Connect with us

FEATURED

BUSTED! How Oil Thieves Stole Crude From Nigerian Export Terminal Line Into Sea For 9 Years Undetected

Published

on

New-GMD-of-NNPC-Mele-Kele

Officials in Nigeria found an illegal connection line that had been running undetected into the sea from one of its main oil export terminals for nine years. according to the head of the state oil company NNPC LTD

NNPC Chief Executive Mele Kyari testified to a parliamentary committee late on Tuesday that the 4-kilometer (2.5-mile) connection from the Forcados export terminal, which typically exports about 250,000 barrels per day (bpd) of oil, into the sea was discovered during a crackdown on theft in the previous six weeks.

“Oil theft in the country has been going on for over 22 years but the dimension and rate it assumed in recent times is unprecedented,” Kyari said in an audio recording of the briefing reviewed by Reuters.

Thieves often tap land-based pipelines to siphon oil undetected while they continue to operate, but an illegal line in the ocean is highly unusual and suggests a more sophisticated theft operation.

Forcados operator SPDC, a local subsidiary of Shell (SHEL.L), said the theft pipeline was distant.

“SPDC appreciates the additional surveillance conducted on behalf of NNPC to deal with illegal activities,” a spokesperson told Reuters by email.

Advertisement

“However, the recently discovered theft pipeline is approximately 30km away from SPDC’s Forcados terminal. It is not within SPDC’s pipeline right of way.”

Nigeria, typically Africa’s largest oil exporter, is losing potential revenue from some 600,000 bpd of oil, Kyari said, as some is stolen and as oil companies idle certain fields rather than feed pipelines tapped by thieves.

Crude oil exports fell below 1 million bpd in August for the first time since at least 1990 as a result, starving Nigeria of crucial cash.

Loadings at the terminal have been stopped since a leak was found from a sub-sea hose at the terminal on July 17. Shell said this week that it expected loadings to resume in the second half of October.

In August, NNPC awarded contracts to companies including those owned by former militants to crack down on oil theft.

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED2 hours ago

el-Rufai Moved from EFCC to ICPC Detention Facility Over Ongoing Investigations

FEATURED2 hours ago

COAS Advocates for Sustainable Veterans’ Welfare Systems Backed by Law

Profiled
FEATURED3 hours ago

Alleged $6bn Mambilla Fraud: Agunloye Knew Sunrise Power Owner, Leno Adesanya Before Ministerial Appointment – EFCC Witness

FEATURED3 hours ago

Two Arraigned for Alleged N143million Fraud in Benin-City

FEATURED3 hours ago

Court Grants EFCC Interim Attachment Order on Nine Mineral-Laden Trucks Impounded in Ilorin

POLITICS4 hours ago

Isoko North Chairman Commends Peaceful Conduct of APC Council Ward Congresses

FEATURED9 hours ago

Tinubu Signs Order to Eliminate NNPCL’S Deductions, Direct Remittance of Oil Revenues to Federation Account

FEATURED11 hours ago

Electoral Act: It’s Not About Politics, It’s About Process – Tinubu

FEATURED12 hours ago

NDPC Probes Temu for Alleged Violation of Data Protection Act

BUSINESS13 hours ago

How FairMoney is Powering the Next Generation of Nigerian SMEs, By James Edeh

FEATURED1 day ago

Cross-Sector Budget Defense: Sen. Nwoko’s Ensures Active Engagement to Enhance Transparent Resource Allocation

FEATURED1 day ago

NSCDC Apprehends 10 Vandals, Kidnappers in Abuja

COMMUNITY REPORT1 day ago

Isoko South Chairman Hands Over 100 Pieces of Chairs Donated to Enwhe Comprehensive High School

FEATURED1 day ago

Isoko North Boss Hails Oborevwori’s Gender-friendly and Inclusive Approach to Governance

FEATURED1 day ago

Delta Police Enforces Traffic Laws, to Charge Offenders to Mobile Court

Advertisement
Advertisement

z