Connect with us

FEATURED

2023: Jonathan Bows To Pressure From Top African Leaders, Highly Influential Nigerians, To Run Under APC  

Published

on

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has finally made up his mind to vie for president again owing to high-level pressure being mount on him by some African leaders and highly influential Nigerians, barely 48 hours after dissociating himself from moves by some groups to draft him into the 2023 presidential race with APC presidential form bought in his name.

Nigeria is set to go to the polls next year in a crowded contest parading many contestants in both the ruling APC and several opposition parties, including the main opposition PDP.

On May 9, Jonathan had rejected presidential expression of interest and nomination forms bought for him by people, described as nomadic Fulani pastoralists and Almajiri communities.

He was quoted as saying that it was an insult for people to buy the form for him without his consent but the former president has now made U-turn on the issue.

A dependable source in Jonathan’s camp, who pleaded anonymity, said that the former president had indeed, joined the APC formally, having registered at his Otuoke Ward in Bayelsa.

The source disclosed that Jonathan was expected to submit his APC expression of interest and nomination forms bought for him earlier in the week, on Thursday.

According to the source, the former president has secured the support of the required number of APC delegates from across the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

Advertisement

“Several bigwigs of the party have also been calling Jonathan to pledge their loyalty and support to the former president,’’ the source revealed.

The source told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) political correspondent late on Wednesday that some influential African leaders had called Jonathan earlier on Monday to advise him “to contest the election in the interest of Nigeria.

“At least three top African leaders called the former president on the matter. They all urged him to run. One of them specifically told him that it didn’t make sense travelling all over Africa settling disputes only to shy away from leadership responsibility in his home country.”

“Another reminded him of the implication of failing to put the experiences he garnered as a former Nigerian president and as a continental statesman to good use,” the source added but did not mention the names of the African leaders.

The source cited some of the African leaders as telling Jonathan that Nigeria was passing through challenging times and “needed a unifier like Jonathan at this time’’.

Jonathan, who lost power to incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari, was born in 1957 in the Ogbia district in Bayelsa State.

Advertisement

He was previously of the PDP party on whose platform he ruled Nigeria until he lost the presidential election to Buhari in 2015. (NAN)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
FEATURED1 hour ago

Oborevwori Rewards UNIDEL Best Graduating Student with ₦5m, 30 First-class with N500k Each

FEATURED2 hours ago

48-year-old Suspected Gun Runner Arrested with 969 Rounds of Ammunition in Taraba

FEATURED23 hours ago

Ribadu’s Phone Bugging: DSS to Arraign El-Rufai Feb 25

FEATURED1 day ago

Pakistan Offers to Help Nigeria Fight Terrorism as Defence Adviser Meets COAS

FEATURES1 day ago

Oborevwori Boosts Infrastructure at UNIDEL, Inaugurates Faculties of Engineering, Environmental Sciences

FEATURED2 days ago

How Orubebe and Jonathan Came Close to Losing Their Lives for Amnesty

COMMUNITY REPORT3 days ago

DSCTDA Sustains Cleanup Exercise at Koka Bridge

FEATURED3 days ago

el-Rufai Moved from EFCC to ICPC Detention Facility Over Ongoing Investigations

FEATURED3 days ago

COAS Advocates for Sustainable Veterans’ Welfare Systems Backed by Law

Profiled
FEATURED3 days ago

Alleged $6bn Mambilla Fraud: Agunloye Knew Sunrise Power Owner, Leno Adesanya Before Ministerial Appointment – EFCC Witness

FEATURED3 days ago

Two Arraigned for Alleged N143million Fraud in Benin-City

FEATURED3 days ago

Court Grants EFCC Interim Attachment Order on Nine Mineral-Laden Trucks Impounded in Ilorin

POLITICS3 days ago

Isoko North Chairman Commends Peaceful Conduct of APC Council Ward Congresses

FEATURED4 days ago

Tinubu Signs Order to Eliminate NNPCL’S Deductions, Direct Remittance of Oil Revenues to Federation Account

FEATURED4 days ago

Electoral Act: It’s Not About Politics, It’s About Process – Tinubu

Advertisement
Advertisement

z