Connect with us

FEATURED

Months After Accusing Army GOC Of Alleged Oil Theft, Wike Hosts Top Military Brass At His Office

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike, on Friday hosted top military brass at his office in Port Harcourt, River state capital months after allegedly accused the former General Officer Commanding the Army’s 6 Division in Port Harcourt, of running illegal bunkering in his state.

The governor at the meeting advised top military personnel not to allow themselves to be used by politicians, because according to him, the security architecture suffers when politicians influence military operations.

Speaking during the courtesy visit by General Felix Agugo, the New General Officer Commanding 6 Division of the Nigerian Army at the Government House Port Harcourt, Governor Wike said that some politicians make promises to military officers, only for them to abandon them later.

He said: “Don’t allow politicians to use you. Otherwise, they will use and dump you. They will tell you that they will make you this or that, but at the appropriate time, all their phones would be switched off.

“Do the right thing and the society will move forward. “

Governor Wike said that if the military restricts themselves to their security duties, the country will be better for it.

Advertisement

He said security agencies have a responsibility to protect lives and property, noting that the Rivers State Government will continue to support the military improve the security architecture.

Governor Wike said that he will never approach the military or any heads of the security agencies in the state to do what is wrong.

“Why nobody has been able to defeat us is that our hands are clean. I will never call you to release an arrested criminal, cultist or kidnapper . If anyone who is working with me seeks such favour, inform me.

“We must work together to move the state forward “, he said.

The Governor thanked the Nigerian Army for restoring security in the Ogoni Speaking area of the state

“We have to initiate awards for performing officers to encourage them to continue to work”, he said

Advertisement

He noted that the initial situation where a General Officer Commanding 6 Division resumed work, without visiting the Rivers State Government House where the headquarters is situated, but visited other adjoining states proved that something sinister was planned.

According a press release by Simeon Nwakaudu, Special Assistant to the Rivers State Governor, Electronic Media, the General Officer Commanding 6 Division of the Nigerian Army, Major General Felix Agugo had earlier thanked the Rivers State Governor for his support in the operations of the Nigerian Army in the State.

He said: “I must place on record that I have inherited a Division that is grateful to the Government of Rivers State for your support for our operations and sustenance.

“I bring you the appreciation of the Chief of Army Staff for the good things that the Army has received from the Rivers State Government.”

He also commended the Rivers State Governor for setting up the Operation Sting Security Outfit. He said that the Outfit complements the efforts of the Nigerian Army in security improvement.

“We promise you that the investment you are making to enhance security will not be in vain. We will ensure that you achieve the security that you desire “, he said.

Advertisement

The General Officer Commanding 6 Division of the Nigerian Army commended the Rivers State Government for the support in the establishment of camps for Exercise Crocodile Smile.

He said that he was at the Government House Port Harcourt to pay his respects to the Rivers State Governor as the host of the Headquarters of the 6 Division.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
COMMUNITY REPORT23 hours ago

DSCTDA Sustains Cleanup Exercise at Koka Bridge

FEATURED1 day ago

el-Rufai Moved from EFCC to ICPC Detention Facility Over Ongoing Investigations

FEATURED1 day ago

COAS Advocates for Sustainable Veterans’ Welfare Systems Backed by Law

Profiled
FEATURED1 day ago

Alleged $6bn Mambilla Fraud: Agunloye Knew Sunrise Power Owner, Leno Adesanya Before Ministerial Appointment – EFCC Witness

FEATURED1 day ago

Two Arraigned for Alleged N143million Fraud in Benin-City

FEATURED1 day ago

Court Grants EFCC Interim Attachment Order on Nine Mineral-Laden Trucks Impounded in Ilorin

POLITICS1 day ago

Isoko North Chairman Commends Peaceful Conduct of APC Council Ward Congresses

FEATURED2 days ago

Tinubu Signs Order to Eliminate NNPCL’S Deductions, Direct Remittance of Oil Revenues to Federation Account

FEATURED2 days ago

Electoral Act: It’s Not About Politics, It’s About Process – Tinubu

FEATURED2 days ago

NDPC Probes Temu for Alleged Violation of Data Protection Act

BUSINESS2 days ago

How FairMoney is Powering the Next Generation of Nigerian SMEs, By James Edeh

FEATURED2 days ago

Cross-Sector Budget Defense: Sen. Nwoko’s Ensures Active Engagement to Enhance Transparent Resource Allocation

FEATURED2 days ago

NSCDC Apprehends 10 Vandals, Kidnappers in Abuja

COMMUNITY REPORT2 days ago

Isoko South Chairman Hands Over 100 Pieces of Chairs Donated to Enwhe Comprehensive High School

FEATURED3 days ago

Isoko North Boss Hails Oborevwori’s Gender-friendly and Inclusive Approach to Governance

Advertisement
Advertisement

z