Connect with us

FEATURED

NDDC Disowns Trending ‘N2.3b Wooden Bridge’ Project At Elebele, Bayelsa

Published

on

The Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) have dismissed rumours making the round that it executed a N2.3 billion wooden bridge project in Bayelsa state which reportedly caved in recently.

The denial followed condemnation which had trailed a digital photograph of a wooden bridge alleged to have been constructed by the NDDC at Elebele in Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa State.

Two different photographs of the said bridge believed to have been constructed with the sum of N2.3 Billion NDDC before it collapsed had since got viral on the social media in the past 48 hours.

NDDC had been enmeshed in series of financial sleaze and malfeasance by the Interim Management Committee of the agency which was recommended for a sack on Thursday by the Nigeria Senate.

The commission, however, in a statement described as ‘fake’ the picture being circulated as one of its failed project used to fleece the region of its accrued resource, saying there is no wooden bridge built by NDDC at the cost of N2.3 billion.

“The Commission hereby declares that it has no such project at Elebele. We have gone through our records for the past 18 years and there is even no contract offer for the construction of a bridge in the community”.

Advertisement
Article Banner

NDDC however disclosed that a proposal for the reconstruction of the bridge which was forwarded to it have remained at the design stage since 2018.

“The Elebele community in 2018 sought the assistance of the Commission to rebuild the bridge which had collapsed. The proposal is still going through our system and is presently at the design stage.

“While awaiting NDDC’s intervention, the Community undertook a self-help project and built the wooden bridge. It has no NDDC input. NDDC has not paid out any money for it. In clear terms, this bridge has nothing to do with NDDC.

“We urge our stakeholders to regard the post as part of the propaganda tactics of those who want the Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC, to be scrapped to deny the people of the region, the benefit of infrastructural and economic development.

“The fake photograph is a follow up to the false allegations and campaigns launched by these detractors of the Niger Delta Development Commission in the news and social media space and even at the recent public hearing by the National Assembly.

“These forces and their spokespersons are not from the Niger Delta. They are enemies of the region. The people of the Niger Delta have lined up behind President Muhammadu Buhari’s ordered forensic audit exercise.

Advertisement
Article Banner

“That exercise will account for how the projects undertaken by NDDC were done and bring to account those who failed in their responsibilities to the people of the Niger Delta Region.

“The Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC under its current leadership remains committed to ensuring the Commission achieves its core mandate as the interventionist agency for the Niger Delta region and its people.

“For the avoidance of doubt, NDDC has some of the best engineers in Nigeria and the quality of their work are world class. Those in doubt should visit the 29-kilometre Ogbia-Nembe Road in Bayelsa, which cuts through the swamps with ten bridges and 99 culverts.

“The road, constructed in partnership with Shell Petroleum Development Company, SPDC, is ready for commissioning”, Charles Obi Odili, Director, Corporate Affairs of the commission, said in a statement.

Below are the pictures of the said bridge which went viral on social media.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
Defense and Security8 hours ago

Nigerian Navy Boosts Maritime Defense as CNS Inaugurates State-of-the-Art SSV-KALI 3 Vessel Built in Delta

secure number one position
FEATURES9 hours ago

Osogbo Shooting — Police Confirm 60-Year-Old Man Dead, Vows to Arrest Suspects

FEATURED11 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Enitan as New Head of Civil Service as Walson-Jack Bows Out

FEATURES12 hours ago

Onaiyakan Breaks Silence Over Presidency’s Diatribe, Declares ‘I Am Unshaken, Fear No One’

Defense and Security13 hours ago

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke ‘Escapes Death’ as Gunmen Attack Convoy in Osogbo

Defense and Security15 hours ago

UNICEF Demands Urgent Release of 78 Abducted Borno Schoolchildren

secure number one position
FEATURES15 hours ago

FCT Police Arrest 40 Over Traffic Robbery, Kidnapping, Armed Robbery

FEATURES21 hours ago

‘No Ban On Nigerians’ — South Africa Dismisses Visa Stoppage Rumours

BUSINESS1 day ago

BOI Applauds Tinubu’s Reforms for Success of N250 Billion Bond

FEATURES1 day ago

Tinubu Warns Politicians: No Ethnic or Religious Politics Ahead of 2027

COMMUNITY REPORT1 day ago

Tantita Has Boosted Nigeria’s Oil Revenue, Employed Over 10.000 N’Delta Youths – Consultant

FEATURES2 days ago

Jonathan Warns Serving Govs, Others to Stop Converging on States with ‘Army of Aides’ During Off-circle Elections

Wike
FEATURES2 days ago

‘If Tinubu Didn’t Allow Free Poll, Adeleke Wouldn’t Have Won’ — Wike

political structure
FEATURES2 days ago

Abuja Water Channels: Wike Vows ‘No One Will Be Spared’ in Demolition Operation

FEATURED2 days ago

APC Primaries: Ejele Sets to Withdraw Suit Against Senator Joel-Onowakpo

Advertisement
Advertisement

z

   


Article Banner