Connect with us

METRO

Karaowei, Militant Leader Who Killed Briton, Behind Killing Of Four Soldiers In Bayelsa – Investigation

Published

on

Investigations have revealed that Karaowei Gbakumor, the same notorious militant leader who police in Delta has placed an N2m bounty on his head for the kidnap and killing of a British missionary in Enekorogha, Delta state, is responsible for the latest onslaught in Bayelsa state.

Multiple sources told BigPen Online that ‘General’ Karaowei had fled Delta state at wake of the kidnap saga of the Britons and subsequent killing of late Ian Squire who was kidnapped alongside three other British nationals in Burutu Local Government Area in October, last year.

The dreaded militant warlord after his escape, our source revealed, he immediately join force with some group of ex-militants and became their leader following his notoriety in the waterways.

Our source hinted that the recalcitrant militant leader had led several kidnapping, sea robberies and other criminal activities operations in the Delta and Bayelsa state waterways particularly in Ekeremor Local Government Area, which has boundary with Delta state.

Our source revealed that Karaowei elements were responsible for the killing of a military officer few week ago in Toru-Ndoro community in Ekeremor Local Government Area, Bayelsa State which led to the invasion of the community by military troops.

The tension created in the community started following the beheading of the senior military officer by the militant gang, who made a show out of the murderous act by displaying the head round the community.

Advertisement

The slain security officer, whose identity had been kept under wraps, was reportedly killed in an undercover operation to apprehend Karaowei.

Following the development, soldiers of the military Joint Task Force operating in the Niger Delta were said to have bombed Toru-Ndoro community, despite the Bayelsa state government intervention to fish out the perpetrators of the dastardly act.

The military operation however was targeted to smoke out the gang members of the notorious militants terrorising the area led by ‘General’ Karaowei.

The gruesome murder and display of arrogance reportedly compelled the Joint Task Force (JTF), Operation Delta Safe (OPDS) to deploy troops in the area with a mandate to neutralize the gang and arrest Karaowei, the source told BigPen Online.

Sources disclosed that during the operation, soldiers shelled the community for about ten hours between 10pm on Saturday and 7am on Sunday morning, revealing that about 50 houses were allegedly burnt by the rampaging soldiers..

The source disclosed that an ex-militant leader from Ogulagha Kingdom, Delta State,  Mr. Bonny Gawei , who was said to have accompanied the beheaded security operative to Toru-Ndoro on the peace mission, was abducted by the fleeing militants.

Advertisement

His whereabout remained unknown and no contact have been made to his family members by the militant, thus fueling suspicious that the ex-militant leader, Bonny Gawei may have also been killed by Karaowei who earlier threatened to kill him.

In an onslaught which ensued thereafter, four additional soldiers and unknown number of militants were said to have lost their lives in the bloody military operation to rid the Toru-Ndoro community of ruminants of Karaowei militant gang.

The ODS (Operation Delta Safe), Commander, Rear Admiral Suleiman Apochi, had deployed more troops in the community to intensified their search to locate the hideout of the militant leader and his boys in the creeks.

A senior military officer, who spoke in confidence, confirmed the killing of four soldiers by the militants and assured that the murderers and their leader would soon be apprehended.

Lamenting the situation, the Chairman of IYC, Central Zone, Mr. Tari Porri, condemned the violent attitude of some youths in communities.

He said: “The situation there at Ndoro community was orchestrated by some of our political leaders who buy these weapons and pay these young men to intimidate people during elections and after the election, they fail to retrieve these weapons from them.

Advertisement

“Some of our political leaders celebrate these young boys more than the sane ones. As a zone and Ijaw youth council, we sympathize with those affected by the operations carried out. We condemn the act in its entirety.

“Cutting the head of a human and celebrating with it is an abomination and we condemn it.  We call on our community’s leaders and rulers to stop celebrating criminals. I am worried that if the military doesn’t succeed in apprehending the young man, his return will be deadly”.

While sympathising with the military, Porri appealed to military officers involved in the operation to ensure professionalism.

He added: “We don’t want this issue to be misinterpreted. This is a clear case of political leaders encouraging criminality and sponsoring our people against our people. We appreciate all their efforts and pray that the perpetrators are brought to book.

“We call on our political leaders, community leaders supporting criminals in our environment to stop. The Governor of Bayelsa State, who doubles as the Governor-General of the Ijaw nation has swung into action and has had several meetings with security operatives.

“The military, police, civil defence and Navy has mobilized into the community. What we want is peace to return to Ndoro community”.
The Bayelsa State Government described the recent killings  as barbaric, lawless and totally condemnable, he said.

Advertisement

Ijaw Youth Council Worldwide, led by Eric Omare , a lawyer while reacting to the onslaught had called on President Buhari and the military authority to halt the bombardment of the communities in the Niger Delta in order to avoid a repeat of similar past situations in Odi , Bayelsa state and Ajapa , Ondo state.

IYC, added that while it does not support the criminal activities of certain individuals in the region, it will be tantamount to gross injustice if the sins of few individuals are visited on the residents of the region.

A government statement signed by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Security Matters, Dr. Boma Spero Jack said that the governor condemned the crude, barbaric and reprehensible act in Toru Ndoro community.

Spero-Jack added that the governor found the act completely unacceptable and counter-productive to the security efforts of the government.

Written by Joe Ogbodu

[Widget_Twitter id=”1″]

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
Akpeki
FEATURED52 minutes ago

Delta APC Leaders Petition Warri South West LGA Over Alleged Imposition, Constitutional Violations by Ward Chairman

El-Rufai
FEATURED17 hours ago

N’Delta Coalition Calls for Immediate Arrest, Probe of El-Rufai Over NSA Phone Tapping Claim

FEATURED18 hours ago

Tinubu, Oborevwori Rally Support for Nigeria’s Police at Asaba Police Games Opening

METRO18 hours ago

Troops Sustains Offensive Pressure, Kills Score of Terrorists, Recover Arms, Logistics Items

COMMUNITY REPORT1 day ago

Delta Community Pays “Thank You Visit” to Council Boss

FEATURED1 day ago

I’ll Be President But I stand for PBAT and Gov Oborevwori’s Re-election 2027 – Ex-Minister Orubebe

NEWS2 days ago

Oborevwori Eulogies Ovie of Uvwie Kingdom on 18th Coronation Anniversary

NEWS2 days ago

Oborevwori Hails Ex-Vanguard Editor, Mideno Bayagbon at 65

FEATURED2 days ago

Oborevwori Emerges Overall New Telegraph Governor Of The Year 2025

Preliminary Voter Register
FEATURED3 days ago

Controversy Trails 2027 Election Dates During Ramadan as INEC Confirms February 20, 2027, for Presidential Polls and March 6 for Gubernatorial Elections

FEATURED3 days ago

Delta Awards Scholarship to Children of Deceased Civil Servants as Oborevwori Approves 2025 Bursary for Students

FEATURED3 days ago

Nigeria Secures Permanent Seat on the Board of African Central Bank

FEATURED3 days ago

EFCC Boss Raises Alarm Over Decline in Whistleblowing as Nigeria Misses Out on Billions in Corruption Fight

Obanikoro
FEATURED3 days ago

I’ll Spill More Beans, Expose Atiku’s Plots – Fayose Threatens, Gives 48hrs Ultimatum Over Minna Meeting’s Rebuttal

FEATURED3 days ago

Gov. Oborevwori Disburses Over N100bn to Higher Institutions as Student Enrolment Skyrockets in Delta

Advertisement
Advertisement

z