’ hideouts, killed about 220, arrested 892 suspects and recovered a large number of cache of arms.

Bernard Onyeuko, a Brigadier General and the Acting Director, Defence Media Operations disclosed this at a news conference held at the Army Special Super Camp 4 in Faskari Local Government Area of Katsina State on Wednesday.

He stated that the operations were carried out from July 1, to December 31, 2020.

Onyeuko declared that 73 AK47 rifles, one GPMG and 194 Dane guns, as well as 5,032 rounds of 7.62mm Special ammunition, 568 rounds of 7.62 mm NATO ammunition and 156 live cartridges, were also recovered by the troops.

According to him, 197 gunmen’s camps and hideouts including the notorious Dangote Triangle and several terrorists’ logistics bases were also demolished by the troops during the period.

He added that 335 suspected gunmen, 326 illegal miners, 147 terrorists’ informants and collaborators, 14 armed men arms suppliers, 24 rustled cattle marketers and 46 gunmen logistics suppliers were arrested.

Advertisement
Article Banner

“… a total of 7,761 cows, 1,867 sheep/rams and four Camels were recovered and given back to the owners by troops within the period,” Onyeuko added.”

He expressed joy that a “total of 642 abducted victims were rescued by the troops, which he noted included the rescued 344 students of Government Science Secondary School Kankara.

Within the period, Onyeuko stated that the troops successfully foiled 165 terrorists’ attacks and 81 kidnap attempts.

He recalled that Exercise Sahel Sanity was inaugurated by the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Yusuf Buratai on July 6, 2020 to consolidate on the existing Operation Hadarin Daji.

He explained that the exercise was aimed at effectively flushing out bandits, kidnappers, cattle rustlers and other sundry criminals from the region.

According to the Director, these acts of criminalities orchestrated by the gunmen have hitherto posed danger and threats to the peace and security of the people, thereby, crippling social and economic activities in the region.

Advertisement
Article Banner

He stated that the exercise which subsequently dovetailed into a real time operation had significantly brought peace and stability to the affected states of Zamfara, Katsina and Sokoto.

According to Onyeuko , the troops within the period under review carried out a series of clearance operations, ambushes, farm and other aggressive confidence building patrols within Sokoto, Katsina, Kebbi, Kaduna, Niger and Zamfara States.

He said the troops also carried out some Civil Military Cooperation projects and activities to support some host communities within the operational area of Operation Sahel Sanity.

The activities, he said, involved distribution of palliatives to locals and renovations of medical facilities at Faskari and Kauran Namoda communities in Katsina and Zamfara states.

Onyeuko added that the troops also conducted medical outreaches and distribution of palliatives to locals and flood victims at Koko-Besse and Bagudo Local Government Area of Kebbi State.

He disclosed that compensation had also been paid to farmers whose farmlands were affected as a result of the ongoing operation and due to the expansion of the Special Army Super Camp IV in Faskari, Katsina State.

Advertisement
Article Banner

He however, said that two officers and four soldiers paid the supreme price in the cause of defending the country during the period under review.

“After diligent review of the numerous successes achieved so far and the need to finally eliminate all the remnant security challenges within the region, the COAS has graciously extended the duration of the operation to last till March in order to consolidate on the gains so far achieved,” he added.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
COMMUNITY REPORT4 hours ago

Ogorugba Lauds Oborevwori on Newly Inaugurated Ozoro Ultra-Modern Market

Omo-Agege
FEATURED5 hours ago

Omo-Agege: How an Assassination Squad Attacked NDC Campaign, Threatened to Kill Me and My Coordinator in Delta

FEATURES8 hours ago

Demonstration Of Ignorance — Tinubu Rejects Subsidy Restoration Demands

FEATURED8 hours ago

‘Take Me Back to Senate’ — Omo-Agege Flags Off 2027 Campaign, Slams Oborevwori ‎

FEATURES10 hours ago

Sowore Blasts Adeleke Over Tinubu Visit Amid Osun Violence

FEATURED11 hours ago

Tinubu Receives Re-Elected Adeleke at Aso Rock, First Meeting Since Osun Victory

FEATURED17 hours ago

Oil Resumption: MOSOP Assures Ogoni People of a Good Deal, Announces Minor Cabinet Changes

Defense and Security19 hours ago

Tinubu Assigns Famadewa to Lead Service Chiefs, Ribadu for 5-Year National Security Threat Assessment, Defence Strategy Development

FEATURES20 hours ago

2027: Extend Your Love For Me To President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

FEATURES20 hours ago

Oborevwori Sets to Inaugurate Perm Secretaries Quarters Today

FEATURES20 hours ago

Omo-Agege Warns Delta Gov: You’ll be Held Responsible If My Family or I Come Under Attack as Campaigns Begin

Defense and Security1 day ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES1 day ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED1 day ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES1 day ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner