Wednesday, December 19Penning issues that shape nations...

METRO

Activist To Ambode: Public Urination Can’t Be A Crime Until You Provides Adequate Public Restrooms

Activist To Ambode: Public Urination Can’t Be A Crime Until You Provides Adequate Public Restrooms

METRO, NEWS
Moves by Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State to criminalize public urination has been condemned by a Warri-based rights activist, Comrade Zik Gbemre. Gbemre noted that peeing in public places cannot be a crime until the state government make provisions for adequate toilet facilities for public use, maintaining that anything outside that would be anti-people. BigPen Online recalls that Lagos State Government had in a bid to rid the environment of all infractions, arrested five individuals for urinating openly on the streets of Lagos. The arrest of the individuals was made when the Special Adviser to the Governor on the Environment, Mr. Babatunde Hunpe, was on a sanitation inspection tour of some local government areas in the state. The State government had made it manda
UPDATED: DSS Operatives Raid Newspaper Depot In Asaba, Confiscate Tabloids Propagating Biafra

UPDATED: DSS Operatives Raid Newspaper Depot In Asaba, Confiscate Tabloids Propagating Biafra

METRO, NEWS
Operatives of the Department of State Services, (DSS), Delta state command on Tuesday raided Newspapers depot along Nnebisi Road in Asaba, the Delta State Capital. The operatives who storm the depot in Hilux van mopped up all newspapers with the name Biafra. Our correspondent reports that the operatives also raided other major newspaper centres in the metropolis, especially those along Ibusa road, the popular Nnebisi road and some opposite the Westend Mixed Secondary in Asaba. The source said the detectives were in search of Biafra tabloids and others propagating Biafra. Among the papers confiscated are Biafra Times, Biafra Star and other papers that are specifically for the promotion of Biafra agenda in Nigeria. Eyewitness said "the officials did not state their reasons fo...
Delta Police Confirm Four Killed In Asaba Hausa Quarters Attack, Arrests Two Suspects

Delta Police Confirm Four Killed In Asaba Hausa Quarters Attack, Arrests Two Suspects

METRO, NEWS
The Delta Police Command has confirmed the reported attack on Hausa quarters in Asaba, Delta State, saying fours persons were killed by the invaders. State Police Commissioner, Mr. Ibrahim Zanna who confirmed the incident which happened on Friday, September 15th, 2017, at about 10:45pm, said two suspects have been arrested so far over the incident which had caused tension of possible reprisal in the metropolis. A statement by the Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Andrew Aniamaka, who said the arrest was made at the early hours of Saturday, named the two suspects as, Abraham Ndudi ‘m’, 24 years old from Kwale, Delta State and Okereke Ifeanyi ‘m’, 21 yrs from Ogbaru in Anambra State. He said that the police are already interrogating the suspects to know their involvement in t
BREAKING: 5 Feared Dead, Many Injured As Hausa, Igbo Clash In Asaba

BREAKING: 5 Feared Dead, Many Injured As Hausa, Igbo Clash In Asaba

METRO, NEWS
Latest information reaching BigPen Online shows that there is outbreak of crisis between Hausa and Igbo in Asaba, Delta State. Our source said the Hausa community in Asaba is under attack by invaders. The source said five persons have been confirmed dead, and several others injured in the fracas which erupted between 9:00hr to 10: pm. The source said that the incident which happened at Abraka market area, dominated by Hausa people has sparked tension in the metropolis. It was gathered that the deceased persons including a woman were hacked by rampaging youths suspected to be members of IPOB who invaded the Hausa community. The deceased has since been deposited in the morgan while the injured persons hospitalized, a source said. Asaba had always been a point of refuge ...
IPOB Reacts To Defence Headquarters “Terror Branding”, Says We Don’t Carry Arms, We’ve Never Kill

IPOB Reacts To Defence Headquarters “Terror Branding”, Says We Don’t Carry Arms, We’ve Never Kill

METRO, NEWS
The Indigenous People of Biafra has reacted to the declaration by the Defence Headquarters that the group is a terrorist organisation. In a phone interview with the Channels Television , the group said it is a non-violent movement and that it has never carried arms or killed anyone. “It is very, very laughable that that is coming from a military intelligence officer. One, IPOB is a non-violent movement,” Prince Kanu, the younger brother of IPOB leader, Mr Nnamdi Kanu, who spoke on behalf of the group said. “We do not carry arms; we’ve never asked anyone to kill for us neither have we killed anyone. If you look at our records, our records are clean and straight.” Reasons given by the Defence Headquarters for declaring the group a terrorist organisation include the formation
UPDATED: Southeast Govs Meet In Enugu, Proscribe IPOB; Appeal To Buhari To Order Immediate Military Withdrawal

UPDATED: Southeast Govs Meet In Enugu, Proscribe IPOB; Appeal To Buhari To Order Immediate Military Withdrawal

METRO, NEWS
South-East Governors Forum on Friday banned all activities of Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB in the Southeast geopolitical zone of the country. This is coming same day after the Defence Headquarters declared IPOB as a "militants terrorist organisation". The prescription of the group was announced shortly after the meeting of the governor's forum held in Enugu state. Arising from the meeting, the South East Governors said that in view of the prevailing security situation in the South East and its attendant consequences, all activities of IPOB are hereby proscribed. A communique signed by Chairman, South-East Governors Forum and Ebonyi State Governor, Engr. Nweze Dave Umahi, said IPOB and all other aggrieved groups are advised to articulate their position on all national i...
BREAKING: Defence Headquarters Brands IPOB Terrorists Organisation

BREAKING: Defence Headquarters Brands IPOB Terrorists Organisation

METRO, NEWS
The Defence Headquarters on Friday formally branded pro-secessionist group, the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) a “militant terrorist organisation’’, a move which may raise more concerns of deepening the crisis in the Southeast. The declaration followed the latest face-off between the Nigerian Army and IPOB group led by Nnamdi Kanu. The decision to brand the group was contained in a statement issued in Abuja by Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, the Director, Defence Information (DDI) and obtained by BigPen Online. This is coming a day after reports alleged human rights abuses and massive onslaught on civilians by soldiers deployed for the "python dance" operation. It also came a day after the army denied report that they were withdrawing from Abia and other Southeast states follow
BREAKING: Again, Abia Governor Extends Curfew, Postpones Schools Resumption

BREAKING: Again, Abia Governor Extends Curfew, Postpones Schools Resumption

METRO, NEWS
For the second time, Abia State Governor, Okezie Ikpeazu announced the extension of the curfew imposed on Aba, the commercial nerve centre of the state. The curfew which initially was to last till Thursday (yesterday) before it was extended till Friday (today) has now being extended till Sunday, Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Enyinnaya Appolos, has said in a statement The Governor had first declared the curfew, followed the face-off between the Nigerian Army and the Indigenous People of Biafra, led by Nnamdi Kanu. The initial order lasted from 6pm to 6am. Also resumption of schools which ought to commence September 18, now moved to September 25. Enyinnaya Appolos, in the statement title: “Further extension of curfew in Aba,” said, "Abia State Governor, Dr Okezie
Egwu Eke: Army Vows To Continue Operation In Abia, Southeast, Overrules Governor, GOC

Egwu Eke: Army Vows To Continue Operation In Abia, Southeast, Overrules Governor, GOC

METRO, NEWS
The Nigeria Army has vowed to continue the Operation Python Dance in Abia State and other Southeastern part of the country. Reports earlier say the army will be withdrawing troops from the South East States as credited to the Abia State Governor, Okezie Ikpeazu and the General Officer Commanding 82 Division Nigerian Army. Reacting to the report however, in a statement signed by Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman, Director Army Public Relations, the Army declared that it will ensure the logical completion of (Python Dance) EGWU EKE II in Abia and the 5 South-East States. “The attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to some stories in the media that it is withdrawing its troops from Exercise EGWU EKE II, crediting such information to Abia State Governor and the General
Gov. Lalong Imposes Dusk-to-Dawn Curfew In Jos Over Hausa, Igbo Clash

Gov. Lalong Imposes Dusk-to-Dawn Curfew In Jos Over Hausa, Igbo Clash

METRO, NEWS
Governor Simon Lalong of Plateau state has declared a dusk-to-dawn curfew in Jos over reported clash between Hausa and Igbo indigenes in the state’s capital. The was contained in a statement by Director of Press and Public Affairs to Governor Lalong, Emmanuel Nanle Samuel, who also said that the governor was dismayed at the tension that was building up in the state. According to the statement, “Consequently, the governor has directed an immediate imposition of curfew from dusk to dawn (6pm – 6am) within the Greater Jos-Bukuru Metropolis, until further notice. The deployment of security personnel to all flash points within the metropolis has also been directed to ensure compliance with the curfew order and to avert any further breach of law and order. “The governor wishes to